captains lic in LA
Last Post 27 May 2009 08:12 PM by Old Guard2. 7 Replies.
Author Messages
redbone

--
04 Jun 2003 09:24 PM
    How can I get a Captains license to guide for fishing in LA? What's the fastest and, or most economical?
    Redbone
    504-319-4446
    Steve

--
    05 Jun 2003 01:22 AM
    Here are the requirements for a Captain's License.

Minimum age - 18 years

Proof of Age, Citizenship, and Social security number (Notarized copies acceptable)

First Aid and CPR Training - Original or notarized copy of first aid and CPR course certificates. First aid certificate must be completed within the past 12 months from (a)The American Red Cross Standard First Aid and Emergency Care or Multi-media Standard First Aid Course, or (b) A Coast Guard approved first aid training course. CPR certificate must be currently valid from The American National Red Cross, The American Heart Association, or
    Coast Guard approved or accepted CPR training course.

Completed USCG information and application form is available via
    http://www.uscg.mil/d1/units/msobos

Drug Test - USCG "Drug Free" testing requirements are listed along with the required drug test form at www.uscg.mil/d1/units/msobos

Physical Examination Report - USCG form is included in your USCG application form, and must be completed within the past 12 months by a Physician, Physician's Assistant, or a Nurse Practitioner.

Three Notarized Character Reference Letters - Recommendation letters from 3 different persons who have knowledge of applicants suitability for duty.

Sea Service Documentation - the applicant's sea service must be documented by each vessel's owner. If applicant documents service on his/her own vessel, some form of proof of ownership must be included. Experience gained before age 13 will not be accepted. At least half of the required service must be obtained after the age of 16. One day of sea service consists of at least 6 hours underway. For all licenses, at least 90 days of sea service must be within the past 3 years.

If you have all that then I would suggest contacting a Sea School for help passing the test.

Steve
    rwilkinsii

--
    08 Jul 2003 11:08 PM
    I had a DUI about 10-15 years ago.. Will that keep me form getting a lic? and do i disclose it on my applicatin? (sp)

Thanks,

Rich    rolleyes
    Steve

--
    09 Jul 2003 01:17 AM

It Probably won't stop you from getting a captain's license.  Generally, if you had one offense, over 1 year ago, you should qualify for your License. To know for sure, file an application to the Coast Guard and provide any information they request. Even if you have had a lot of incidences in your past, as long as they are in the past, it is worth applying and knowing when you will qualify for your license.

Don't hide it.  nono   Be honest and straight-forward on the application.

Steve

CARLYLErosie

--
    27 May 2009 04:48 PM
    DUI boating is also known as drunk boating or boating under the influence. It can happen in an ocean, a river, or a lake. It’s the same as operating a land vehicle with a BAC (blood-alcohol concentration) of .08%. And in California State, it’s a criminal offense.

Section 655 of Harbors and Navigation Code explains this rule in detail. It states that no person shall operate or manipulate an aquaplane, water ski, or similar device while under drug or alcoholic beverage influence. The symptoms include:

*Erratic driving of watercraft
    *Lack of current and visible registration
    *Equipment violations (life preservers, navigation lights)
    *Right-of-way violations
    *Speeding

Upon suspicion, officers may conduct chemical testing (blood or breath), field sobriety tests, and preliminary questioning. Although the defenses or consequences for DUI boating are similar to a regular DUI, they’re not truly identical. However, fines, probations, and jail sentences may still ensue.

One important key fact to note: a DUI boating conviction is “priorable” – this means that if you’re charged with another DUI in the future (the next 10 years), it will be regarded as a second offense. And the consequences for second offenders are usually much harsher than first timers.

----------
    CARLYLE
    ----------
    dui--dui
    CARLA007

--
    27 May 2009 05:02 PM
    thanks carlyle this is very nice .. i like it

you are the awesome comment and very nice article

--------
    CARLA
    --------
    rockymeet

--
    27 May 2009 05:09 PM
    CARLYLE
    great post i like it really are u new member me too add me as a friend thanks for posting :)

Dish Network<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 5/2/2010 6:28:42 PM GMT

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    27 May 2009 08:12 PM
    Gee, a person that knows how to make several aliases and post pats on the back to themselves! Now why didn't I ever think of that! Oh please! LOL

SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island

---
    Active Forums 4.3