Hi Everyone!
Last Post 22 Sep 2009 07:12 PM by MrsBuckHijo. 8 Replies.
Author Messages
mdoss

--
20 Sep 2009 10:22 PM
    Hi, my name is Morgan and I'm 18 years old. I'm pretty set on joining the Coast Guard. My brother is in Boot Camp right now with Foxtrot 182. I will be taking the ASVAB in a few weeks. So I will see what happens after that.
       I was wondering if there are any girls who have been through Boot Camp would mind sharing how boot camp was, what to expect, etc..
      This may seem like a stupid question, but I've heard that girls aren't allowed to shave there legs during Boot Camp? ha And I was wondering if that was true?

Thanks so much!!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TXCG09

--
    20 Sep 2009 11:08 PM
    Haha hello Morgan welcome to the board here. I am pretty new to this too but, in the little time I have been here there are a lot of people that are willing to help out. I am active duty CG now and a male so..with your question about the shaving of legs I can't help ya haha. Congrats on deciding to join the CG is well worth joining, I have been in for 2 years and love it. What rate are you planning on going??

MST3 Suggs

MST3 Suggs
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    20 Sep 2009 11:16 PM
    I think MandieC is your best shot at a female boot camp graduate that is actively posting these days.

Past post about shaving and such.
    mdoss

--
    20 Sep 2009 11:45 PM
    I'm leaning mostly towards FS. What are somethings you do in MST?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TXCG09

--
    21 Sep 2009 12:34 AM
    MST's investigate pollution spills, inspect foreign and domestic ships, inspect shoreside facilities, and other things it just depends what type of unit you go to. I got out of A school in April so I haven't been an MST for too long.

MST3 Suggs

MST3 Suggs
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ltate

--
    21 Sep 2009 03:21 PM
    Hey Morgan, Welcome to the board. Two of my daughters went to Cape May for basic training. I asked one of them about the leg shaving thing. Yes you can do that but she said they never really had time. There were a couple girls in her company who tried to shave in the shower but they barely had 10 minutes....15 minutes tops....to undress, shower and then dress again so most of the women didn't even bother. She made it sound like it was more of a hassle than anything else to try and shave so she and the majority of the females in her company just got to the point where they didn't really care what their legs looked like. : ) Anyway, as Bill said, Mandie occasionally stops by and she might be able to give you more info about what it's like up there. And if I can answer any questions, I'll try and help, too. Good luck to you and your brother!!

Laurie

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 9/21/2009 9:24:33 AM GMT

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    jkribell

--
    21 Sep 2009 04:38 PM
    My daughter said the same thing - they all looked like Chewbacca as there really was not enough time. Luckily this was also in the winter where they were totally covered from head to toe all the time. That seemed to be the first thing they all did on their off base liberty. Everyone hit the shower for a loooong hot shower and to shave their legs! Good luck - the CG seems to be a great carreer for both men and women!!

Proud Mom of FS3 Kribell, Heather
    USCGC Hamilton - San Diego 

Lucky to live in Hawaii - Mom to FS3Kribell, USCGC Hamilton, San Diego
    mdoss

--
    21 Sep 2009 04:42 PM
    Thank you both for the information!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MrsBuckHijo

--
    22 Sep 2009 07:12 PM
    welcome! my husband is in foxtrot 182 also!

Wife of SR Joshua Buckson
    Currently in boot camp-F182
    Mom of Aubrey Maddox, our little bun in the oven
    Soon to be moving to Josh's first station in Charleston, SC

Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

You go Glen Coco.

---
    Active Forums 4.3