Possible future small boats
Last Post 22 Feb 2012 07:17 PM by CaptNick. 5 Replies.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
NargilFenris

--
16 Feb 2012 07:11 AM
    http://autos.yahoo.com/news/the-ult...rucks.html
    Saw this article and it made me think of the possibilities for future small boats.
    If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
    Mad_Miller20

--
    16 Feb 2012 12:24 PM
    I think that their is a bright future for small boats. Do you think that this would be helpful to the coast guard? What advantages would they provide?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    NargilFenris

--
    16 Feb 2012 06:43 PM
    Well for stations that have to trailer their boats to get to a location quickly I could see this as being a faster alternative as you wouldn't have to load and trailer your boat and then unload at the site. It wouldn't be the fastest rescue boat but the time you would save getting to the water might make up for it.
    Downside is I am sure there would be a lot of maintenance involved with one of these. That and what sea state these are rated for.
    If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    17 Feb 2012 12:23 AM
    Amphibious vehicles like this have been around for a while, and the military has used them before. There must be a reason somewhere why they aren't used often, and the CG doesn't have them. But I think they would be useful in flooding situations. I highly doubt they would ever be used on open water.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    NargilFenris

--
    17 Feb 2012 11:03 AM
    Yeah I am sure there are good reasons they are used more. Main reason I can think of why they aren't used more is sea worthiness and maintance. Would love to hear a BM or MKs take on these.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    22 Feb 2012 07:17 PM
    Looks like morale booster for BM's and a nightmare for MK's. I could only imagine what the PQS would look like for that, yikes...

---
    Active Forums 4.3