Working part time while active duty.
Last Post 12 Nov 2016 04:59 AM by TheLonelyOS. 3 Replies.
Author Messages
Allowatsakima2

--
25 Oct 2016 02:40 AM
    I am shipping out January 10th and was wondering what the rules were on working somewhere part time while active duty. Since I am a paramedic currently I was planning on trying to work for a fire department part time or PRN while active duty. If not I may just volunteer. Thank you.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Oct 2016 09:29 AM
    You will not be able work only because paid EMT's have a strict schedule. You probably could not accommodate that with your CG schedule. You could volunteer. Also, that would be a while down the road. You will have A LOT to learn when you get to your first unit. The CG should be and will be your main focus until you are qualified. You can work a second job, like bartender, something that has a very flexible schedule that can meet the needs of the service. Paid EMT, fire fighter, cop they need you to be there 24 on, 24 off, or something similar to a CG schedule.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    blaneypark

--
    08 Nov 2016 09:28 AM
    The city where I live there are two Coasties on the local fire dept. Both went through the fire academy and are state certified. The dept here is a paid/volunteer. There was also one Coastie who was an EMT and the dept worked a schedule around his. He has since transfered. Yes it is doable
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLonelyOS

--
    12 Nov 2016 04:59 AM
    I've seen people here uber and delivering pizza. All depends on your command. I wouldn't worry about having a job until you get to your first unit and get qualified.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor

---
    Active Forums 4.3