Caring for a nephew
Last Post 12 Jun 2017 03:08 PM by Old Guard2. 3 Replies.
Author Messages
MKmommy

--
09 Jun 2017 12:25 AM
    I am stationed in Alaska with my husband. Our nephew is two years old and lives in Virginia. There's been a lot of issues coming up with his daddy and his dad is basically in no position to take care of the child. The mother also is not capable of caring for the child. There's a good chance that my husband and I may need to or decide to if at all possible take him into our home. With being in Alaska and needing prime remote tricare, does anyone know if we take our nephew in, will he need to have coverage as well and would tricare cover him since hes not legally ours? Since we essentially would be the guardians for him and providing all the care, would we get extra cola or stay the same? Is something like this even possible? I know there are a lot of logistics to this, even getting the kid here in the first place.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    09 Jun 2017 09:29 AM
    If the parents can't take care of the child then the best thing to do is go to court and get custody of him. Without a court order granting custody then I don't think the child can be enrolled in Tricare. Sound like you are doing the right thing. Are both parents willing to give up custody?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    10 Jun 2017 03:54 AM
    The only way is to adopt him. He has to be a dependant to get enrolled into deers.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Jun 2017 03:08 PM
    You will not get extra COLA even if you do adopt him. COLA is either single or with dependents. Since you are married you already get COLA with dependents. Best of luck. That's truly the love of an aunt and uncle.
    Sector NY, Staten Island

---
    Active Forums 4.3