Everyone forgets the Coast Guard, including President Obama
Last Post 23 Jan 2011 05:17 PM by Gears. 31 Replies.
Author Messages
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
FloridaGirl

--
04 Dec 2010 07:13 PM
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    newms

--
    04 Dec 2010 08:28 PM
    Adm. Papp testified during the DADT appeal.  On the news, they said all of the military branches will be present - Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force.....and that's all.  Haha, and look, he was there.

newms! PATFORSWA
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Dec 2010 08:45 PM
    Argh!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    04 Dec 2010 09:09 PM
    I really love how someone yelled out Coast Guard, and he recognized it, and then.....ignored it. 

And newms, there were some articles on MILITARY websites that talked about the four branches of the military and what their respective commanders thought.  Huh?  Our own brothers and sisters ignored us too!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    newms

--
    04 Dec 2010 11:59 PM

I imagine the whole 'Department of Homeland Security' thing is a tough sell.

--All we can do is spread the word to as many folks as possible.

On the same topic, I liked this thread from a few months ago:
    http://www.uscg.org/Forum/aft/8584.aspx
    newms! PATFORSWA
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    05 Dec 2010 07:08 AM
    Here's a little reminder straight from 14USC:

Sec. 1. Establishment of Coast Guard

-STATUTE-
    The Coast Guard as established January 28, 1915, shall be a
    military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United
    States at all times.
    The Coast Guard shall be a service in the
    Department of Homeland Security, except when operating as a service
    in the Navy.

Here's the link... http://www.uscg.org/Forum/aft/9471.aspx

Print it out, stick it in your pocket. Next time someone forgets toss a copy in their lap.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    05 Dec 2010 02:33 PM
    Knoebels Grove amusement park in elysburg pa flys the Coast Guard Flag all season long
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    07 Dec 2010 05:05 AM
    doesn't surprise me......
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Wisper7

--
    09 Dec 2010 11:12 PM
    Just saw from my high school graduating class today and I told him I was going into the coast guard and he asked "Which coast?"...ahaha

Coming from Arizona, like 50% of the people haven't even heard of us. 25% of the people think that just because it's under "Dep. of Homeland Security" it can't be military (which makes no sense to me, cause it's just freakin bureaucracy!!) and the other 25% actually know what it is. Or pretend to at least.

After he heard that guy call Coast guard, it almost looked like he laughed at him lol. Sure that wasn't his intent, but he did a pretty good job of goofying that up

and Gears, that link just sent me back to this same page? Or were you saying print this page.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Browns24

--
    11 Dec 2010 08:27 AM
    I was in a CG exchange one day and there was a navy guy in there talking to someone and he said "the CG is not a military organization" I could do nothing but laugh as once again, he was in a CG exchange.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    COASTIE_OS

--
    11 Dec 2010 11:17 AM
    Sometimes when I tell people I'm in the Coast Guard their minds immediately go to NATIONAL GUARD I'm like no , Coast Guard I'm active duty military protecting our countries borders.

People who do not know frustrate me sometimes, but thats life.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    11 Dec 2010 01:22 PM
    This is the link in question... http://uscode.house.gov/download/title_14.shtml Thanks Wisper.

Any of you BTM/BO/ME hopefuls will want to pay REAL close attention to 14USC89...
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    11 Dec 2010 04:39 PM
    which part are you trying to point out in there gears. I have read so many CFR as of late that i just want the short version
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    12 Dec 2010 05:27 AM
    Sec. 1. Establishment of Coast Guard

-STATUTE-
    The Coast Guard as established January 28, 1915, shall be a
    military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United
    States at all times. The Coast Guard shall be a service in the
    Department of Homeland Security, except when operating as a service
    in the Navy.

