Intro for an Aged Noob
Last Post 20 Aug 2019 04:51 PM by SpiralOut46. 7 Replies.
Author Messages
SpiralOut46

--
17 Aug 2019 04:43 PM
    Hello all:

I just passed the PT test with my recruiter yesterday and he's working on a date for me, so I figured I'd start hammering out questions that he hasn't really been helpful with.  Don't get me wrong, he's a great guy, but I told him I have to get some razors and get used to straight blades again because I've been using an electric for about 10 or 15 years: he seemed confused as to why I wouldn't be able to use my electric razor at boot camp -_-  Been eying this forum for a while, but I've just been trying to focus on my PT that I didn't want to distract myself with anything else.  Now, I need to focus on the damn Helmsman as much as I can.  I'm gonna stand out at boot camp enough as it is, don't need to give 'em more of a reason to lay it on.

I'm 31 years old and have a bachelor's degree in Music.  Might as well be Art History with the help it's gotten me over the years, but it'll help me get the bump to E-3, so I'm ok with that.  I was looking at IT for a bit, but A schools are packed and ET has a 10G bonus.  I currently work in IT at a HelpDesk and I think I'll be ok passing on the IT gig.  I'd rather be soldering things and ripping them apart than restarting Windows anyway...  "Hello: IT - Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Originally from NY, but moved to FL with my wife a few years ago and I drive 2.5 hours to Tampa for any USCG related items even though the Orlando office is about 40 minutes away.  When I called the Orlando office they told me I was "too old".  I hate apathy worse than ignorance, so I try to tell myself he just didn't know...

Anyway, looking forward to learning some things and meeting some peeps.

SpiralOut/KeepGoing,

-Ryan
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    17 Aug 2019 06:44 PM
    Glad to have you here. In boot camp you will not get to use an electric razor but I highly recommend getting good disposable razors for boot camp, the ones they issue to you are terrible. Your degree will indeed get your E3, it's not much more pay but every bit helps. You seem to have a good understanding of the difference between ET and IT so that's good. For boot camp make sure you can pass the PT test, so many people get discharged or put in a hold status until they pass. The other thing is if you are overweight make sure you can pass the tape test, there are always people who get sent home the first week because they arent within weight standards. Study the helmsman and know it by heart, be prepared to recite any and all information from that book under extreme stress. Also be aware that any A School bonus is paid after you graduate A School not bootcamp. Good luck at Cape May, let me know if you have any questions.
    SpiralOut46

--
    18 Aug 2019 09:36 AM
    Hey thanks jdhusker,

Would you recommend stocking up on 8+ weeks worth of those quality disposables? I feel like there isn't much storage space in Cape May, but I would rather not run out and get stuck with what I assume are those 2 blade orange BIC disposables (which are indeed quite awful).

I figured I had to wait for the bonus, but I also kind of thought it would be incremental. Are those bonuses lump sums? On a similar note: the more research I do, the more I'm thinking my initial thought process is flawed (this may be a question best left to another thread). I want to be prepared for when I come out; if I stay my 20 years then fine, but I want to be set up with the right career development regardless of how long I stay AD. I thought I'd be able to use ET experience to work towards a Journeyman Electrician License, but as I dive deeper I'm seeing that the EM would accomplish that more accurately. I want to stress again: I'm not going into this with my mind already set on getting out. I just want to be fully prepared. I don't want to mortgage any future opportunities for 10K.

In addition, regardless of the bonus, A school straight from boot seems like a good avenue. I wouldn't mind swabbing the deck and cleaning the heads while seeing the world as a non-rate, but my wife is due with our first in March and I'd rather be around as much as I can. I understand that there are only so many Operational Ashore opportunities: I know what I'm getting myself into. I have the impression that CGRC will have an easier time sending someone to a small boat station if they have a set rate. (Do they even have ETs at small boat stations?) I feel like I'm talking in circles/rambling here, but my bottom line point is this: I'm doing this to provide for my family, but I'd also like to physically be there as much as possible. Perhaps waiting for EM or IT A school and spending a year or so (mostly) underway, will help quell all my concern; both about my future and being there for my family.

Thanks for your time.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    18 Aug 2019 11:48 AM
    Are you going into the Reserves? Unless things have changed, cut off for AD is 28. Reservists can go up to 39, depending on the enlistment program they're coming in through
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    SpiralOut46

--
    18 Aug 2019 03:57 PM
    Things must've changed. I've been told 32 by several people, although I've been told I'm too old by some people as well (albeit less people have said "too old"). Maybe it's my bachelor's degree? Either way, I suppose I'll find out for sure when my recruiter contacts me about my ship date. If AD doesn't work out, I'll probably go Reserves. Thing that sucks about that though is I'm not really anywhere near any kind of station; I'll be driving a ways.

Any pointers on any of my other concerns CPORJM?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    19 Aug 2019 06:39 AM
    Are you getting a guaranteed ET A School date? That is what will up your age to 32. Without a guaranteed A School, the cut off is 28 for active duty. If they're offering a $10G bonus, my guess is they're offering boot to a option as well for ET. (I kinda skimmed back and I do believe you reference boot to a... so you are good on the age thing)
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    19 Aug 2019 12:47 PM
    I think the max enlistment age has gone up, gocoastguard.com says 31 years old is the max.

EM vs ET. EM will teach you how to work with electricity and wiring. ET will teach you how complex computer systems, radars and weapons systems work.

I brought Gillette's mach 3 razors in boot camp because they have cartridge packs you can buy at the exchange on base. I cant remember how many I brought with to boot camp.

Bonuses are paid in lump sum, direct deposited to your bank account and taxed at 28 percent.
    SpiralOut46

--
    20 Aug 2019 04:51 PM
    Thanks jdhusker

Your directness is extremely appreciated.

---
    Active Forums 4.3