Best (or worst) Food in your travels??
Last Post 25 Mar 2012 02:18 PM by Hunt. 20 Replies.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
MasterGuns2077

--
16 Jan 2012 11:39 AM
    So a discussion in a different thread led to comparions of burger joints and I was inspired to create this thread.
    Costies travel, and in those travels no doubt come across some amazing (or awful) places to get "the best" of anything.  So, in your travels, where have you gotten the best __________? 
    Fill in the blank with any food or beverage.  Best wings?  Best burger?  Best pizza?  Local microbrew?  Coffee?  The list could go on forever. 
    Suggestions for where to get the best food/drink, or places to avoid at all costs!  You never know where your travels could take you, so any of this info could be a godsend someday!
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    16 Jan 2012 12:29 PM
    Raising Canes has some awesome chicken strips...it is normally standing room only at lunch time.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    16 Jan 2012 07:06 PM
    Kuma's Korner in Chicago, IL... You'll never talk me down MasterGuns!!
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    16 Jan 2012 07:51 PM
    If I'm ever in Chicago, I'll go there. So long as if you're ever in Memphis, you hit Alex's. Do we have a deal?!?!
    Also in Memphis: BBQ nachos at Central BBQ. Rendezvous? Their ribs are good but on the whole that place is overrated
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    16 Jan 2012 08:02 PM
    I'm heading through Memphis next month. Gonna stop at Alex's. I promise!
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    17 Jan 2012 10:51 AM
    Good to hear, Gears. The place is off Jackson, total dive but it's a cop bar. So it's probably the safest bar in town!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    rfail1988

--
    18 Jan 2012 10:19 AM
    As discussed in another topic... five guys burgers are magical. they must put cocaine in their burgers or something. Don't knock it ;-)
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Jan 2012 11:47 AM
    Valdez, Alaska - Halibut House! The halibut there is so tasty! It's like the McDonald's of Halibut!

Then of course there is the now infamous Pipeline Club! Why infamous you ask? I'll tell you... That's the bar Captain Joe Hazelwood sat at enjoying a drink or 12 before boarding the Exxon Valdez and promptly running her aground.

**Joke** What did Joe Hazelwood say to 3rd Mate Cousins after the ship hit Bligh Reef?? I said a Bud Light, not a hard right! (A little MST humor there.)
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    18 Jan 2012 05:43 PM
    five guys burgers are magical.

Really? I give them an "okay" at best. West Pier in Sault Ste Marie, MI.. now that's a burger!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Jan 2012 09:00 PM
    Five guys burgers are good. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat them... but their french fries... That is worth going out of the way for!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Mad_Miller20

--
    24 Jan 2012 03:25 PM
    Five Guys burgers have turned into a franchise. They are good but no better than any other franchise. Sam's Deli Diner in Houston Texas as well as McGuire's Irish Pub in Destin Florida are the best burgers I have ever come across.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    24 Jan 2012 04:06 PM
    Well with all the 5 guys talk I gave them another try...mistake! I will never walk in the door again, the 5 guys can keep their hamburgers...I will be going to Razoo’s to satisfy my hamburger desires, their hamburger is awesome, great flavor (I do get it without the BBQ sauce though, do not like it with that on it), the fries and hushpuppies that come with it are spicy good. Give it a try you will like it, I promise.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    24 Jan 2012 07:00 PM
    What turned you off to five guys? Like I said, their burgers are ok, I wouldn't go crazy over it but it is alright. But I do LOVE their fries!

I have had a couple of burgers here... I like Culver's. They are really good. But I haven't found anything that if I moved tomorrow I would cry leaving it behind!

I have one in Dallas... Eatzi's. That place is amazing! The Thai Beef Salad is second to none. The beef steak tomato and mozzarella... oh my! I'm salivating thinking about it. Also the Philly roll sushi... nummy, nummy, nummy! There was one in Chicago but it has closed and only the 2 in Dallas are left. So sad... I would have gone to Chicago tomorrow for lunch!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    24 Jan 2012 07:16 PM
    Zero flavor, very bland, over priced, and was kind of cold...fries were ok but not good enough to carry the hamburger. Actually I know I could have made a better hamburger using the cheap frozen bulk patties that come in a box and a day old bun.

Eatzis you say...may have to try them one of these days.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    24 Jan 2012 07:34 PM
    We were headed to the State Fair, it was the same day as the Red River rivalary... I forgot, my bad! The traffic was a nightmare. I looked at Scott and said "We could get off at the next exit, go to Eatzi's and go home and enjoy!" I never saw a car whip through standing traffic like ours did at that moment! LOL It isn't cheap but it is worth every penny. Although I never thought it was too much for the quality of food I got!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    iking3i

--
    24 Jan 2012 09:22 PM
    Bens Chili Bowl in Washington DC.. Barack Obama just ate there.. BEST DOG AND CHILLI FRIES EVER!!!!!!!!!!!
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    24 Jan 2012 11:50 PM
    I have seen several double posts but a quad post...now that is impressive.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Jan 2012 05:19 AM
    Cleaned that up!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    25 Jan 2012 01:45 PM
    OG, that Eatzi's place sounds spectacular, I'll cruise by there if I ever find myself near Dallas.
    Just ate Central BBQ Nachos...gotta get those, I prefer them with hot vinegar and tobasco sauce, with jalapenos...oh lord...gonna be hungry again.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    27 Jan 2012 06:31 AM
    Bens Chili Bowl in Washington DC.. Barack Obama just ate there.. BEST DOG AND CHILLI FRIES EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

I've heard the same, but I read on Yelp it's quite overrated. I'll be going to DC this year I'll be sure to give it a shot.
    Hunt

--
    25 Mar 2012 02:18 PM
    worst food- mid Michigan pizza and attempts at Mexican food

---
    Active Forums 4.3