CG Budget FY 2013 and Impact
Last Post 20 Apr 2012 07:51 AM by eaw913. 12 Replies.
Author Messages
prior2012

--
16 Apr 2012 08:30 PM
    I've been reading about the proposed budget for DHS in FY 2013 and the impact it will have on the CG.  The cut will be to the tune of $600 million. Some reports indicate the CG will shrink by about 1000 personnel by way of attrition. The articles below are a few weeks old, but they go into detail.

http://www.hstoday.us/briefings/daily-news-briefings/single-article/coast-guard-faces-challenging-balancing-act-with-fy-2013-budget-commandant-says/4ffef033a24a3ee9dbe52886e12a5e57.html

Also, I found a more recent article today which discusses the impact on recruiting this year and next:

Coast Guard cuts will close 23 recruiting offices

Budget cuts likely will make it harder for those who want to join the Coast Guard to find a recruiting office.

The Coast Guard's proposed fiscal 2013 budget reduces the recruiting program by $9.8 million; the service will eliminate 76 billets and close five recruiting offices this year, and close 18 more offices in 2013, said Chief Warrant Officer 4 Adam Wine, who works in the advertising division of Coast Guard Recruiting Command.

"Even before the closings, we only ever had 85 offices," he said.

"But we've done quite well as far as bringing people in and maintaining the need of the service," he said. "We usually have far more applicants coming in than what we ever take, so it's a lot about selectivity and choosing the best people."

Recruiting offices closing in 2012 are in Birmingham, Ala.; Pittsburgh; Guam; Milwaukee; and Spokane, Wash.

EDIT: Just realized this probably belongs under News and Events Forum

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    16 Apr 2012 08:38 PM
    Just the harsh reality. As tough as its been to join in recent years, it will only get tougher. My standards were already high, but I will probably reevaluate and set the bar higher. It stinks for those that won't get in, but it will be good for the overall quality of the CG's workforce.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bahchic

--
    16 Apr 2012 08:49 PM
    Now people will be nonrates longer since the CG is sending less people through "A" school and less recruiting. I'm at Tracen Petaluma and we just got message that they are changing our duties from 1 in 5 to 1-4 due to less classes coming in. Budget cuts will definitely be felt all around.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    16 Apr 2012 11:40 PM
    try a one in 4 per day. minimally manned unit.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    NargilFenris

--
    17 Apr 2012 07:22 AM
    Posted By Bahchic on 16 Apr 2012 09:49 PM
    Now people will be nonrates longer since the CG is sending less people through "A" school and less recruiting. I'm at Tracen Petaluma and we just got message that they are changing our duties from 1 in 5 to 1-4 due to less classes coming in. Budget cuts will definitely be felt all around.
    I hope Petaluma isn't your first unit because the duty there was kind of a joke. Not trying to be rude but like Bells said try 1 in 4 on a minimally manned crew.
    If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    17 Apr 2012 03:31 PM
    1 in 4 underway but what are you at the pier?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bahchic

--
    17 Apr 2012 06:28 PM
    In my post I was just stating that the duty rotations were changing due to less recruiting, budget cuts. I've been in for 2.5 years at a minimally manned unit as well.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    17 Apr 2012 08:31 PM
    I believe the phrase is "optimally" manned lol.
    prior2012

--
    17 Apr 2012 09:27 PM
    Posted By Cooch on 16 Apr 2012 09:38 PM
    Just the harsh reality. As tough as its been to join in recent years, it will only get tougher. My standards were already high, but I will probably reevaluate and set the bar higher. It stinks for those that won't get in, but it will be good for the overall quality of the CG's workforce.

Cooch,

Is it possible that these cuts will affect the needs assessment and anticipated numbers for the panels (eg, CGRC 05-12) already scheduled this fiscal year? Or is that unlikely in your experience, given that cuts have been happening the past few years already?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    18 Apr 2012 06:09 PM
    It's possible. It looks like the CSPI program had fewer selectees this year than in previous years, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to the other programs. Having said that, there won't be an AVCAD board along with a few other boards next year. There's no word if or when the programs will return.
    prior2012

--
    19 Apr 2012 08:06 PM
    Damn, and I was already nervous for this panel. As you say, all indicators point to tougher competition. If I don't make it on this panel for FY 2012, I better learn to leap tall buildings in a single bound if I want to compete for the FY 2013 panel.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    20 Apr 2012 04:05 AM
    lol optiminally manned. Inport, since we are a optiminally manned unit, we don't have a typical duty rotation like most boats. Everyone does both engineering and quarterdeck watch, so two watches a day, double 8-12s double mids or double greats.

So we stand about a 1 in 10 right now... lol I know its fat, but we are augmented everyday for the fire party, so one day of duty turns into about a day and then the next going into 1300 to 1700 at night, when ever hot work is done or fuel transfers.... They tried having 9 man duty sections but District 13 shut it down because we would be in about a 1 in 4. Personally I would rather have a 36 hour duty day every 10 days than a 24 hour one every 4.

I love mpcms for this reason.

Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    eaw913

--
    20 Apr 2012 07:51 AM
    Looks like I got into CSPI just in time, Cooch.

---
    Active Forums 4.3