Just graduated, ask me anything!
Last Post 14 Sep 2019 04:23 AM by jdhusker. 171 Replies.
Author Messages
UrsusAureus

--
07 Mar 2015 04:16 PM
    I just graduated yesterday from V-190- if you have any questions about recruit training, just ask me anything! I'll answer everything I feel is fair to be answered...being surprised on certain things is an important part of the training.

My orders? USCGC Morgenthau home ported in Honolulu!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    07 Mar 2015 04:18 PM
    Congrats! I'm going in 30 days. What did you put down on your dream sheet? Hawaii, sounds awesome!
    UrsusAureus

--
    07 Mar 2015 04:48 PM
    Hawaii was my #1 choice. A big cutter wasn't, but I indicated that area was more important than which job (sn or fn), as long as I can get involved in LE operations and get on a boarding team- so all in all I got what I asked for.

The way it worked was: you have to indicate/request ONLY your top 4 districts (nothing more specific), whether you want to be a seaman or a fireman, and indicate whether the job or the area is more important. You have a free comments section to give them a better idea of what you want, but you CAN'T use proper nouns such as the names of cutters, units, states, cities, etc.

Which always leads to funny/creative writeups that I've been told crack the detailers up. My shipmate that wanted Texas asked for "The largest state in district X that has a single star on its flag and borders our neighbor to the south"

An important thing that our YN did beforehand was show us the most current "open billet count" for each district: it showed how many spots were available in each district broken down by afloat, ashore, and support. At the time district 14 showed zero ashore billets, so I knew not to expect to get my desired small boat station.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    07 Mar 2015 05:08 PM
    Wow thank you so much! I really need to contemplate job or location then. Anything you wish you would have worked on more before you left ie studying something or physically worked out more?
    tsmoore88

--
    07 Mar 2015 09:49 PM
    I ship out in mid April- any tips for boot camp that will help me be more efficient?

Few more questions if you've got the time:
    What were some reasons you saw recruits get reverted for?
    What was a typical morning like? PT and running?
    Sounds silly but should I pack a toiletries bag?
    God, Country, Family
    "Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day."
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    08 Mar 2015 01:46 PM
    Welcome to dry dock, UA! Let me tell you how much fun it is......
    UrsusAureus

--
    08 Mar 2015 06:50 PM
    stealth: Definitely memorize everything in your Helmsman and any materials that they give you at your recruiting station. Some material you don't get until you arrive (which must be memorized), so just worry about those items you actually have access to for now. Have it 1000% locked down in memory so you can focus on all the other stuff once you arrive. Especially Rates and Ranks. Your chain of command (Battalion Commander and Above) can easily be found in any pdf of a recent grad program, brought to you by Google.

As for getting in shape, yes that's a definite given. Especially the exercises used on the PFT and definitely swimming. If you fail the swim test, you have to wake up at 0400 to go to remedial swim, which will really screw with your ability to do well in other areas. Practice shaving and showering quickly. Very very quickly. Like 30 second showers (combo shampoo/body wash helps with this), and 1 minute shaves (see how well you can handle no shaving cream or my trick, liquid hand soap). If you show up well-practiced in the basics of ironing and clothes folding, that will also be very helpful.

tsmoore: See above for efficiency. Reversions for the ones I saw were almost all for a combination of many little things. They just weren't "getting it." They couldn't communicate like we were taught, they couldn't absorb any required knowledge, they couldn't keep their military bearing, they couldn't arrange their racks every day. Mornings vary depending on weather and the week of training you're in. For us the weather was bad so it was mostly indoor PT...bikes or weights mostly. In your toiletries bag make sure you bring at least 8 razor cartridges and lots of combo body wash/shampoo. Everything else needed will be provided.
    tsmoore88

--
    09 Mar 2015 01:13 PM
    UrsusAureus- Thanks a lot for the lengthy reply and all of the info! I didn't know we worked out with weights at boot, I know it sounds crazy but I am looking forward to it!

From what I have read you process through the USO office in Philly- do you get a chance to go shopping before our am I gonna have to buy a bunch of tiny shampoo/body wash bottles?
    God, Country, Family
    "Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day."
    UrsusAureus

--
    09 Mar 2015 09:27 PM
    tsmoore- You can't check any luggage, so you have to bring whatever is allowable by carryon for TSA. I brought combo soap shampoo in a bunch of refillable little bottles from Target. Once you arrive in Philly you *could* shop inside the terminal, but you probably won't find what you need and you're supposed to go straight to the USO anyways because they are waiting for you so that they can fill the bus to Cape May.

Keep in mind they will issue you plenty of bar soap and shampoo, I'm just saying what I think is a good idea to help with efficiency.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    10 Mar 2015 03:17 AM
    We have pinned this post. Feel free to ask away and those newly graduated will chime in!
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    tsmoore88

--
    11 Mar 2015 08:14 AM
    UrsusAureus,

What was the most fun you had at boot camp?

Just wondering, I don't think I've ever seen anyone ask that so I figured I would!
    God, Country, Family
    evelin.1094

--
    11 Mar 2015 09:38 AM
    My boyfriend just left to the Coast Guard bootcamp yesterday. I have a couple questions.

1. How often does he send letters, and when can I send my letter.
    2. On the booklet that he received it gave an example on how i should write the name and address, but what if i dont know what hall he is in what do i do?
    3. After his graduation does he get to come back with us? For how long?
    4. When he gets to choose the 3 places where he wants to be stationed, can he pick states close by?

thanks for the answers in advance!

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    11 Mar 2015 10:04 AM
    Hi Eve, My son is there now. You can send a letter right away. We haven't used the hall name on any letters, and they got through. He might or might not get a chance to write. They have almost no free time until the second Sunday, and I have no idea what kind of letter writer your gut is. Ours is not much of a writer, but we've gotten 4 letters and a card. I suggest you join the Facebook page for his company. You just need to know the company name. The administrators are very knowledgeable and helpful. They get 5 days leave afterward, then travel time (usually). He'll be able to request district. But there are usually lots of states in a district. Google Coast Guard Districts and you'll see what I mean. And he can request a small boat station or a cutter, large or small. And there is a spot to add comments about preferences. That doesn't mean he'll get it. But our son's company just got their assignments, and most seemed to get something similar to what they wanted, or at least were pretty happy. Good luck!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    11 Mar 2015 10:55 AM
    When he gets to choose the 3 places where he wants to be stationed, can he pick states close by?

You should start preparing yourself now for him to be stationed in a state far, far away. The CG will do its best to put give him an assignment he wants, but it's not always possible.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Mar 2015 01:39 PM
    Evelin -

Your recruit can write on Sunday's. You can write every day if you like.
    When the Hall is posted, I'll let you know what it is. Right now, just address it as it is in the book, include Recruit Company Alfa-191.
    He does get to go home, if he so desires. He will get 5 days of leave.
    He chooses 3 districts. So if you live in Texas and he picks D8, he could get stationed in North Dakota (not likely but it is included in that District). Gears is probably accurate, get ready for long distance. But it isn't that bad. You adjust. My son and his then fiancé, now wife, managed. She was in Connecticut, he was in Washington state. They just did what they had to do. They did that for a year before the wedding. Longer if you count his A School in Petaluma, California before he was stationed in Washington.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    evelin.1094

--
    11 Mar 2015 02:42 PM
    Thank you so much for the answers!
    what does Recruit company alfa-191 mean?
    where are you able to find out where the hall is?
    Also, i was just surfing the web and seen they get something like Whiskey 190, Xray 180 what is that?
    MossyRhoades

--
    11 Mar 2015 04:48 PM
    evelin.1094,

Alfa-191 is a company name, whether or not that is his company--I'm not sure. Whiskey-190, Xray 180, etc., are other company names. Companies use the phonetic alphabet (alpha, bravo, charlie, delta, echo, etc.), from A-Z and then a number. As far as I understand they go in order from A-Z with a number (ex. Alpha-189), once they get to Z (ex. Zulu-189) they go back to A with the next corresponding number (ex. Alpha-190). I hope this helps, and I hope I didn't confuse anything as I'm just DEP'd in and ship to Cape May April, 27th

Good luck!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Mar 2015 06:29 PM
    You explained it perfectly. And yes, Alfa 191 is who shipped yesterday.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    UrsusAureus

--
    12 Mar 2015 12:25 AM
    tsmoore:

Deciding what was "fun" is hard to answer since so little was "fun." I think what comes to mind as "fun" was really what was "relaxing." The most fun I had in bootcamp, other than the stuff that happens at the end of training that you shouldn't be thinking about anyways (liberty, CC debriefs, pizza party), was volunteering for all the random work details.

Call me crazy, sure. But when you're getting screamed at or ITed all day, going out with my shipmates to do nothing but shovel snow was a chance for some peace and quiet. And because of that I found it to be somewhat meditative and therapeutic. Some work details end up being pretty unusual and turn out to be fun/interesting. We got to spend an evening role playing scenarios to help train the students in Company Commander school, for example.

