36 yr old wanting to enlist
Last Post 06 Oct 2016 09:16 AM by zack22. 6 Replies.
Author Messages
jfhende

--
01 Oct 2016 06:47 PM
    i have already contacted my nearest recruitment office and faxed them the pre-screen.

My greatest concern is that it's too late and I'm really hoping this pulls  through as I know this is what I am meant to do.  

Does anyone have a similar experience or advice?

I am a college graduate and triathlete. I spent much of my childhood on Long Island sound and the USCG mission fits my aptitudes. Will my age block me?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    01 Oct 2016 08:22 PM
    There's another thread here but you are only able to apply for the reserves, not active duty.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    01 Oct 2016 08:50 PM
    Cut off for AD is 28. As stealthtt24 posted, your only option is the CG Reserve.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    03 Oct 2016 12:43 PM
    This is what I posted to your other comment. If you want to be a cook you MAY have a chance for active. This was a one off opportunity for this guy. See below.

Posted By jfhende on 02 Oct 2016 05:39 AM
    eastcoaster,

Im just wondering how your experience turned out. I am 36 yrs and wanting to enlist. Did you end up going through processing etc? Did you find any other "seasoned" recruits that were able to enter with something like an age waiver?

"We had a 36 year old that got an age waiver approved but he had a culinary degree and had to choose FS (Food Service). Other than that, active duty is a no go at 36; the reserves would be your option."
    jfhende

--
    03 Oct 2016 07:57 PM
    Thanks to all who replied.

I have been communicating with my recruiter and mentioned the reserve only option.

They stated "You are only eligible for Reserves being 36 years of age and not having prior military service. If you do 3 years in the Reserves, you can request to go Active Duty afterward."

Is this true about being able to go active after 3 years? I am also wondering if, as a reservist, I need to live in close proximity to a station.

Again, any insight is greatly appreciated.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    03 Oct 2016 09:49 PM
    You can request to transfer to active duty, but it's in no way guaranteed. There has to be a need for your particular rating. There's also the possbilty that you would have to revert to E3 upon entering AD. As for Reserve assignments, you need to live within the Reasonable Commuting Distance (100 mi/round trip), otherwise you're paying for the costs of the commute. As a junior enlisted member. this can easily eat up your monthly drill pay.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    zack22

--
    06 Oct 2016 09:16 AM
    My recruiter told me the USCG recently raised the age to 32 for AD, that may help you with an age waiver.

---
    Active Forums 4.3