USCG Forum
Sr. Chief Anchor
Last Post 11 Apr 2019 12:06 PM by MastersMate. 5 Replies.
Author Messages
dwelsh54

--
06 Apr 2019 02:36 AM
    When di dthe star on a Sr. Chief collar device move to the top of the anchor from the center of the eye
    MastersMate

--
    06 Apr 2019 07:50 PM
    1999sh or 2000 sh..
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 Apr 2019 10:19 AM
    Oh it had to be earlier than that. I seem to remember being able to spot a Senior or Master Chief quickly because the star was above. I was a young non-rates wife in 1985. I never wanted to embarrass my husband by calling someone by the wrong rank, so I learned them pretty quickly.

I remember once I was walking through a mall food court with my son, he was about 9 and we saw some Coasties. They were a fair enough distance away. But one made eye contact and I said Hi Chief. He said hi back. My son asked how I knew he was a Chief? I said I looked at his device. That son is now a Coastie himself and could identify the rank on a flea at 100 yards. LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    MastersMate

--
    08 Apr 2019 07:00 PM
    The federal supply specification sheets note that in Feb 1998, the star on the SCPO collar insignia was placed above the ring and rotated to display one ray pointing up. Spec sheets from Nov 2003 note the same design change for the SCPO combination cap and miniature garrison hat insignia to look the same as the collar insignia.

Good memory..  The SCPO star WAS relocated from being fixed on the crossing of the stock and shank of the anchor to a position up on the ring of the anchor. One ray was still pointing downward with that change. That design change was in the mid 1980s ..

Amazing that the small shift in position  was even noticed.  The change at the turn of the century caused enough heartburn between the old school traditionalists and the new guard.  Check out the wording on the back of the CG Good Conduct Medal.  That was changed in the same 2000sh time frame.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Apr 2019 06:34 AM
    Wow, I wouldn't have thought that change was that recent. Excellent info!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    MastersMate

--
    11 Apr 2019 12:06 PM
    Other trivia points to ponder if this was not just a one time info request..

What year was the overseas hat CPO insignia authorized ?
    What year were CPO collar insignia authorized ?
    What year was senior and master CPO collar insignia authorized ?
    What year was the combination cap and overseas hat insignia for senior and master CPO authorized ?

The USN would have authorized the insignia and the CG would follow up on the authorization a bit later in time, with a change to the uniform regulations..

---
    Active Forums 4.3