Something else that was fun was survival float/mustang suit day. We were so sleep deprived, that putting on a big puffy suit and peacefully floating for 10 minutes on your back in the pool turned into an involuntary nap for pretty much the entire company.
    skip21146

--
    12 Mar 2015 01:02 PM
    UA,
    My son left a few days ago. Did you every think that you would not make it through? My son knew the General Orders and could identify most of the ranks and insignias. His PU/SU and mile were all good. AT least in the comfort of home. I am sure that all the required knowledge and physical aptitude is much harder while getting screamed at and little rest.
    What was the worst part of Basic for you?
    evelin.1094

--
    13 Mar 2015 09:49 AM
    can someone write how to exactly form the address and the name when sending a letter'
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 Mar 2015 10:35 AM
    In the FAQ section and family section there is a thread about What company is my recruit in. I have to edit it when I get home to clean up the Alfa-191 post. But that will have the format of the address there.

http://www.uscg.org/Forum/aft/12196.aspx
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    UrsusAureus

--
    15 Mar 2015 06:20 AM
    skip: I personally didn't think I would not make it through, but from what I understand most people do have those types of doubts. One doubt I and everyone else had, which is what I would say was the worst part of basic, was doubting we would make it through IN EIGHT WEEKS.

The worst part for me was the constant looming threat of getting reverted to an earlier company. There's so many things that you can do to get reverted, and as the weeks get later on the easier it is to get reverted. You see so many of your shipmates publicly reverted (in the Galley, in formation, in the squad bay, etc) "for effect" so that everyone else can see and hear.

That is used as a huge psychological tool to weigh down on the recruits, and it's very intentional. They want you to get used to working under stress. But man, it sucks to worry about it for 8 weeks. For most, redo-ing 7 days isn't the worst thing ever, it's the worry about disappointing and inconveniencing your family, having them lose money and time having to re-book travel for your graduation, or in the worst case not be able to come to graduation anymore with your new grad date. So since you're the recruit's family member, I'd say to reassure them (by mail) that they should just focus on doing well, not worry about family plans regarding graduation, that the family will take care of all that, etc, to help put their mind at ease.
    Kinch

--
    15 Mar 2015 08:05 PM
    That's crazy. How many get reverted? Like what percentage? It's weird that it's late in the process that they revert people. You'd think they would revert the ones having problems earlier.
    Kinch

--
    15 Mar 2015 08:08 PM
    Also, when is the first PT test? I am prepping my son who doesn't leave until September, but the sit ups are hard he barely makes it. Cupping your hands over your ears ends up making it pretty difficult. He touches his elbows to his knees and shoulder blades to the ground is that how they count it?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    16 Mar 2015 06:17 AM
    My son is in basic now. They started with 120, now have 59. Going on to week 7. Most were reverted, some discharged (not honorably). I do not know if the 59 includes those reverted from previous classes. We had our first phone call with on base liberty last Saturday. He said the pressure is getting worse, and they are reverting for the smallest things because they should know better now.

It is tough.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    16 Mar 2015 07:26 AM
    @Kinch - I've told this story before but you are new... When my ex was in boot, week 7, off base liberty. That was back in the day you got a full 24 hours. They warn you, don't come back hungover, drunk, sick, don't eat spicy food, don't drink... But there are always a few in every crowd. Well several of my husband's shipmates came back to base still drunk from the night before. They literally had 1 week left, graduating on Friday. I don't remember how many of them there were but they were bounced back all the way to week 2! They got to have that fun ALL OVER AGAIN, almost from day 1.

There really is no percentage, no calculation. The CC's are just taught, you see something wrong, if the only way to fix it is bounce someone, they will. Recruiters and CC's look at these boots and say there is a chance I could be on a ship with them. I want to be able to trust them with my life. One of the CC's that was in Cape May when my son was there (he wasn't my son's CC) transferred to his ship. Colin asked him a lot of questions about being a Company Commander. Colin never had a desire to do that and talking to this particular GM cemented that for him. But he has a lot of respect for those guys and girls. They work harder than the recruits and have to know ALL the answers. People can get reverted for the smallest and largest of reasons.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    16 Mar 2015 09:44 AM
    The Admins for his company facebook page said that there was an extreme case where a recruit was reverted on the morning of graduation. It must be noted it was for disobeying a direct order.
    Kinch

--
    16 Mar 2015 12:28 PM
    Thank you for the responses. We are prepping now hard for the PT and the required knowledge. The pt thing scares me and my kid is in excellent shape. He can do it all but sometimes depending how hard he worked out at school that day he barely passes the sit-ups. Also my kid is not a drinker nor is he disobedient. He is also great at memorization. What he is is someone who is very naive and does NOT pay attention to detail. I was in the army and know how much that is emphasized at basic. That too worries me. I guess being reverted isn't the end of the world if it happens. It sounds like it happens more often than I thought. In the army it was called being recycled and it wasn't the end of the world but it was close. And that was starting back at day one.

Oldguard2 we toured the Midgett this weekend it was fascinating. Wish I could join. Incidentally the kid we visited is new and is doing fabulous. Just got out of basic late last fall/winter. Is in good shape and was a great high school athlete. He missed one of the events on the first Friday pt test by a couple of reps and had to do some remedial for maybe 2 weeks I think. Under the new standards he wouldn't even be in the Coast Guard now. That's the kind of crap that worries me.

Thanks for the responses guys and gals.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Mar 2015 05:15 AM
    Just make sure he/she is fully prepared. Don't be so worried about reversion rates. As the poster, don't book airline tickets until week 5 or even 6. I'm a fan of southwest. They don't charge a change fee, only the difference in the price of the ticket if there is an increase.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Ottopilot

--
    25 Mar 2015 04:50 PM
    Wow all these comments are bringing back a lot of memories. I was in X-126, thankfully from start to finish. There was a 50% reversion rate back then (1987). I had no idea what I was getting into, my recruiter called it "Basic Training" so I thought it was just to go over the basics. I had no idea I was going to boot camp. I didn't know anyone who was in or had been in the CG, so no one to ask. So different now with the web.

I had a package of Fig Newtons with me on the bus from the Philadelphia Airport to Cape May. They were like money on that bus, like a last meal for all of us. I think of that trip every time I have a Fig Newton.

When I got to boot camp I was told that it was ranked the toughest of all the services. I don't doubt it. I was scared to death. I had never even heard of a Petty Officer before getting to Cape May, and I didn't even know there was a difference between officer and enlisted. But, I worked really hard, and aced the test that covers the ranks/rates/military stuff. I became the Master at Arms (or was it Sergeant at Arms?) over all the female recruits. I avoided all the drama as much as possible and studied hard. I won the Marlinspike Seamanship Award, which went to the recruit with the highest score in the seamanship area. I remember getting the award at graduation from the CO. He shook my hand and said I was the first female recruit to win that award which shocked me. Truthfully I went after it because I thought it would be cool to have a souvenir to take home from boot camp. I still have the knife.

It was so cold there. Especially standing at attention waiting outside the chow hall while the snow blew through. I only ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, because I was afraid of the food servers. I only lost 4 lbs while in boot camp, but I had to buy new clothes when I left because the ones I arrived in were way too big then.

I didn't have much experience with guns before then. I was very nervous about that. We shot the M-16 and 45s. Right after that they switched to 9mms. IIRC I qualified expert and sharpshooter. The range coaches said the women tended to do better at the range than the guys because the women would listen to the coaches and the guys would assume they already knew how to shoot.

Boot camp changed me. Even though I was terrified of it when I arrived, I know that I grew up there. The Coast Guard has everything to do with who I am now and where I have gone in my life. 

I was a reserve for about half of my 7 years in, and it was great because I could do stints of TEMAC (temporary active duty) and various places and have so many new experiences. I learned to embrace challenges and opportunities. I would drill on Fridays and Saturdays so I would have a head start on the weekends at my units. I didn't wait for permission to qualify as JOD (junior officer of the day)  or Boarding Officer or Pollution Investigator at my MSO ( I was at Miami and San Diego), and it really helped me gain respect from the regulars when they saw I made the effort, especially when it would mean that they wouldn't have to be on duty on the weekends since I was qualified as JOD and could take the duty for them. Even though I was just an E-5, the officers on my weekend would have to report to me since I was more qualified than them. That is the greatest thing about the Coast Guard; if you put the effort in and do more than is expected from you, you will get respect and more responsibility. It is not as rank-based as the other branches.

BTW, I have a recurring dream where I'm back and boot camp and excited to be there. The thought of being able to have that challenge again is somewhat appealing to me, but then I remember what a metal trash can sounds like when it is thrown across the squad bay at 5 am.