14USC89 details the USCG Law Enforcement authority.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    COASTIE_OS

--
    12 Dec 2010 07:56 AM
    don't forget ALPHA... 14usc89A lol.... I loved reciting that over and over again!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    bikesnotscott

--
    12 Dec 2010 10:09 PM
    This irks me. I haven't even gone to boot camp yet, but I still have much pride in being accepted into the CG and will serve with everything i've got (hoo-ra). So when I see this disregard for the CG amongst media, politics, etc. it just rubs me the wrong way, knowing what each and everyone of you do day in and day out to protect our country on so many different levels. I actually visited my local Y the other day to talk about a membership and asked about the free military memberships (aware I probably wouldn't get it at this point as I don't have my ID yet) and the nice woman at the front desk asked me which branch and I politely responded "U.S. Coast Guard, Ma'am" and she replied "Oh... I don't think the free memberships apply to the Coast Guard".

Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    12 Dec 2010 10:13 PM
    It is true. The free membership program is a DOD sponsored program. The memberships are paid for by the DOD. Believe it or not the Coast Guard had the option but elected not to take it due to budget constraints. Just not enough money in the pot.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    14 Dec 2010 10:21 AM
    but some of the Y will hook the members up from what i have been told by a couple
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    14 Dec 2010 10:37 AM
    I am working a well crafted letter for the local Y here in Western NY. Hopefully they will come through. Awesome facility's here!
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    meinschloss

--
    24 Dec 2010 02:18 AM
    Have to say that 75% of my folks were in the Air Force for 20 years and not one of them knew that the Coast Guard wasn't an offshoot of the Navy. Also, we're a military service because we have the ability to go to war. Hello Vietnam, Guadalcanal, Normandy, etc...
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    24 Dec 2010 10:48 AM
    Guadalcanal

The CG basically handled every island invasion during WWII from Guam to staging for the invasion of Japan. We can thank the AF for taking care of any further Japanese resistance.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    27 Dec 2010 07:47 AM
    Posted By Gears on 24 Dec 2010 11:48 AM
    Guadalcanal

The CG basically handled every island invasion during WWII from Guam to staging for the invasion of Japan. We can thank the AF for taking care of any further Japanese resistance.

No, we can't thank the Airforce.  We can thank Army Air Corp though.  AF didn't exist until 1947.  Unless you mean something else by AF.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    28 Dec 2010 05:03 AM
    FG,

We can thank Army Air Corp though.

I'm very impressed. What was the Coast Guard called before it was the Coast Guard?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    28 Dec 2010 05:35 PM
    Posted By Gears on 28 Dec 2010 06:03 AM
    FG,

We can thank Army Air Corp though.

I'm very impressed. What was the Coast Guard called before it was the Coast Guard?

Trick question.  Coast Guard is a combination of forces, The Revenue Cutter Service (which is were we get 1790 from), The US Life Saving Service (I believe it was 1915 those two merged to form the modern "Coast Guard"), but the US Lighthouse Service was added in the 30's I believe.  So there

International Political Science was my college major.  Most of my classmates were in the service.  You pick up things....But really, my grandpa joined the Army Air Corp in 1946 so he became part of the USAF in 1947 when the separation happened.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Chisels1

--
    17 Jan 2011 09:30 PM
    Including President Obama?, where is the surprise there, or for any branch of the Military for that matter.

Lets face it the Coast Guard is suffering from identity issues, Marketing is no where to be found and we are funded by the Military's pocket change.

I come from a long line of Military members, my Grandfather and Uncle, Army, WWII and Korea, Great Grandfather WWI Cavalry. My Brother Army Infantry, Purple Heart Veteran of the Iraq Surge, my younger brother Army National Guard, ROTC.

I don't know about the latest crop of malcontents but I associated with friends who knew who the Coast Guard were and in school thought it was for smart students since it was tougher to get in. I'm 22

My dad feels the Coast Guard is under utilized and should actually be Marketed like the Marines are. Homeland Security should be under the Department of Defense and should be doubled in size and the Coast Guards $10 Billion drop in the bucket budget, should also be increased, they need a dream sheet.

The Defense Budget should be cut in some areas and increased in others, the Pay Scale should be dramatically increased over several years.

