criminal records?
Last Post 09 Mar 2006 07:02 PM by sean13. 2 Replies.
Author Messages
trente2429jv

--
30 Aug 2005 04:35 AM
         I'm a recent high school grad and I'm thinking about joining the coast guard.  I'm waiting on the information packet through the mail and I haven't talked to a recruiter yet, but I'm giving it some real thought already.  Anyways, I've racked up quite a tab with the police in my hometown and I'm looking to make a clean break and a fresh start.  I was curious as to whether this would present a problem in enlistment.  I've got a couple of felonies and some drug charges on my record and I don't know if this will prevent me from joining.  I was also curious about the length of time between enlisting with a recruiter and heading to boot camp.  I assume the CG is always looking for recruits so this time would be minimal, but I really don't know for certain.  Thanks for the help, hopefully!   
    ScrubbaDuck

--
    20 Sep 2005 12:38 PM
    Sadly, if you have felonies, it's going to be harder. I have heard that a lot of people have to get psych treatment after drug use. Since you have felonies, you will have to get a wavier. Call your recruiter so you can find out the real deal. Don't let him/her say no right away. There are ways around it. Look all of the forms up at

Http://www.about.com/military/

They have a VERY helpful section on joining up.
    sean13

--
    09 Mar 2006 07:02 PM
    theyre correct above.
    if you have any type of felonies, it can either delay your enlistment, or disqualify you.
    be completely honest with your recruiter and those in the processing center about your felonies.

---
    Active Forums 4.3