So for those of you who are thinking about enlisting..... seize the opportunity with everything you have. It will change you and the rest of your life.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Mar 2015 06:29 PM
    Excellent share Ottopilot. My ex was India 121, graduated October 1985. It's funny that I wasn't the one there... But I can still remember the company name, the CC. Yep, changed even us civilians at home.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    coastie47

--
    31 Mar 2015 08:29 AM
    Getting ready physically , my question is for the running , what is a good distance i should be doing to train for the pt ? i am currently doing 2 miles every day or every other day depending on my schedule .
    UrsusAureus

--
    03 Apr 2015 06:35 PM
    For running, 2 miles is a good bare minimum prep....but make sure your pace stays up because pace will matter for the PFT (i.e. your minimum passing time...plan to beat that by 2-3 minutes AT LEAST to consider yourself in satisfactory shape). It will also depend on the time of year you're going. If you go in the summer, expect to run a lot, and good distances. I knew I was going in the dead of winter, so I trained on stationary biking more (too cold to run outside most days), which turned out to be a correct strategy.
    cardintr

--
    08 Apr 2015 07:35 AM
    what types of things are recruits getting reverted/dismissed in regard to honor violations? Ive read about stealing candy bars from desks and studying in the bathroom, but is this the kind of stuff it really is? Are recruits getting caught lying, not telling the entire story, cheating? I personally am glad to know that recruits are being held to a high standard and expected to behave honorably, but find it hard to believe how many seem to struggle.
    Diesel

--
    08 Apr 2015 09:26 AM
    It just depends. Some people are dumb enough to lie directly to the CC's. Others just can't keep up with required knowledge and need more time. if you leave your rack unlocked and are not within arms reach expect to be reverted. It really depends but it is not always an outright honor thing. One guy in my company was reverted for having his blousing straps not hooked around his shoe shine kit, but laying on top of it. He hadn't done anything else wrong but if it is late enough in the weeks something like that is enough. It's simple, follow the rules. Still, if it happens just keep moving forward.
    skip21146

--
    08 Apr 2015 10:55 AM
    What weeks, typically have the highest reversion rate? 1-8.
    Diesel

--
    08 Apr 2015 11:10 AM
    Every week. That changes from company to company. At the beginning it takes more to get reverted since you don't know anything. At the end you are expected to set an example so it doesn't take much. Just always do everything to the best of your abilities. If you do that you should be fine. Sometimes that isn't enough but if you truly gave it 100% what else can you do?
    skip21146

--
    08 Apr 2015 11:41 AM
    Thanks, my son in in A-191 (week 5), and so far so good.
    danj25

--
    29 Apr 2015 08:26 PM
    What eye color test do they give you when you first get to Cape May? Im all set to swear in and I would like to make sure they retest you at boot as my recruiter told me . Thank you!
    mfrazie5

--
    27 May 2015 06:11 AM
    Hey, I leave June 2nd, and I don't have my physical copy of my helmsman, I've been using the online version, will I have an opportunity to receive one at basic? Also, I really suck at push-ups...I can barely do one....what do I do? I've been trying like hell to build up, but it's just not working out for me. Will I automatically be reverted?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    27 May 2015 10:20 AM
    You leave for basic in 6 days and you can barely do one push-up? Thats not good... Unfortunately there is not much you can do. On October 1 of 2014 they changed the rules, you show up ready to pass the physical requirements or you get sent home. Your recruiter should have made this clear to you. I would call your recruiter and let them know the situation there is no point for you to ship out just to be sent home.

IF you get the chance to enlist again you need to start physically preparing MONTHS in advance. Work out every single day. During your workouts make sure you do running, sit-ups, flutter kicks, and pushups as well as other endurance training. When you’re not training do pushups every chance you get, no matter how busy your life is you can find time to drop down and push the deck. If you can only do 1 true pushup do as many as you can on your knees every single chance you get. Eventually you will work up to 10 true push-ups. That’s when I would switch from knees to regular.

Improving push-ups is a slow process that takes patience but it’s not the most difficult exercise to improve on. This is all from experience, when I first started the recruitment process I was overweight and could barely do 5 pushups, 3 months later and I could do 35 and my weight, run time and sit-ups improved greatly.
    "You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
    mfrazie5

--
    27 May 2015 08:47 PM
    From my understanding, I thought I only had to do 6 push-ups or more by the first week. I believe that I can work up to those six by the 2nd. Don't get me wrong, I've been working my butt off trying to build. I'm solid in all other areas of physical fitness, but I'm really weak in the arms. As far as re-enlisting, I'm in the CSPI program which is a precommissioning officer program, so I don't know how that would work out as far as having to do basic training again if I'm sent home.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    28 May 2015 04:58 AM
    I can answer the question about the Helmsman. You will be able to get one at boot camp, either on your first or second day (can't remember which). They ask if anyone needs one. You'll probably get yelled at for not having one (regardless of the circumstances), but you get yelled at for literally everything in those first few days, so don't worry about it.

Good luck with the push-ups.
    USCG STA New York, Staten Island
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 May 2015 06:01 AM
    Mfrazie... Reverted??? You can and will be sent home. If you cannot pass the PFT you need to speak to your recruiter NOW. It will not be beneficial to show up unprepared. If you can barely do one more when you are rested, calm, no one yelling at you... You will not be able to do 2 under the extreme stress of boot camp. You are setting yourself up for failure.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    James59

--
    28 May 2015 12:25 PM
    My son is leaving for Cape May on Sept 1st. Looking at Bootcamp.coastguard.dodlive.mil it reads bootcamp is a 3 month program? thought it was a 8 week program?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    28 May 2015 12:56 PM
    It can be as long as that. Its 8 weeks if you dont get reverted or get injured. When I was there the CC's told us to think of it like a 12 week program because you only graduate in 8 weeks if you are on point. They made sure we knew that none of us were on point and made us think that none of us would graduate. In reality about 50% of the company got reverted. So on average the program is longer than 8 weeks for a large group of recruits.
    "You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    28 May 2015 05:55 PM
    Posted By James59 on 28 May 2015 01:25 PM
    My son is leaving for Cape May on Sept 1st. Looking at Bootcamp.coastguard.dodlive.mil it reads bootcamp is a 3 month program? thought it was a 8 week program?

It's an 8 week curriculum.  That having been said, about 35% of recruits get reverted (the 35% figure was told to me by the commanding officer of Cape May, I assume it is accurate), and more will get rephased for any of various reasons.  But I would hazard to say that the majority of people make it through in 8 weeks.
    James59

--
    28 May 2015 06:20 PM
    Thank you very much.
    coastiebrothers

--
    31 May 2015 12:15 PM
    I am studying the helmsman and getting physically prepared for bootcamp. I ship out July 21st. I have read a few things online, is it true that the CCs ask you a lot of required knowledge questions when you are in the galley? And is it just mainly there or do they drill you on that other times too? The knowledge is probably gonna be my bigger weakness so im studying every day for it until i leave.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    31 May 2015 06:51 PM
    Just graduated, this place was a great resource so ask away!
    bootstraps

--
    31 May 2015 10:41 PM
    I'm about to graduate highschool and get shipped off for basic training what the basic day to day schedule for pt. How much do you run a day? How many pushups and situps ? Pull ups? Butterfly kicks?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLonelyOS

--
    01 Jun 2015 05:10 AM
    PT all depends on how your company is. If you have a smart company that everyone gets a long well and does the right thing you might not have to PT as much as other companies. On the other hand you might be the one called out in class to go outside the room for some one on one therapy. All depends on everyone working together.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Jun 2015 06:07 AM
    @coastiebrothers you can be asked your general knowledge questions at any time. Learn that stuff quickly and thoroughly.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    01 Jun 2015 12:59 PM
    @bootstraps As TheLonelyOS said it varies company to company. I honestly don’t remember the first couple weeks, I went on a kind of auto pilot and there is a lot of it that is just blank. But I do remember days in which we did nothing but sweat from 0500 to 2200, literally every article of clothing was soaked to the bone in sweat due to all the PT and punishment. As long as you show up with the ability to exceed the minimum standards you should be good.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    02 Jun 2015 07:27 AM
    Posted By coastiebrothers on 31 May 2015 01:15 PM
    I am studying the helmsman and getting physically prepared for bootcamp. I ship out July 21st. I have read a few things online, is it true that the CCs ask you a lot of required knowledge questions when you are in the galley? And is it just mainly there or do they drill you on that other times too? The knowledge is probably gonna be my bigger weakness so im studying every day for it until i leave.

They will almost always be grilling people on required knowledge in the galley, yes.  However, you are subject to being asked questions at any time.  It isn't that bad, and you will get better at retaining bits of information as you go.  Just stay on it.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    02 Jun 2015 07:32 AM
    Posted By bootstraps on 31 May 2015 11:41 PM
    I'm about to graduate highschool and get shipped off for basic training what the basic day to day schedule for pt. How much do you run a day? How many pushups and situps ? Pull ups? Butterfly kicks?

As others said, it varies.  In the beginning, you can expect to get ITed multiple times per day.  Figure each time that happens you'll be doing push-ups, squats, flutter kicks, and crunches, one set of about 20-50 reps each.  Other exercises will be added in later weeks, but by that time you'll be in good enough shape to handle it.  The really tiring part of boot camp isn't really the PT or IT, it's just being on your feet and on the move for 15+ hours per day.