The Coast Guard Uniform needs to go, we look like we work at Jiffy Lube.  How about a Digital Version of blues and greys.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Jan 2011 09:57 AM
    The biggest point... the DOD versus Homeland Security thing... If we are a division of DOD, we cannot board ships. It can (and would be) seen as a hostile act or an act of war. That is why Navy, Marines, Army are not allowed to board foreign vessels without a Coastie. So while we should be acknowledged like the other branches that are DOD, we cannot actually become a part of DOD during times of peace. In a nut shell... I'm sure someone can expand on that.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Chisels1

--
    18 Jan 2011 01:04 PM
    Sounds like Semantics and its our Department of Defense, we should be able to do what we want in our jurisdiction, how are the National Guard allowed to handle Border Issues or any Police type action, are they not under the DOD? What happens when the National Guard or the Coast Guard gets orders to Deploy to a War Zone?

Is that why the Coast Guard uniform looks like a Police Uniform ( Jiffy Lube )more then a Military Uniform? Who cares, the Coast Guard would be handling incidents as usual and besides since when is Defense/Homeland Security determined by a declaration, both words mean the same thing.

It is Defending the United States 24/7/365 Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard and National Guardsman all have specialized Duties but above all else its a form of Defense, War or Peace need not be declared, IMHO
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    23 Jan 2011 07:47 AM
    Sure in OUR jurisdiction. What about when my son's ship pulls up next to a boat off the coast of Ecuador? Should his Captain board a boat to make sure it is safe, legal, fisheries are being conducted properly and possibly irritate the Ecuadorian government with what can be construed as an act of hostility but an Armed Force of the US Military. You are comparing the CG to your brothers service in the Army far too much. We operate under a different set of rules and we need to continue to operate as such. It is not the black and white issue you want it to be. It isn't a matter of "We are the US, do as we say!" Which is very much the way I am reading your posts. I could be wrong, its hard to read emotion however, that is how it is coming across.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Chisels1

--
    23 Jan 2011 10:02 AM
    OldGuard2,   I'm very passionate about our Military and I believe our men and women don't get enough of what they need, that goes for every aspect of their business,such as equipment, pay, quality of life, proper mission directives and then on top of that they don't get enough respect from their own superiors and the real evil, being pushed around by Politics and Civilians.

Yes, I'll admit my Brother has made me a bit jaundice but I feel the Coast Guard deserves more respect, a bigger role and should be better equiped to handle missions that those rates are trained to do,seems there is an overlap of duties and to much grey area.

You mentioned if a Coast Guard Boat pulled up in another Country's bay or port and tried to board the next ship over.  Why would they do that? Its out of our Jurisdiction.
    If however their ship was in our port and we had reason to believe they had Drugs on board or that their ship had issues that were a hazard we should be able to board them and yes we should be armed but not go in like storm troopers either.

I'm sure there are Diplomatic considerations to such action but after that we shouldn't have to stand down to any Country within our Countries limits.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    23 Jan 2011 02:42 PM
    ANd how exactly do you think we stop drug runners? Illegal immigration on the high seas? We don't wait until they pull into the port of Miami and say "Gotcha". We are out there, in all oceans, around the globe, making sure that stuff that sholudn't be going on, isn't. You don't think our ships are sailing all over the world just to take vacations???? I know you are smarter than that!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Chisels1

--
    23 Jan 2011 04:52 PM
    That is a bit different now.  We are preventing the enemy from getting to our ports with the weapons of destruction (Drugs) We know this by intelligence gathering first. Just because they stop enroute to the U.S. means nothing.    The War against Drugs  shouldn't have no boundries if in the end our Country is the Target.

Its a tough line but I'm sure we don't go into a Port of another Country to Board a Foreign Vessel on a whim.

I just thought of something, if the Vessel is registered in the U.S. does that make it easier to Board no matter where vs a Foreign Registered Vessel?

I just don't understand the reason for Homeland Security vs DOD and why they aren't given the same power and why the Coast Guard couldn't then be part of DOD with special operations and flexibility given to all Branches. I'm sure there are reasons I'm not sure its driven by the right people.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    23 Jan 2011 05:17 PM
    I'm sure there are reasons

Lawyers are the reason.

---
    Active Forums 4.3