USCG Forum
Question about Coastal OUPV endorsement
Last Post 13 Oct 2010 09:24 AM by CaptNick. 3 Replies.
Author Messages
Disco_Stu

--
11 Oct 2010 11:44 AM
    My original (and current) OUPV license has the coastal rating, but my question is if when I go to renew it I do not have any coastal time will they only let me have inland rating, or can I retain the coastal rating becuase of my original sea-time and license?  I moved away from the ocean now but I would like to retain my coastal rating for employment prospects.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    12 Oct 2010 05:31 PM
    As per CFR 46, Part 10 section 227...

(i) The applicant must either—

(A) Present evidence of at least one year of sea service during the past five years;

(B) Pass a comprehensive, open-book exercise covering the general subject matter contained in appropriate sections of subpart (I) of this part;

(C) Complete an approved refresher training course; or

(D) Present evidence of employment in a position closely related to the operation, construction, or repair of vessels (either deck or engineer as appropriate) for at least three years during the past five years. An applicant for a deck license or officer endorsement with this type of employment must also demonstrate knowledge on an applicable Rules of the Road open-book exercise.
    Disco_Stu

--
    13 Oct 2010 07:17 AM
    I haven't ever gone through the renewal process so I figured I would have to complete (A) and (B) together, but according to this, when I go to renew, I can simply take a refresher course and do not have to document sea time?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    13 Oct 2010 09:24 AM
    I believe you are correct. You can just take the refresher course, but you will not receive a raise-in-grade.

I suggest you contact the National Maritime Center.

Phone: 1-888-427-5662
    Help Request: http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/contact_iasknmc.asp

---
    Active Forums 4.3