Show up being able to comfortably exceed the requirements listed in the Helmsman and you'll be fine.  Just realize you will be pushed to exhaustion and during exercises you will be pushed until failure.  That's just how it is.  If you're in good shape when you get there, though, you'll recover quickly and it shouldn't be that hard.
    Jinxman23

--
    11 Jun 2015 07:49 PM
    Hello! I ship out June 23rd, and I was wondering about the shampoo and bodywash in the little bottles you mentioned earlier. I'm a guy, and its says that it's permitted for women only in the Helmsman. Am I still able to bring it and use it, or no?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Jun 2015 03:11 AM
    Your haircut, as a make, in boot camp.... shampoo is not necessary. Bar soap to wash your head is enough or liquid soap. I don't see why a guy couldn't bring liquid soap but bar soap is probably easier.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    12 Jun 2015 02:37 PM
    Posted By Jinxman23 on 11 Jun 2015 08:49 PM
    Hello! I ship out June 23rd, and I was wondering about the shampoo and bodywash in the little bottles you mentioned earlier. I'm a guy, and its says that it's permitted for women only in the Helmsman. Am I still able to bring it and use it, or no?

You will be given a big bottle of shampoo and some bars of soap.  A lot of the time I used the shampoo as body wash as well.  At some point in your first weekend or first week you will be taken to the exchange to make any purchases you might need (purchases that aren't considered contraband).  It will probably depend on your company commanders as to what exactly they allow, but many people in my company bought body wash, different shaving cream, etc.
    giuliacpacheco

--
    12 Jun 2015 10:34 PM
    Oh boot camp! I just graduated on May 29th with Delta-191, and what an experience! Jinxman23 I REALLY wouldn't worry about those small details such as shampoo and soap, they'll provide you with everything you need + you'll get to go to the exchange to buy more. During the time you're there, you won't be able to take regular showers, so get used to washing the necessary and getting out, and make sure that doesn't bother you. I'm a female with long hair, and I just learned to accept that while I was in basic training, long and "decent" showers are not priority, and that I just had to face it for 8 weeks, and then I'd be able to enjoy them again. My biggest advice is do what they ask of you for 8 weeks - and by that I mean pay attention to everything they tell you to do, how to do it. ALWAYS keep your military bearing and self-discipline, and help your shipmate, you won't make it through boot camp by yourself, no matter how "good" and "prepared" you are now. Always give 110% of yourself, and encourage your shipmates to do the same, and when you think that you're the only one whose legs and feet hurt, who's so tired it's hard to stay awake while standing in the back of the class or in formation, who's tired of waking up at 0530 every day for a few weeks to the sound of FIRE FIRE FIRE to do IT sessions outside...don't forget everyone is in the same boat, and everyone goes through the same things, so do it together. By you deciding to stay there and fight, not only it shows how much you want to be there and how dedicated you are, but it also shows your shipmates it can be done, and that if YOU'RE still there, than they'll stay and suffer with you. A lot of that crossed my mind and that helped me through it. Don't give up! If that's what you want, fight for it, and dedicate yourself. Don't get too caught up on getting trackers, LEARN from your mistakes and other people's mistakes and don't repeat them, be alert. SOUND OFF! The more they see how bad you want it, the better for you. And most of all, respect everyone, especially your CC's. In the end, ALL of it will make sense. Best of luck to you and your company!
    Jinxman23

--
    14 Jun 2015 01:11 PM
    Thanks yall! How about shaving? Someone told me that shaving without shaving cream is the fastest but that just sounds like it would give a nasty rash... Is that a good idea? Or should I stick with shaving cream?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    14 Jun 2015 01:22 PM
    I used shaving cream less than 5 times the whole time. I was fine without it. Try it now and see how your face reacts. Honestly our CCs didn't harp on it too much. I think our company was pretty good as a whole keeping up on shaving.
    Jinxman23

--
    14 Jun 2015 01:27 PM
    Ok. I'll try that. Do we shave then shower? Or shave in the morning before everything? Also, what week is the fitness test with the 1.5 mile run, 29 push-ups, 38 sit-ups, and swim?
    Jinxman23

--
    14 Jun 2015 02:05 PM
    And does someone stand on your feet when you do the sit-ups?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    14 Jun 2015 03:12 PM
    You aren't given specific times to shave, you just work it in on your breaks during the day. Week 1 is the initial test, week 4 is the last pf test. Week 2 was the swim test. If you fail week 2 swim you go to remedial swim. If you don't pass week 1 pf test, depending on how you did, you either get sent home or they wait and see on week 4 test how you do. If after week 4 you miss it by a little bit, they'll put you in pfe. Few ways the scenario can work out.

Someone holds your feet down for sit ups, plenty of resistance for someone to pass.
    Fl124

--
    14 Jun 2015 03:23 PM
    From what have read boot camp PT can be tough even for physically fit people; I don't know anyone who has ever been in the coast guard and am really just looking for some guidance/advice on how to prepare. I can currently exceed all of the PT standards, my last recorded test I had 75 push-ups, 70 sit-ups, and a 11:15 mile and a half. I passed the swim but need to get better which I am taking lessons for.  I'm only a junior in highschool, so I have time. With those scores am I in good enough shape for boot camp? Im trying to be the best prepared I can be. Any response is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    Jinxman23

--
    14 Jun 2015 03:52 PM
    Awesome! Thank you very much!
    sbana

--
    13 Jul 2015 06:25 PM
    Congrats dude! Going in next tuesday. How far in do they make you do the running part of the PFT?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cyndyd

--
    17 Jul 2015 10:34 AM
    I understand now they send you home in week one, if you can't pass the PT requirements. My son does not have ship date yet but his recruiter anticipates late October or early November. What would any of you recommend he exceed the minimum by?
    smp1123

--
    17 Jul 2015 09:36 PM
    Hey so I have a question about the run, I run a 14:00 flat for my mile and a half and for females it's 15:26 but I practice on a straight a way like a running trail not a running track.  Is the PFT on a running track just wondering?  I don't go to bootcamp until late september or early october still waiting on the date.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    18 Jul 2015 05:56 AM
    Yes it's on a track. The only other running I remember doing was up and down stairs in the barracks and around town for the off base run, neither of which is timed.
    smp1123

--
    20 Jul 2015 07:12 PM
    Oh okay cool and it's the usual 6 laps for a mile and a half or is the track bigger then that?  I run a 13:38 now I tested myself again today to see where I was at so I'm good with time.   I was told that my straight away training isn't going to be that much of a difference with the track so I should be good.  That's good the other runs aren't timed that's a relief lol.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    20 Jul 2015 07:28 PM

Posted By smp1123 on 20 Jul 2015 08:12 PM
    Oh okay cool and it's the usual 6 laps for a mile and a half or is the track bigger then that?  I run a 13:38 now I tested myself again today to see where I was at so I'm good with time.   I was told that my straight away training isn't going to be that much of a difference with the track so I should be good.  That's good the other runs aren't timed that's a relief lol.

They have a standard quarter mile track and a half mile track that is covered in rubber chips (think wood chips but composed of pieces of old tires).  I did all my runs on the half mile track.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    21 Jul 2015 11:59 AM
    Folks the 1.5 mile run isn't hard unless our nations youth has morphed into a new species. The USAF used to only run the 1.5 as our annual test or let us walk 3. I used to start two weeks out getting prepped and even saw some guys smoking while on the run. Just start jogging and you will be ok.

If you need help get some cadence music to listen too while you run. Try these.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsPTO2l4EWE
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    21 Jul 2015 01:54 PM
    Posted By m1ashooter on 21 Jul 2015 12:59 PM
    Folks the 1.5 mile run isn't hard unless our nations youth has morphed into a new species. The USAF used to only run the 1.5 as our annual test or let us walk 3. I used to start two weeks out getting prepped and even saw some guys smoking while on the run. Just start jogging and you will be ok.

If you need help get some cadence music to listen too while you run. Try these.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsPTO2l4EWE

While I agree that running 1.5 miles isn't exactly an impressive feat of athletic prowess, I don't want people to underestimate it either.  The sad fact is, most people I know probably can't run 1.5 miles in 12:51.  If you don't run at all (which a lot of people don't), you need to start practicing or you won't make the standard.
    smp1123

--
    21 Jul 2015 09:06 PM
    Thanks for the info well for females the time is 15:26 i think and I run it in a 13:20 now and that's pretty good to start off with a whole 2 mins and 6 sec ahead I really want to do better then that before I go.  I don't practice on tracks well the trail i run on is kind of like a big track but a half a mile track is pretty big so no more worries about it.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    22 Jul 2015 03:53 AM
    Yeah I hardly ever run and I've failed one run by about 3 seconds, but I had some serious nasal and chest congestion. I probably shouldn't have been running, but I hate giving up my shipmates are still running.
    FrankMV

--
    23 Jul 2015 01:52 AM
    A very informative post.. thanks!!!
    wondering

--
    23 Jul 2015 07:38 AM
    just heard off base liberty was not granted for my recruit, does this mean possible reversion as well? We are almost at week 8! travel plans are all in place. I have no idea why, the recruit called a sibling!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    24 Jul 2015 08:19 AM
    Posted By wondering on 23 Jul 2015 08:38 AM
    just heard off base liberty was not granted for my recruit, does this mean possible reversion as well? We are almost at week 8! travel plans are all in place. I have no idea why, the recruit called a sibling!

