Missing Boot Camp adventures REALLY!
Last Post 31 Jan 2011 09:21 AM by Sangamon. 33 Replies.
Author Messages
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Pmackey

--
15 Jun 2010 09:20 AM
    Hmmmm, I couldn't decide what forum thread to put this under.. Family Forum or this one. Since it was specific to Boot Camp I opted for this one.. ADMIN if you want to move it- by all means do your job

Soooooo, I am totally missing boot camp days. Like CRAZY! I miss waiting for that first letter, the Tuesday journals, Wednesday mail for a friend and Thursday mail for me.. I also miss Monday and Tuesday scavenger hunt on the FB page searching for pictures of my SR or video of the off base runs.. all of it was incredibly fun.

Those of you heading out to BC- make sure one of your family members knows about all these resources.. they are a wealth of information and just add so much to the BC experience. for them- not you..

My coastie son even said he missed bc.. as hard and difficult as it was and as much as he wanted to give up at one point he was so well worth it in the end... He must have said FIRE FIRE FIRE every day he was home before leaving for his first assignment as though he missed it.

The CC's impacted his life like no other has. They all walked away with so much respect for those men..

But back to the original thought- I miss boot camp days.. but I am enjoying talking to my son often and what he is learning and doing and the adventures he is experiencing.. So much better than laying in bed all day only to wake up and play Call of Duty all dadgum day and night!
    For that Lord THANK YOU FOR THE USCG!

Proud Mom of FA MACKEY USCGC JARVIS (WHEC 725) Honolulu, HI
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CablesMom

--
    15 Jun 2010 10:29 PM
    Ha. I totally understand from a mom's point of view. My son is in Kodiak, Alaska. I just got done skyping with him. Guess what he hung up for? Call of Duty with his brother sitting next to me! So, he goes to work all day and still plays Call of Duty half the night some nights. Oh well. That's teenagers for you!

I know what you mean about missing boot camp, too. Those eight weeks were filled with 'find your coastie' in the videos and pictures on facebook, letters to Cape May, and letters from Cape May, updating family, waiting for phone calls, etc. When he first got out of boot and left for his first station I thought "Now what do I do?" I found myself suddenly bored. It's been two months since graduation and I've since snapped out of it. So, it does get better. Hang in there!
    Proud Coastie Mom
    BM3psu

--
    28 Jun 2010 08:55 PM
    HAHA Mrs. Mackey,
    thats all josh could talk about was you while in basic and how proud of him you were and our joke was heres 2 josh's that are gonna come out with a new out look on life. I have been home for a few weeks now and my mom says the same, she gets off work and speeds to the mailbox to check for my letters and sometimes i catch her at that moment with a phone call and she just starts laughing when answering the phone, she says i was just looking for your letter in the mail, and i just chuckle. Its amazing the 8 week impact basic has on a family.
    Best wishes to you and FA Mackey.
    I leave for "A" School next week soit may start all over again hahaha
    Future BM3
    July 12 - Oct 01
    Psu 307
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    29 Jun 2010 08:55 AM
    Yes BM3 I am also changed through this experience.. my changing hasn't stopped yet because I'm learning how to live without one of my kiddo's. Whew- not an easy task for this silly mom!

So you were in boot with Mackey- I made myself quite known around there apparently. Thanks to this amazing forum it allowed me "connections" I Wouldn't have normally had. LOVED IT! MISS IT! Wish there was a connection to his new unit.. Cause my son is a man of few words I have to know what to ask to get any kind of answers..Someone REALLY needs to start a newletter for the JARVIS. Someone who is there and can post pictures and stories..

I'll be sure to pass on the kind words to FA MACKEY! Once I figure out who you are..
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Jun 2010 09:09 AM
    There probably is some sort of Jarvis newsletter. Colin's former Captain put out an email newsletter and all you had to do was contact him, let him know you wanted on the mailing list & voila, you got updates right from the old man. Have him ask around... it could be the CO, the XO or the Ombudsman or someone else involved with the ship that does put together newsletters.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    29 Jun 2010 10:42 AM
    Well- I am now on a mission.. Is there a proper and improper chain of communication? I've checked the website but there hasn't been anything there.. I'll keep searching and maybe finding something out. Thanks Macie!

BM3- Also wanted to wish you well in A school! Make sure to keep us posted! ok!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    29 Jun 2010 11:31 AM
    You could ask FA Mackey to run the question up the Chain of Command.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    29 Jun 2010 11:36 AM
    Well thanks Gears I'll give that a try...
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    jkribell

--
    29 Jun 2010 12:01 PM
    Not sure how it works on the Jarvis but I will find out....I do have my sources after all!! I know for Heathers ship, it is through the Ohmbudsman. The captain sends updates (when they are deployed) to her and then she forwards on the communications to the rest of the family members. Usually the family members add you on to the ohmbudsmans list but with good ole cactus blossom, I had to do some sleuthing to get added!!!
    Lucky to live in Hawaii - Mom to FS3Kribell, USCGC Hamilton, San Diego
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    29 Jun 2010 02:02 PM
    Oh Jan!! Of course. Let me know what you find out.. Thankful for this connection :-)
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    09 Jul 2010 04:34 PM
    there is a news letter for the jarvis. actually a very nice one. i used to have a link.....

