Medical waiver?
Last Post 15 Nov 2016 02:40 PM by arkhael247. 4 Replies.
Author Messages
arkhael247

--
08 Nov 2016 09:14 PM

Hi,

So I was recently at MEPS and was told that I'll probably have to get a waiver for a hearing loss in my left ear. I retested the same day and did slightly better, but still did not hit the threshold for the requirements in the one ear. (I scored perfectly for my right ear)

I don't have any difficutlties hearing in everyday life, did fine in school, etc. and indicated prior that I have a hearing loss in my left ear. The MEPS station doctors/coast guard liason seemed to think I should be able to go through the waiver process. However, my recruiter seemed to be more pessimistic, thinking it might would completely disqualify me, that I won't be eligible for a waiver at all. (still waiting on my recruiter to review my full results)

A little background: I have a 99 asvab score, was valedictorian/summa cum laude in college. Scored very high on SAT/ACT. Speak a not too common foreign language (which I obviously had to have had good hearing to learn). Have part of a master's degree and bachelor's degree. I am otherwise in great physical shape. I have a variety of other accomplishments as well. I was planning to go officer at some point, but since I am nearing the age limit, I wanted to go ahead and enlist, and submit my officer package later. I am also wanting to go for the MK rate, which I read requires normal color vision, but does not require normal hearing?

My question is:
    How probable is it that I will actually be able to submit a waiver request? MEPS seemed to think I would be able to, however, it seems as if my recruiter will be the one to have the ultimate say. Any reason to think my recruiter might end my recruitment right then and there? 

Thank you!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    08 Nov 2016 10:39 PM
    A simple question have you been to a ear doctor recently? Could you have a slight build up ofcrud in that ear that is making a problem worse.
    arkhael247

--
    09 Nov 2016 09:58 AM
    No, was not informed that I should have before MEPS, have a known history of hearing loss in one ear. They cleaned out my ear at meps before retesting.

But of course would be willing to try anything.
    DillonHinson

--
    12 Nov 2016 08:52 PM
    This may or may not be relevant to your situation, but I just recently went to MEPS and I nearly failed my hearing test because, and this sounds silly but it's true, I did not know how to take the test. The Navy person administering the hearing test did not inform us that when you must click the clicker as soon as you hear the first tone. In my test, there were three "beeps" in a row and in rapid succession, and I incorrectly assumed that all three beeps represented a single "sound", and so I clicked the clicker after the third beep. In reality, you are supposed to click it as soon as you hear the first beep, and when you do, there will be no more beeps until after the pause that follows each tone. When I had the one-on-one with the MEPS doc, she was so surprised at my low numbers on the hearing test that she checked my ears and said they were in excellent shape and ordered a retest, which I passed after clarifying what I was supposed to do. So long story short, I have excellent hearing, but failed the exam because I wasn't properly instructed.
    arkhael247

--
    15 Nov 2016 02:40 PM
    Posted By DillonHinson on 12 Nov 2016 09:52 PM
    This may or may not be relevant to your situation, but I just recently went to MEPS and I nearly failed my hearing test because, and this sounds silly but it's true, I did not know how to take the test. The Navy person administering the hearing test did not inform us that when you must click the clicker as soon as you hear the first tone. In my test, there were three "beeps" in a row and in rapid succession, and I incorrectly assumed that all three beeps represented a single "sound", and so I clicked the clicker after the third beep. In reality, you are supposed to click it as soon as you hear the first beep, and when you do, there will be no more beeps until after the pause that follows each tone. When I had the one-on-one with the MEPS doc, she was so surprised at my low numbers on the hearing test that she checked my ears and said they were in excellent shape and ordered a retest, which I passed after clarifying what I was supposed to do. So long story short, I have excellent hearing, but failed the exam because I wasn't properly instructed.

^I didn't know this. I remember waiting several times to make sure I heard the beep. Wasn't really in a hurry to press it.

---
    Active Forums 4.3