From my experience, liberty not being granted was done almost in lieu of reversion.  For example, one recruit from my company committed what we were told was an offense that would result in automatic reversion, but he had some extenuating family circumstances back home and our lead CC went to bat for him.  In the end he was not reverted, but he did lose his liberty.  But really, that's going to be up to the CCs and section commander.  I doubt he'll lose liberty and get reverted for the same offense, but you never know.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    24 Jul 2015 10:54 AM
    As Bleen says, it just depends. There is no guarantee he'll be reverted, there is no guarantee he won't. He needs to let you know what is happening if sibling isn't good at getting details. I would send a letter asking for details so you can change plans, if necessary. I wouldn't change anything until you speak to him though. If he is reverted, there will be a phone call home. Hopefully he calls you. Best of luck. I'm going to guess off base is tomorrow and graduation is a week from today? Nothing like adding to a mom/dad's stress level already! Let us know how things go.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    justwondering

--
    28 Jul 2015 12:34 PM
    I got a little more info, something about not saluting properly and that my recruit was supposed to go for liberty (according to what the CC's told him but then I guess the Section Commander squashed it for about 5 recruits. Still set to graduate Friday - it's been a nail biter!  Thanks for your answers. I'll get more details Friday (hopefully) graduation day.
    RenaGilbertson

--
    29 Jul 2015 10:50 AM
    I know I am making the times for my run, however I am still nervous. Are they super strict about the "show up ready" policy? Recruiters are saying yes, but I wanna know from someone who just went through.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cyndyd

--
    29 Jul 2015 10:58 AM
    I would think if the recruiter is saying then it is true. I am sure they will chime in. I have also seen parents on this forum saying it is true. This is scary though. It would not be good to be sent home in week 1.
    Dedicated2Success

--
    29 Jul 2015 11:31 AM
    Awesome story giuliacpacheco. I'm getting more and more excited as I read these posts. How many CC's are there per company?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    30 Jul 2015 04:23 AM
    It depends on the size of the company and what CCs are available.

My company started at 115, and we had four CCs, but I think I've heard of smaller companies with just two. I don't think they do just one ever because... well CCs need rest too.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Jul 2015 11:08 AM
    Colin's company had 3 CC's. I don't know how many recruits.

Rena, they are absolutely, 100% dedicated to the "show up ready or go home" policy. If you are one second over the allotted time, you'll pack your bags and head on back home.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Dedicated2Success

--
    31 Jul 2015 09:15 AM
    Posted By Eoghan Roe on 30 Jul 2015 05:23 AM
    It depends on the size of the company and what CCs are available.

My company started at 115, and we had four CCs, but I think I've heard of smaller companies with just two. I don't think they do just one ever because... well CCs need rest too.

That makes sense. Thank you.
    daubon

--
    04 Oct 2015 07:32 AM
    Hi, hope it has gone well for you in Hawaii!.  My son is currently in his first week of BT. Could you please tell me what the "dream sheet" is and when they have to fill it out? How does that work?

Thanks

Pepe Daubon
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    04 Oct 2015 10:26 AM
    daubon, the dream sheet is a piece of paper that you fill out in later weeks, I think week 4 or 5. You fill out what type of unit and top 3 (or is it 5? I forget) districts you want as well as if you want to be a SN or FN (seaman, fireman). At the bottom there is a comments section where you can add things like "I respectfully request to go afloat on a 378" or really anything you want to write down that allows you to specify what you would like out of boot. It is called a "dream sheet" for a reason. A very very small percentage of people actually get what they want out of boot camp.
    modernwarfare

--
    04 Oct 2015 01:49 PM
    You fill out the dream sheet week 4 and get to select 4 different districts, find out what you get week five. There are a specific number of places that need non rates every week that the detailer has to work with, and they showed us a list of availability ahead of time. If you want Massachusetts and there is no need for a non rate there, it isn't going to happen. But almost everyone in my company got what they wanted, I got everything I asked for. Ask for what you want, they will try to make it happen, but it is called a dreamsheet for a reason.
    kegilbert33

--
    04 Oct 2015 06:09 PM
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to join-I just have a few questions regarding basic. First, I want to be ready for the swimming portion but I don't have access to a pool-like at all. The one at my school is currently closed for maintenance or something so I'm completely out of luck. With the fineness tests-is it right off the bat that you're tested and meet the standards I see everywhere? Or is that by graduation?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    04 Oct 2015 08:29 PM
    Go to bootcamp being able to pass the standards. Look for a pool at a local gym, you might have to pay for a membership but it'll be worth it when you pass because you practiced
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    04 Oct 2015 09:59 PM
    Posted By Bells on 04 Oct 2015 09:29 PM
    Go to bootcamp being able to pass the standards. Look for a pool at a local gym, you might have to pay for a membership but it'll be worth it when you pass because you practiced

Check out a local YMCA in your community or a close by community if there isn't one where you live.  My son is awaiting a ship date to boot camp could be December.  We found our local Y had a membership drive and he is paying $27 a month to use the facility which includes gym and pool.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Oct 2015 07:33 AM
    Someone made the suggestion of going to a local hotel that has a pool. Let them know that you are joining the Coast Guard and want to practice swimming. The person that originally suggested that said the hotel allowed him to use the pool completely for free. I would only suggest that if you already know how to swim and just want to become stronger. Typically hotel pools will not have life guard staff or any type of swim classes.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Shastamcnasty

--
    05 Oct 2015 05:55 PM
    I would like to know more about ramp. Is it all week or only on certain days? What if you get ramp & probation are they served seperately?
    Kinch

--
    06 Oct 2015 07:07 AM
    I took my son to the YMCA in our town, told them what we were doing and what the test entailed, and they totally let us in for free both times.
    Futureyeoman44

--
    15 Oct 2015 07:26 PM
    Ramp is just for a night unless you get assigned more. It's hard but feels great to finish and 99% of people go so dont feel bad if you do! Probation is where you have to wear a red belt and are constantly asked questions about the required knowledge you are expected to know, ramp and probation are seperate things but can be assigned at one time
    Kinch

--
    16 Oct 2015 12:43 PM
    When a recruit gets reverted for two weeks is that really bad?  Can you be reverted more than once?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    16 Oct 2015 01:40 PM
    Reversions happen all the time. I don't recommend getting reverted even once... but they do allow up to 3 before it becomes an issue and they look at possibly discharging. If you want to say, fine; If not, fine. May I ask what happened?? I know someone that was reverted once for sleeping in class and then a second time for leaving dirty socks in his rack. He is a very successful Coastie now... so this is simply a boot camp hiccup. Not a career hiccup. Not to be taken lightly but nothing to go into full on worry mode for either. You can also PM me if you like and want to discuss.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    6938mom

--
    17 Oct 2015 01:28 PM
    My son is currently in boot camp. Dropped out of his company. He is in a hold area now. Having major anxiety couldn't keep up with his company a couple of recruits were name calling heckling him. Telling him to quit cause he's bringing them down. He talked with a chaplen psychologist and now on mon a physiatrist that is the protocol. I know he should stick it out and do this but he only wants to come home. He is using past prob to use as a crutch. He was bullied way back in middle school and keeps bringing it up. He said it brought back bad memories. I think it's an excuse. He wanted this a long time now he's willing to give it up. What can I say to make him change his mind? Any thing will help.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Oct 2015 02:51 PM
    This level of anxiety, speaking to the chaplain, a psychiatrist... I doubt highly there is anything you can say to him. The CG may have ashtray decided his fate and he will be home soon. I'm very sorry but this might not be open to discussion at this point.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    6938mom

--
    17 Oct 2015 03:45 PM
    He said its his decision to leave. They said they will do everything to keep him but he has to want it. They are not kicking him out. He past the fitness test. He said he can't take the screaming constantly.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    19 Oct 2015 06:18 PM
    The screaming is part of the experience. The reason behind it is to simulate an environment where crewmembers have to project their voices to be heard over running machinery, wind, seas, etc in order to perform a mission. And, if one person makes a mistake it's a good way to let everyone know to check themselves so they don't repeat the mistake.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    smirnoff

--
    23 Oct 2015 09:45 AM
    Posted By 6938mom on 17 Oct 2015 04:45 PM
    He said its his decision to leave. They said they will do everything to keep him but he has to want it. They are not kicking him out. He past the fitness test. He said he can't take the screaming constantly.

