Moving, Residency and education for spouse q's
Last Post 29 Dec 2011 11:30 PM by Gears. 6 Replies.
Author Messages
cgfiance6600

--
22 Dec 2011 06:16 PM

My fiance is in boot camp right now and when gets out we have plans to get married. I was wondering if he is stationed out of state what all do I need to do?? Do I have to retake a drivers license test? How long do I have to live there to be considered a resident? If I am trying to go to school and lets just say I move to Georgia, and I go to a college in Georgia. Will I still be considered out of state because I haven't lived there for X amount of time?? Any help or anything about school residency or what I need to do PLEASE help! Thanks in advance!

jmwez

--
    23 Dec 2011 05:18 PM
    Most colleges that I have checked with in the past will waive the residency requirements if you are military. As long as you are married to your military spouse you should not have any problems. Make sure to check with the colleges when you get to your new station. As far as drivers licenses go; you should not have to retake the test at all. Just the vision part of it. I usually get my drivers license online..much faster and cheaper fees. Hope this helps.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    23 Dec 2011 09:04 PM
    subscribing so i can see the answer.
    m0ngoos3

--
    29 Dec 2011 03:02 PM
    My husband and I were married before I went to bootcamp, but from my understanding, because you were not married before he joined, you will not be eligible to claim residency in your home state or waivers from colleges' out of state fees.
    cgfiance6600

--
    29 Dec 2011 07:55 PM
    So since I didn't marry him before I can't claim my state as residency? Even though I am still his dependent??
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Dec 2011 10:10 PM
    I think you have to live there for a year to claim residency. I don't think you can move in today and claim residency for tuition at state colleges tomorrow. The easiest way to find out is ask the college. They'll be able to tell you if they have special rules pertaining to military members and transfers. Just the same as contacting a recruiter... Hope for the best answer, prepare for the worst. Good luck!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    29 Dec 2011 11:30 PM
    I'd have to do some looking, but if I'm not mistaken the 1st Lady helped to institute a program where military spouses can retain their state residency for their home of record for the duration of the enlistment of the spouse. You may want to look into that.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee

---
    Active Forums 4.3