USCG Forum
Any chance the waiver will get me in?
Last Post 20 Apr 2019 09:31 AM by nengland. 3 Replies.
Author Messages
tallguy77

--
12 Apr 2019 07:41 PM
    I decided I wanted to join the Coast Guard and filled out the questionnaire. I got a phone call today and he asked me about some of the things on the questionnaire. He wanted to know what my education situation was because it was confusing on the questionnaire; I have a B.S. in Mathematics and I want to eventually go back to school to get a Masters in Medieval History. Currently taking classes at Community College and making money as a delivery driver. He wanted to know about my piercings; I have 9 piercings, all of which are standard size (not gauge) and removable. He also asked me about my criminal record. I told him that I was charged twice in 2014 with Marijuana possession but completed a diversion program and have been clean since (all of which i disclosed on the questionnaire). He didn't mention anything about DQ until he asked me about the tickets/violations; there were 10 listed. These are minor traffic, parking and skateboarding on the sidewalk downtown tickets, all in the last 4 years (since 2015). At first he told me that this could be a DQ considering the sheer volume. After some consideration though he said that I could be accepted with a waiver or wait time. We agreed to meet in person next week. I'm excited for an opportunity to serve in the CG. I am a 27 year old surfer from Oregon; ever since I started surfing, i've been interested in a career in the CG working in Maritime Enforcement or as a Boatswain. After my short career as a Math teacher tanked, I decided I at least needed to give it a shot. I have not taken MEPS or ASVAB. I was wondering if theres any possibility in a successful waiver? Any thoughts?
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    13 Apr 2019 11:58 AM
    10 tickets in four years? That's more than some people get in a lifetime. There's no way anyone here will know if a waiver will be successful. Look at it this way, if the recruiter has the choice between two applicants, both equally qualified, but one needs a waiver, who do you think they'll select. The CG gets far more applicants than they have positions for. They can afford to be selective.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    tallguy77

--
    13 Apr 2019 01:50 PM
    Fair enough. So would a good strategy be to make myself more qualified? Like I said, I have a B.S. Mathematics with 3.4 GPA; based off the conversation I had with the first recruiter I talked to, it sounds like STEM degrees are more desirable. I will have to study hard for ASVAB, learn more about job positions and make a good impression at the interview. Thats about all I can do and then hope for the best. Also have to stay out of trouble; I did not ever think that getting minor tickets would ever be of any detriment.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    nengland

--
    20 Apr 2019 09:31 AM
    In my experience persistence and enthusiasm are usually rewarded in the CG. Keep at it.

It might also be worth checking your recruiter's math. Traffic and non-traffic offenses are counted separately. Minor traffic offenses only go back 2 years and minor non-traffic offenses go back only 3 years. Check out PDF page 117 for "Basic Character Standards" in the recruiting manual as a reference:

https://media.defense.gov/2018/May/16/2001917927/-1/-1/0/CIM_1100_2F.PDF

---
    Active Forums 4.3