Just curious -- how is your son currently doing?  Is he with a new company, yet?
    smp1123

--
    26 Oct 2015 03:27 PM
    How was the run in the winter ? I go too basic in December just curious I run in he 11s now
    Servire

--
    14 Dec 2015 02:26 PM
    Posted By smp1123 on 26 Oct 2015 04:27 PM
    How was the run in the winter ? I go too basic in December just curious I run in he 11s now

You'll be fine. Give it your all and there's no way you get slower. The winter has been relatively mild. I shaved quite a bit of time (- 30 secs) off of my initial run of 12:30. Just graduated.
    Mongo556

--
    06 Jan 2016 09:13 PM
    I'm shipping for BC in about a month. Just curious on what to expect when entering the mess hall. I have heard that this is when the CC come after you and drill you with questions, while waiting online, and while sitting down and eating. Also how is the food there? Just wondering because you are what you eat, I am big into working out and nutrition and a strong believer on refueling on with the proper nutrition.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLonelyOS

--
    07 Jan 2016 05:19 PM
    Food is good for the most part. Trust me you will eat anything they put in front of you due to the amount of PT you will go through and not really care about macros. They did have a peanut butter and jelly bar that you can have as much as you want but be forewarned as that it will draw attention to yourself. The galley can make or break people and its where you really need to know your stuff.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
    Loronus

--
    09 Jan 2016 12:22 AM
    The food is decent and they give you all the nutritional Info for everything they serve. The big issue you are going to run into is the lack of time to read it and the amount of Carby food they serve. You got veggies and you get meats but they are not all created equal. Just make sort of educated guesses its mostly just eat to be refueled because you are going to burn tons of calories constantly.
    Damahone98

--
    10 Jan 2016 08:07 PM
    For the 1st week and 4th week PFT I understand there are push ups, sit ups, 1.5 mile run, and two swimming tests. My questions are:
    1. Will all of those be done together back to back or are they done throughout the day
    2. For the push ups, do you do the 29 and then you are finished, or are you supposed to do the max amount you can in a minute, and the same question for sit ups as well
    Thank you.
    Loronus

--
    10 Jan 2016 11:33 PM
    The Push Ups Sit Ups and Run are done on the Friday you go in the First week all at the same time. You line up as a company you do as many pushups you can do in a minute. Then you get back in line and when you get back to the front of the line partner with a shipmate and you both do as many situps as you can in a minute. Then once everyone is all set you head outside to the track and run 3 laps and get your time. This is repeated in week 04 on the Wednesday. There is only one swimming test and that is done on the Thursday of week 02 and you get a pretty decent break in between the swim portion and the treading water.
    AGoldsmith

--
    11 Jan 2016 03:14 PM
    Hi there- My brother is currently at boot camp and has been reverted 3 times. He started in ECHO 192 and is now in HOTEL 192. The first time he was on probation and didn't log something in his book, the second he physically passed out and was late to watch, and the third time he was on probation and failed it. I'm sure we are not getting the full story, but it's difficult to when we only can talk to him for a couple of minutes every time this has happened. Because of the holidays his 3 reversions have added an extra 6 weeks to his time there, so he's turned 8 weeks into 14. He already has his orders and as of this last reversion seems confident he will complete boot camp, but I think we are just a little confused as to why this keeps happening. Any advice? I think this is his last chance.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    11 Jan 2016 04:22 PM
    To keep it simple as none of us on here know the specific details for your brothers situation, Your brother sounds like he is having a difficult time adjusting to boot-camp. Boot camp runs on a very specific set of rules and regulations. Each recruit must meet the requirements of these rules and regulations. Everything that is done at boot camp has a reason, and a recruit must adhere to this. Failing to log someone into a book may sound like a minor infraction. But when you look at the bigger picture of security and personnel accountability, it is a huge issue. Not reporting to watch is another big no-no. This type of behavior could lead to him missing movement or put undue stress on other watch-standers.

Not knowing his situation, he has been given a second chance not just once, not even twice, but three times. I have never seen boot-camp that lenient before. I would say it is a safe assumption that this is his last chance.

Keep sending him positive letters. He could use that.

I wish your brother the best of luck. Let us know what happens!

Chukles,

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Tahoe760

--
    13 Jan 2016 05:59 PM
    What is the time requirement for running for the males on the Friday of First week?  I've seen some post that it is 13:50 and some post that it's the 12 min requirement.  My son's recruiter said he had to go in under 13:50 but did not have to meet the 12 min requirement until week 4.  He just left for Cape May this Tuesday, and runs a 1.5 in 14 minutes, so I am stressing out a bit, don't want to hear from him Friday night! Thanks!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    13 Jan 2016 06:06 PM
    the helmsman says Males - 12:51. it should be that. thats the number im training around.
    RhodyMike

--
    14 Jan 2016 09:24 AM
    Week 1 requirements are different than week 4 requirements for graduating. I'm closing in on the final steps of my enlistment and my recruiter just gave me a paper with the requirements. I tried attaching a picture of the paper but it says it's too large to attach. 

Week 1 arrival fitness requirements
     The paper states the "approximate week 1 Cape May arrival fitness requirements" Male-21 Sit ups, 11 push ups, in one minute each and 1.5 mile run in 13:50, Female- 13 sit ups and 6 push ups and 1.5 mile run in 16:30.

Week 4 graduating requirements
     For graduation requirements that take place in week 4 the paper states Male- 38 sit ups and 29 push ups, each in one minute and the 1.5 mile run in 12:51 and Female- 32 sit ups and 15 push ups and 1.5 mile run in 15:26. 

That should clear up the confusion but also realize that it says "approximate" so it can change or be different when you get to bootcamp but everyone should train and try to exceed the minimum requirements for week 4 so you don't have to worry or stress about the PT. 
    Tahoe760

--
    15 Jan 2016 11:03 AM
    Posted By RhodyMike on 14 Jan 2016 10:24 AM
    Week 1 requirements are different than week 4 requirements for graduating. I'm closing in on the final steps of my enlistment and my recruiter just gave me a paper with the requirements. I tried attaching a picture of the paper but it says it's too large to attach. 

Week 1 arrival fitness requirements
     The paper states the "approximate week 1 Cape May arrival fitness requirements" Male-21 Sit ups, 11 push ups, in one minute each and 1.5 mile run in 13:50, Female- 13 sit ups and 6 push ups and 1.5 mile run in 16:30.

Week 4 graduating requirements
     For graduation requirements that take place in week 4 the paper states Male- 38 sit ups and 29 push ups, each in one minute and the 1.5 mile run in 12:51 and Female- 32 sit ups and 15 push ups and 1.5 mile run in 15:26. 

That should clear up the confusion but also realize that it says "approximate" so it can change or be different when you get to bootcamp but everyone should train and try to exceed the minimum requirements for week 4 so you don't have to worry or stress about the PT. 

Thank you....that helps clear up my concerns! Good luck in boot camp!
    Coastiemom95

--
    06 Feb 2016 10:15 PM
    My son has been "gifted" with the red belt. He said he got it for stumbling over the section commander's name. Oops! Lol Anyway, he's said he got extended on the belt, does that happen often? I'm just curious, and nosey. I gave him a short pep talk. He's tough enough to pull through it, if he gets passed his nerves and beating himself up over it.
    Thanks in advance!
    Speck_D

--
    14 Feb 2016 11:04 AM
    Hello,

Lets see if he got a red belt it is usually due to a few things that build up, and then there is one thing that "breaks the camels back" so to speak.  Getting a red belt is very common, usually about 40-60% of your company will end up on red belt at one time or another.  Red belt isnt necessarily a punishment, although it can seem like one.  It means that you need to improve on some things at boot camp and need a little more attention.  To be honest, everyone that got red belt was way better off then those who didnt.  They learned to know their stuff and how to keep everything squared away.  Essientially they got used to being up the microscope.  There are only two outcomes of a red belt, one is that you improve and get off red belt, and the other is that you get reverted, or sent back to the next company if you need more time at training.  Roughly 40% of the company will get reverted so it is not uncommon either.  If he can get past his nerves and improves, he is in a good position to become a really good recruit and should to worry.  If his nerves get the best of him and he isn't quite picking up on the training, he faces the possibility of getting reverted, which means that he will be a much better recruit in his next company, so it could be looked at as a win-win!  Stay positive, and either way he will come out on top.

Harkink1

--
    20 Feb 2016 02:06 PM
    hello! I am a new member to the coast guard community, my fiancé is currently in boot camp in cape may.
    We have been in contact through letters and he was very serious about keeping what I want in mind while putting in his request wish list. However, he sent me a letter Sunday saying that he was given the opportunity to be in the coast guard honor guard and to let him know asap if this was a good option for us because he would be requesting on Thursday. Unfortunately, I received this letter on that Thursday so was not able to respond that opportunity at all. (Which I completely want for him and would be a best case scenario for our situation) .. I'm worried he didn't put this on his wish list because my previous letters gave other options about where he should go.

So I do not know if he put fort Myers (honor guard) on his wish list since he did not receive feedback from me, but if he did not and gets my letter that says he should, is it possible to change his request and put that instead? 

