Shooting At Base in Kodiak
Last Post 12 Apr 2012 07:08 PM by FloridaGirl. 12 Replies.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
poogotflung

--
12 Apr 2012 02:12 PM
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    12 Apr 2012 02:24 PM
    Hoping all is well, A sad day in the Coast Guard.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    12 Apr 2012 02:32 PM
    Was just going to post this. I am ok. I literally had just left watch when this occurred. I am pretty freaked out, since I am pretty close to everyone at Commsta, and I was literally minutes away from being there myself.

Obviously, due to OPSEC, I cannot and will not comment on this at this time, so please don't ask (I know most of you wouldn't but still). For anyone stationed here in Kodiak, do not spread scuttlebutt. I only say this because my phone has been going CRAZY this morning with people asking me for details.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    12 Apr 2012 02:34 PM
    Glad to hear you are ok Florida,

Our prayers go out to all, Kodiak is considered our home. That kind of thing so rarely happens there.

Take care of yourself and if you need to talk, don't be afraid to ask. We have great resources available.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    poogotflung

--
    12 Apr 2012 02:36 PM
    Glad You're OK. I saw this and started searching but the news articles are so vague.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    12 Apr 2012 02:43 PM
    Before it was released this was the phone call I made to my hubs and my parents. "There has been an incident. I am ok. I cannot talk about it." That's one phone call I wish I never had to make.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    12 Apr 2012 03:38 PM
    Just tragic!

We are all so glad you are okay FloridaGirl. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you in Kodiak and in the Coast Guard.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    12 Apr 2012 04:11 PM
    Posted By FloridaGirl on 12 Apr 2012 03:43 PM
    Before it was released this was the phone call I made to my hubs and my parents. "There has been an incident. I am ok. I cannot talk about it." That's one phone call I wish I never had to make.
    Glad you're ok. You're one of the first people I thought about when I heard. 

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    12 Apr 2012 05:53 PM
    Thank you. I still have watch tonight as normal, and the closer it get the more I fear what I will learn. Although with the swarm of activity, I am sure this is one of the safest places I could be now.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    12 Apr 2012 06:21 PM
    Glad you're okay, FG. Take care of yourself and your shipmates. We're here if you need anything.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    12 Apr 2012 06:38 PM
    Blessed you are well, glad you were able to let your family know. Keeping all of you in prayer.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Apr 2012 06:42 PM
    Geez Florida I instantly started crying I thought of you right away. I am so glad you are safe. If you need to talk, let me know. I'll be here for you.

My condolences to you & the base for the loss.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    12 Apr 2012 07:08 PM
    Shipmates,

It is with deep sorrow that I send this message to you this evening. Earlier today, two members of our Coast Guard Family were found deceased following a shooting at Communications Station Kodiak, on Kodiak Island, Alaska. Notifications to the families of the deceased members have been made. As a
    matter of respect to the families, we will wait 24 hours prior to releasing the individuals' names. Once the 24 hours has passed, I will release the names of our deceased Shipmates to all of you.
    Few details are available on the circumstances surrounding their deaths. The Coast Guard Investigative Service is working closely with Federal, State and Local partners to actively and fully investigate this fatal shooting.
    While this investigation is ongoing, my first priority is the safety and security of our Coast Guard family in Kodiak. To this end, the Coast Guard Police Department is working with local law enforcement to increase security patrols and has asked everyone to remain vigilant. In addition, Senior Leadership across the Coast Guard is already working to move a variety of resources to Kodiak to ensure family and unit needs are addressed.
    For now, please keep the Coast Guard family on Kodiak Island in your thoughts and prayers as they move through this difficult time and seek to understand more fully what has happened.

Semper Paratus,
    Admiral Bob Papp
    Commandant

---
    Active Forums 4.3