just checked if you do a search for uscgc jarvis newsletter....it will bring up all kinds of information.
    letter is called the jarvis jargon.

enjoy!
    ~Jen~
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    09 Jul 2010 04:36 PM
    the only way the ombudsman will add you to the list is if your child makes the request. otherwise they will discreetly ignore so not to violate confidentiality. i guess not all of these coastie kids want their moms knowing the scoop.

can you imagine/????
    ~Jen~
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    09 Jul 2010 05:20 PM
    Actually Jen, my mom doesn't want to know the scoop. She just assumes everything is rainbows and sunshine, and I've never been in a situation where my life might be in danger. It helps her sleep at night.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    09 Jul 2010 05:22 PM

gears.....
    if you were my son, i probably wouldn't wanna know the scoop either!

lol :-)
    ~Jen~
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    09 Jul 2010 05:23 PM
    Jen,

If you were my mom. I would hide the scoop.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    09 Jul 2010 08:24 PM
    Ok- well I got ahold of Ombudsman and she was very kind to assist me. They don't do a newsletter until after they do a patrol.. She was kind of enough to agree to forward me the newsletter when she gets it- which won't be for a long time because they haven't even left for their patrol yet...

Gears I bet your mom is an incredible woman to have raised you and loved you no matter what >=)

Thanks Jen for the info..

Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    09 Jul 2010 09:34 PM

oh gears plz!!
    for the most part she tells me everything....
    sometimes too much info. just on the
    rare occassion does she keep things from me.

i am a good mom to share with. goof!
    ~Jen~
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    09 Jul 2010 09:53 PM
    Pmack,

She def did her best. Even though there were times I've seriously made her wonder....

Jen,

You are a good mom to share things with. No doubt.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    09 Jul 2010 11:03 PM
    I don't have a mom, so I just share things with Gears.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    10 Jul 2010 07:06 AM
    He does. If only he would share his secret to having a perfectly shiny scalp...
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    10 Jul 2010 08:15 AM
    It's easy. Shave it, and use a loofa!
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    khollyk

--
    12 Jul 2010 08:21 PM
    Pmackey --
    Not sure if you know about this site. Unfortunately it looks like the Jarvis doesn't post their newletters online like some of the other cutters, but there is some info, and pictures from the last patrol. If you haven't seen it before, definitely check it out!
    Here's the link:
    http://www.uscg.mil/pacarea/cgcjarvis/

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    13 Jul 2010 08:18 AM
    Thanks so much kholly! I will check it out. Ya- the ombudsman- said they wont do anything until they get back from thier next patrol.. I've heard of other Capt. writting to the families emails of upcoming duties etc. Purhaps their new Capt. will think to do that.. If not- oh well. I have been able to connect with a mom whos son just got sent there. Her son and mine have made friends and those connections help!

I wish the AF would fly me over there! HA!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    15 Jul 2010 03:23 PM
    Why not fly USCG instead of AF? We have planes too! Nothing says excitement like a long flight on a C-130! LOL

(Yes, I know she isn't eligible to fly military flights anymore than I am at this point in my life... I'm just sayin') :-)
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    15 Jul 2010 03:54 PM
    I don't know how the Coast Guard has their C-130's set up, but the toilet facilities on an Air Force Herc make an old fashioned outhouse look luxurious by comparison.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    15 Jul 2010 05:10 PM
    same facilities on the Coast Guard! Over 3500 flight hours on the C130, very familiar with the amenities lol
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    16 Jul 2010 06:54 AM
    I have only flown between Kodiak and Anchorage on a C-130, I can hold it for that amount of time but if memory serves... I would have held it if we were flying around the world. LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    16 Jul 2010 07:10 AM
    Macie,

Have you ever seen an Army latrine? It's alot like walking on to the set of Deliverance...
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    16 Jul 2010 07:33 AM
    Gears,

Fortunately the only time I have been on Army bases is when they were having open houses and were all decked out nice & pretty. My only other experience is Scott was in the Army for 6 years & I know what his bathroom looks like, so I can just use my imagination from there. HAHAHA

Me
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Daisymaeshoe

--
    22 Jan 2011 01:25 PM
    Is your son still on the USCGCJarvis? My son graduates bootcamp next Friday, and reports to the Jarvis in Honolulu the following Friday!
    macsmith

--
    24 Jan 2011 11:07 PM
    Hi, Which is the best place for boot-camp?
    -----------------------------
    http://www.dpsainiflorist.com
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    25 Jan 2011 05:59 AM
    Parris Island, South Carolina... It's where Marines are made. Real ones, not the Hollywood kind.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Carissamarie08

--
    30 Jan 2011 05:36 AM
    bootcamp was fun. I miss it
    Sangamon

--
    31 Jan 2011 09:21 AM
    I'm A little lost, what resources are we talking about? I ship MAR01, and if I can make it easier on the folks, I would like to.

---
    Active Forums 4.3