Eligibility Issues
Last Post 14 Sep 2016 06:10 PM by AirDale13. 5 Replies.
Author Messages
SBRAV12

--
12 Sep 2016 08:10 PM
    <!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 unctuationKerning/> false false false oNotPromoteQF/> EN-US X-NONE X-NONE ontGrowAutofit/> ontVertAlignCellWithSp/> ontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> ontVertAlignInTxbx/> Good Afternoon,

I am making this post because I am in need of some guidance and advice. To begin with, the issue I have is that in high school, I used marijuana approximately 40 times. I am not attempting to make excuses for this behavior.

I have attempted to enlist in the Marine Corps, the Army, and Army National Guard. All recruiters for these branches of the service informed me that I would not make it through MEPS unless I lied about my marijuana use. I am unwilling to do this, as I plan on pursuing a career in law enforcement after my enlistment and/or education.

Since the other branches of the service advised me that I would not make it through, I researched enlistment with the Coast Guard, which I had not considered before. It looked like an outstanding opportunity and a very fulfilling experience. I read that the Coast Guard is taking a lot of recruits at this time due to an increased budget, and that they also considered the whole person when determining an applicant’s suitability, so I hoped that the recruiter would consider the years it has been since I used marijuana.

I was once again truthful on my application, and informed the recruiter that my best estimate regarding the total number of marijuana uses was 40. I was somewhat crestfallen when the recruiter advised me to ‘guess lower’ when I got to MEPS.

I apologize for the long read, but I just have to ask if I am the crazy one here, and whether or not everyone else lies on their paperwork? I take pride in my integrity, and my clean record as far as any other issues other than prior marijuana use goes. I know that my prior marijuana use will be an obstacle to overcome while seeking a career in civilian law enforcement, but I believe that lying on my enlistment paperwork would prove a fatal mistake for my career goals, as I most definitely will not lie to gain employment as a police officer. Bearing this in mind, should I even bother going to MEPS, or will I be shown the door with a permanent disqualification?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, any advice or guidance is more than welcome regarding this issue.

<!--[if gte mso 9]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:8.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:107%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style>
    blaneypark

--
    13 Sep 2016 05:57 AM
    The CG doesn't want or need Liers. If the other services said no than a CG recruiter would say NO.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 Sep 2016 09:35 AM
    The CG also likes people that can spell Liars but that's ok. Obviously this CG recruiter did not say no because he is telling what to say at MEPS. So Blaney, while I might not agree with the recruiter to lie, the recruiter seems to want to take the chance.

To the OP - The problem you are going to run into is this... 40 times can be seen as a habitual user. That is why it is typically disqualifying. Your recruiter, while I don't know that I necessarily agree with it, is attempting to get you a chance by saying "just go with a lower number". You may have shown yourself to this recruiter to be worth the shot. So to get you that shot, say maybe 15 times. I get you want to be honest, I appreciate that. Your actions have consequences, as you have already experienced with the Army & the Marines. The CG stops drugs. They don't want/need habitual users that might try to smoke the marijuana they just seized. I'm not suggesting you would, but you get my drift. So I don't know... Follow your recruiters advice??
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    blaneypark

--
    13 Sep 2016 05:38 PM
    OMG, OG2 I misspelled a word. In my 22.5 years in the CG I have misspeled many a word. During my four years as a CG recruiter ( recruiter of the year in the Ninth District) he would have been done soon as he told me he was a user. I can see you don't like my truth some times as you have deleted other posts I have made . Take it or leave it never have and never will sugar coat anything.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Sep 2016 07:15 AM
    Recruiters are human and each will make their own personal decisions as far as people. Just because you say you would turn him away, he obviously has a recruiter that is willing to work with him. So you can't say all recruiters will say no. That isn't true. And as far as the misspell, I have done it myself. I attempt my best to proofread and correct where necessary. If I'm going to tout myself as some sort of expert, which I do not on this forum, I like to sound professional and correct. I also deleted your triple post. I think once is probably enough, don't you?
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    14 Sep 2016 06:10 PM
    I dont really like whats going on with this situation. The recruiter should have DQd you but he didn't. Now I really do not see MEPS DQing you if you say you used over 40 times, but who knows. I don't know because anyone that used this many times was DQd. The CG has enough problems with people getting into trouble with drugs in their first enlistment and even beyond and a recruiters job is to pick the best candidates. If you were my applicant I would not work with you. If I was that recruiters co-worker I would have a long talk with him about their integrity and make sure he brought the situation to the recruiter in charge to explore your situation and if maybe there is something they see in you to give you the chance to go to MEPS but being truthful.

---
    Active Forums 4.3