Clarification on the process from civilian to Coast Guardsman
Last Post 11 Oct 2016 01:18 PM by drumbeater. 2 Replies.
Author Messages
DillonHinson

--
09 Oct 2016 10:08 PM
    Hello guys,

I just wanted to clarify the process of going from civilian to Coast Guardsman. I am in the recruiting process right now, and though my recruiter is helpful, I still feel like I don't have a solid grasp on the process. I am a 26-year old college graduate looking to enlist, then hopefully apply for OCS.

Currently, I am waiting to hear back from my recruiter about a date to go to MEPS for both the ASVAB and physical exam. It's been a week since he faxed over my entire package, including medical records, college degree, etc. I should hear back within two weeks, according to my recruiter. Once I get my dates for MEPS, what happens after that? Specifically, when do I sign my actual contract and get a boot camp date? Also, what is the Delayed Entry Program, and what am I expected to do while in the DEP? 

Now when I graduate boot camp, I go to an initial unit that may or may not be what I requested on my dream sheet in boot camp. And I am at that unit for an initial 4 months, correct? After that, I can put my name on an A-School wait list? Are there any requirements that I need to meet prior to getting on a wait list, like any qualifications I have to meet at my initial unit? I am aiming to go to AST school, so will my command at my first unit be responsible for screening me for AST school?

Thank you all for you help! As I mentioned, I am in the recruitment process now, so I know things will eventually happen and my recruiter will guide me along, but I'd just like to go into this with a better understanding of the road ahead.

Dillon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    10 Oct 2016 06:10 AM
    Good day. Have you looked at the AST PT requirements? If not then you should so you can prepare to meet them. You will be sent to a unit as a non rate. To get your name on the A school list you must complete the qualifications of the unit and be endorsed by your command then you can put your name on the list. After that you wait.
    drumbeater

--
    11 Oct 2016 01:18 PM
    My son first met with recruiter on May 10. Did ASVAB and MEPS on June 6. Got scores and qualification back in about 2 weeks. Took another 30 days to receive and complete paperwork and online security clearance. Clearance approved on July 8th. Swore in a couple days after that on a Sunday. The he waited 60-70 days until he shipped out on September 20th. It seems like he went back to sign the contracts in late August or early September, but I cant find that text between us. I guess we were actually talking in person, LOL.

He also went back the week before he left and rans laps, did pushups and sit ups to show he could meet the entry minimums. We had a personal trainer for him for two months and he got 165% on the physical test. I highly recommend doing this unless you're already in really good shape. One less thing to worry about.

Still waiting to see what happens after boot camp, so I cant help with the other questions yet.

---
    Active Forums 4.3