Also I know it is an honor to be asked to join the honor guard so I'm hoping he was persuaded into choosing this, right?
    a.brionez3

--
    25 Feb 2016 11:37 PM
    I read that the graduates get a 5 day leave before they get to their first station. Is this true? Are they able tocomehome for those five days? And also what are the requirements for getting into Honor Guard?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    26 Feb 2016 06:08 AM
    Posted By a.brionez3 on 26 Feb 2016 12:37 AM
    I read that the graduates get a 5 day leave before they get to their first station. Is this true? Are they able tocomehome for those five days?

yes. they get 2 and a half days a month for a total of 30 days a year. after boot, they have accumulated 5 days so they can do with them as they please. they can use them, not use them, totally up to them.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    26 Feb 2016 06:17 AM
    whats the latest with the whole cell phone situation? some say youre allowed to use them on liberty and at other times, some say youre not allowed to use them at all. some say they actually got to keep them in their racks, others say they never saw the phone until like the day before graduation.

any recent grads care to shed some light on this? the phone isnt really a big deal for me i just want to know what the latest on the situation is.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    26 Feb 2016 08:59 AM
    I believe all but a few payphones have been removed from the base. So you are able to keep your cell phones. You can use it during on base liberty, off base liberty. If you are caught using it at a time when it is not allowed, you will be reverted. I have heard you can be reverted 2 weeks for that, I'm not sure about the truth to that, but I think that would be fairly light. I know some CC's that give phone calls home as a reward for something... perfect score on a test, a great run time, whatever. So then you might be allowed to use your phone or the phone in the CC's office. It is good to have it with you, regardless of whether or not you have it or it is locked up. You will want it after graduation anyway.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    seentheseas

--
    05 Mar 2016 08:29 AM
    You don't get to keep your cell in training. You check it out during on-base liberty. return it then on off base liberty you check it out again. check it in until graduation day.
    There is no locking your cell up in your rack. It gets locked up in Sexton Hall.
    USCGSouthEast

--
    05 Mar 2016 10:16 AM
    I'll answer whatever questions I can. Before leaving for Cape May I thought I would have a million things to say: what to do, what not to do, so on so forth - but, I don't. There are too many things that go on and too many different variables that make it a different experience for each person. I think that recruit training is designed this way. You just have to enjoy the ride.
    cgsaga

--
    11 Mar 2016 09:24 AM
    Posted By USCGSouthEast on 05 Mar 2016 11:16 AM
    I'll answer whatever questions I can. Before leaving for Cape May I thought I would have a million things to say: what to do, what not to do, so on so forth - but, I don't. There are too many things that go on and too many different variables that make it a different experience for each person. I think that recruit training is designed this way. You just have to enjoy the ride.

What district did you get after boot? Was it the one you wanted?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 Mar 2016 09:46 AM
    Southeast, that might be the best answer to every boot camp question ever.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    19 Mar 2016 12:44 PM
    I just spend a few hours debriefing my recent graduate.  He never was sent to ramp nor threatened with Reversion.  He said his Company Commanders were fair but hard.  He said he didn't smile for the first five weeks.  At least 20 percent of his company was reverted and a few quit.

Here are the reasons for being reverted, all controllable by the recruit.  Not being in shape at forming or getting better  through the program.  His bunk mate was reverted because he failed the sit up portion of his final PT test.  How one shows up to Boot Camp and isn't in shape just puzzles me.

The second way is simply not following instructions and doing your best every day every minute.

Volunteer for extra duties like Drill team, Color Guard or Band.  I was really impressed with the band.  They played like they had been together for years.  All three play important roles in the graduation event.  Being a member of one of these groups gets you away for a few hours a week from the company schedule, gives you a chance to excel and you might miss out on some incentive training which is a plus.

When the Company was dismissed my Graduate made a beeline to us, grabbed his sister and said quick I want a picture with my Company Commanders.  His respect for these professionals was huge.

In summary, show up ready to train.

Leilahgabrielle

--
    21 Apr 2016 01:15 PM
    about how many people are in each company?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Apr 2016 04:39 PM
    Hard to say. There have been companies as small as 40 people, there have been companies upwards of 100. It just depends upon the recruiting climate.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    21 Apr 2016 10:39 PM
    It appears the last few companies are over 100 people.
    mbeltows

--
    22 Apr 2016 05:12 AM
    My daughters current company is 65.
    SchoonerBum

--
    29 Apr 2016 07:54 PM
    Just finished with Q-192.

We started with 36, graduated 31, all male (which is an anomaly).

Cell: after on-base liberty we got our phones, then turned them in after, and they were put in the cc office. After off-base liberty we were given an option, turn in the phones, or put them in our personal ditty-bags, with the promise we would not touch/turn on them until after graduation. Recruits have been reverted the night of graduation for that stuff.
    beachside405

--
    13 Jul 2016 03:18 PM
    On Graduation day is the ceremony in the morning, can you plan to fly home that afternoon /evening? Or should you book hotel for that Friday night as well?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    13 Jul 2016 11:06 PM
    Graduation begins at 11am and lasts around 45 minutes.  Then you mill around if you want and take pictures and then you can gather everyone up and head to the airport of choice.  Its at least two hours to Philly or Newark Airports.  I'd plan a night flight.
    mebarzya

--
    15 Jul 2016 11:46 AM
    My son just went to boot camp the week on July 12. How can I find out what company and hall he is in. It seems like others have been able to go on the internet to find out but I haven't been able to figure that out. Also if all goes well will he graduate on 9/2? His recruiter says August 26 but that seems early and that date is not listed on the USCG website.

Could you tell me what they are doing this week/next week? I know I will get a letter on the 3rd week but wanted to see what happens during these weeks.

Thank you so much for information. It really helps.

Anxious Mother
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    15 Jul 2016 02:13 PM
    Check this page out.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1778987832335027/. Do you know if he is in Echo 193? If so ask on of the admins to let you in.
    flashed101

--
    04 Aug 2016 11:53 AM
    after boot camp did you get to spend the weekend with your family off post?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    04 Aug 2016 01:42 PM
    After graduation they no longer are at boot camp and unless assigned to a unit at Cape May will clear the base ASAP. After graduation is over the graduates will mill around for a few minutes, take some pictures, maybe go to the base exchange and then go over to the room their gear is stored in and head off to where ever they want to go.
    rymac-21

--
    15 Aug 2016 06:54 PM
    I have two questions. I leave in a few weeks and was trying to weigh the pros and cons of selling my car prior to leaving or trying to work things out after boot camp with getting it to where I go.

My second question revolves around arrival. There are a few permitted items on the list in the helmsmen such as pairs of compression shorts. Would it be recommended to buy a cheap backpack to carry the few items through the airport and such?
    Thank you!
    Tinrae

--
    04 Sep 2016 06:48 AM
    I would like to fly home with my recruit. How are recruits airline tickets arranged and how could I figure out the same day my son will fly out etc. in other words I don't want to stay till Sunday and him leave Saturday and I need to book my ticket
    HammerheaD

--
    04 Sep 2016 11:46 AM
    I flew back with my parents and my wife. In the last couple weeks of basic, your recruit will be given the option to book a flight through the CG at cape may, or if you choose to purchase a ticket for him, he/she will be given time to call you and arrange travel plans. Once graduation is over, they'll grab all their stuff and will be free to leave base with you. Just make sure your recruit knows to tell them that you will be making travel arrangements, and do not need to book a flight through the coast guard.
    jtang1

--
    08 Feb 2017 06:08 PM
    This is a mail question

The recruiter told me the wrong company for my fiance....and told me he didn't know the hall.....
    My fiance just shipped out recently and I wrote and mailed a letter today that had all three halls on the address and had the wrong company....it was off by one.....

Is there any chance of the letter still finding him?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Feb 2017 06:59 AM
    It will but it will take a while. Also, when addressing letters use full first name and full last name, especially with incorrect halls and company numbers. C Smith could be Christine Smith, could be Christopher Smith. You want your letter received and read by your recruit.

Do you have the correct information now?
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    jtang1

--
    12 Feb 2017 12:24 PM
    Yes, I did some research and found it online.  Thank you
    Cantwaittohelp

--
    25 Feb 2017 10:26 AM
     I ship out in 3 months and I have been battling a internal hemorrhoid i know it sounds gross but I'm scared when I get to cape my once they do the physical I so be DQ. How are the physical once you get there.  I already passed my meps physical with my issue going on and it went fine I'm very healthy and I don't want them to send me home any and all information is helpful thanks

KTDUKNOWME

--
    30 Jun 2017 07:16 AM
    My Son arrived at Cape May 3 days ago today. When will I get his Company number and Hall name information so I can make sure he gets mail, for the past 3 days I have been sending them with his SR title, name and of course the address for TRACEN Cape May
    sako_hopar

--
    08 Jul 2017 01:27 AM
    Posted By Cantwaittohelp on 25 Feb 2017 11:26 AM
     I ship out in 3 months and I have been battling a internal hemorrhoid i know it sounds gross but I'm scared when I get to cape my once they do the physical I so be DQ. How are the physical once you get there.  I already passed my meps physical with my issue going on and it went fine I'm very healthy and I don't want them to send me home any and all information is helpful thanks

You're going to be put under A LOT of stress, more than you have probably ever had in your life, that is not going to go to well with your digestive system, your stomach nor your intestines. Furthermore, your diet will change and you will be doing a lot of physical activity.  You need to bring this up to your doctor.  You do not want to be one of the people who gets sent to the ward for a couple weeks then to a discharge hold element where they might hold you for months until they bring you back up to your normal health before they send you back home.
    mcdermott_tina@yahoo.com

--
    05 Aug 2017 01:15 PM
    Just to double check - the items listed in the Helmsan to bring should be items that can be carried on a plane i.e.: lotion - toothpaste (travelsize). Its not clear in the manual.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    05 Aug 2017 01:26 PM
    Yes you must follow TSA regulations if you are flying.
    Devyn255

--
    08 Aug 2017 04:48 AM
    Couple quick questions for the first week pt test will the running be done on a track or a street or what? I know I should meet the graduation time the first week Does anyone know the time for the first week and the final time I can run a 13 minute mile and a half right now. Any shippers shipping on September 26th?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    08 Aug 2017 12:40 PM
    If the weather is good you will run outside on the 0.5 mile long track for 3 laps. If the weather is bad you run inside around the gym for something like 29 laps around the gym. For the run time just run 12:51 or less, it is pointless to try to figure out the minimum forming standard, they change it all the time anyway. Not passing part of the fitness test just puts extra stress on you, worrying about being sent home sucks. I missed situps by 3 during the first test. I had to worry about that for 3 weeks until the week 4 fitness test and if i didnt pass then i would be reverted. I passed the run at 11:29 during the first week and that was better than any of my training times before I shipped. I ran better in boot camp because i was much more motivated to go fast and stay with the group.
    ColePuscg

--
    17 Nov 2017 10:17 PM
    So me and my twin brother have graduated high school and long story short we were going Navy but changed our minds and decided to go Coast Guard. We can do all the PT requirments besides the run which we are both about 45 seconds off but we still have a month before we ship off so we should be okay. My question is if one of us was to get reverted would they revert both of us or just one? I’m not depending on my brother or anything I just want to know if my parents will have to fly to cape may twice to see both of us graduate. We live in Washington state which is why I think it’s a big deal since plane tickets aren’t cheap. I’m assuming they won’t care what my parents have to do and they will just revert one of us but I’m just wanting to make sure. I’m not saying I’m 100% sure one of us will get reverted but just in case I would like to let me parents know
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    18 Nov 2017 05:21 AM
    They would only revert one of you, the buddy program only gets you into the same company, after that you guys are on your own for meeting all requirements.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    18 Nov 2017 08:54 AM
    If one of you can't pass the PT standards, there will only be 1 of you graduating. With a month out, you should be well under the run time. You are not going to get to boot camp and all of the sudden be faster and have more energy. You're going to be tired and it is going to be cold. Your recruiter should be informed that you cannot pass the complete PT test right now.
    Phoe214@gmail.com

--
    01 Apr 2018 09:42 PM
    Hey, 

Recent bootcamp grad right here (S-195). From my experience, I stayed for 4 companies after being rephased 3 times. So i have to spend an additional 4 weeks since one of them is 2 weeks behind another company.  The first time I failed probation in the early weeks since i fell behind. But, its not a bad thing.  The CC's make every effort to help you succeed and the extra time they give is more of a blessing to get you acquitted to the customs in bootcamp.  The other 2 times are medical so I was placed on hold, but the good thing is we get more time to catch up with the next company as we study (yes, bootcamp is not just brawn), get our lives "squared away", and practice what we need work on.  Important thing about is be fast, be loud, do what you're told, and stay positive and remember the very reason why you want to be there in the first place. Bootcamp is not for the light hearted, but it is not impossible to succeed. 
    Daniel1120

--
    05 Apr 2018 02:32 PM
    Shipping in 4 days. I have a question about the week 1 PFT, so at the moment I exceed the graduation requirements with a 11:20 1.5 mile, 46 sit ups and 40 push-ups in a minute. So I’m not too worried about it but I’m just wondering what the requirements are for week 1 PFT. Are they the same as graduation or are they easier? I’ve seen people online say it’s the same and I’ve heard that the requirements are 11 push-ups, 21 sit ups, and a 14:00 1.5 mile?
    alaniss01

--
    05 Apr 2018 04:34 PM
    how it’s the boot camp?
    The showers?
    The rooms?
    I hope your answer very soon !
    robsmi01

--
    03 Sep 2018 08:18 AM
    Tomorrow I go to MEPS and am going to boot camp ASAP afterwords (I was told it would take about a month). As of now, I can pass everything for the PFT. I am just wondering about the push ups, do my arms need to be close together while performing the push ups or does it really not matter? I've never really received a definitive answer, and I would like to know what to practice this final month. Thank you!
    Tracyraquel

--
    23 Sep 2018 10:06 AM
    Please explain first week PT test, shipping out tomorrow and I’m prepared but worried about lack of sleep and nerves effecting my run time. Need advice ASAP.
    Susu

--
    27 Feb 2019 11:56 AM
    How much if any did JROTC programs in  high school and leadership camps  prepare you for Bootcamp?
    My husband is ret Airforce officer they don’t do Bootcamp. My father is a ret e-9 Navy he went through Bootcamp in 1955. My son is at CapeMay currently. Thank you for your service. 
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    27 Feb 2019 06:01 PM
    When I was in bootcamp some people who did JROTC did very poorly in boot camp while others performed just fine. Those people knew a little more about how to march but other than that they didn't stand out more than anyone else.
    chels.a.mil

--
    04 Mar 2019 07:52 AM
    SO many questions.. but I will condense to what I haven't seen yet in the comments.
    As far as advanced knowledge, I have a good idea of some of the questions they will ask because I have Julian Miyata, and Andre Milla's Books on Kindle, as well as a copy of the Helmsman (fully prepared to study until my brain explodes).

I was wondering if there are any bizarre questions they asked?
    Strix

--
    05 Mar 2019 10:15 AM
    @chels.a.mil

Everything we were ever asked, was either covered in the helmsman (for the love of all things living, know it cover to cover before you go. Be able to describe collar devices of both enlisted and officers) OR it was the plan of the week type stuff (who is the officer on duty that day, sunrise/sunset time.. etc) that you will just need to memorize before bed for the next day. They rarely drilled us on things we learned in class. Honestly if you just pay attention and are good at knowledge retention you wont have too hard of a time. The hardest part for me was just being miserably ill and still trying to keep up because I didn't want to be reverted (there was a 2 week gap between me and the next company.) I had pneumonia and still pushed myself pretty hard and ended up having to do breathing treatments and carry an inhaler. My CC's could tell who was really sick and still trying so I'd like to say they cut us some slack by not being too harsh during PT on us.

Just know your general orders, phonetic alphabet, all your ranks and collar devices and shoulder boards etc and you will be good! Just pay attention, stay awake, try your hardest every second of every day and you'll come out a better person than you went in.
    RaquelR

--
    26 Jul 2019 05:45 PM
    Posted By UrsusAureus on 07 Mar 2015 05:16 PM
    I just graduated yesterday from V-190- if you have any questions about recruit training, just ask me anything! I'll answer everything I feel is fair to be answered...being surprised on certain things is an important part of the training.

My orders? USCGC Morgenthau home ported in Honolulu!

I am honestly undecided between AD & Reserves. Graduated and would be going in as an E3, how difficult or easy is it to manage the USCG with a dog, that's if you know anyone that has a pet or have a pet yourself.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    26 Jul 2019 05:50 PM
    If you get assigned to live in a barracks or on a ship you wont be able to have your dog or any pets with you. If you are married you will be able to live on the economy and get your own place so then you could keep your dog.
    Whiteman

--
    13 Sep 2019 10:38 AM
    My son was in week 5 received his orders and also got reverted. Will he keep the orders?

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 Sep 2019 11:49 AM
    Whiteman, the same happened to my son. Yes, he kept his orders. There are circumstances that could dictate a change if the need for a nonrate is greater than the 1 week wait for their arrival but it is likely his orders will not change.

That said, if they are changed, if they aren't, when you write to your son, encouragement, encouragement, encouragement. Don't worry about writing about the reversion or anything more serious. Just encourage and support. He will figure the rest out. Honestly, most that are reverted get a lot out of it and come out saying they are better for having been reverted. I like to say anyone can do boot camp in 8 weeks... It is the special Coasties that take 9, 10, even 11 to get it done. Hang in there dad, all is well.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    14 Sep 2019 04:23 AM
    In most cases recruits will keep their orders. If the gap between his two companies is greater than 1 week sometimes units request the orders get canceled so they can get a recruit their sooner. But it's rare for orders to be canceled for a single reversion.

---
    Active Forums 4.3