NY Ferry Crashes into Dock
Last Post 09 Jan 2013 11:48 AM by CGNY2013. 4 Replies.
Author Messages
CGNY2013

--
09 Jan 2013 10:22 AM
    I was at the gym this morning and watched this story unfold. A 140 foot ferry from NJ to NY carrying approximately 360 passengers and crew crashed into the dock tearing about 6 feet from the starboard bow. 57 injured, two critical. From the reports, it didn't seem as thought he Captain was in high speed and or reckless. Perhaps a nasty current and wind?? I was excited to see that within about 20-30 minutes, three CG boats were on scene. Reports stated the CG was to perform standard alcohol and drug testing on the Captain. It looked as though they were performing a security perimeter around the ferry as well.

Semper Paratus! 
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." C. S. Lewis
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Jan 2013 10:36 AM
    I'll bet before you thought about joining reserves you never would have really noticed the CG on site. Right? It's amazing how many places we actually show up when you start looking.

I haven't seen any pictures of the ferry but I'll watch the news tonight, I'm sure it will be covered. I remember when the Staten Island ferry rammed the pier. 9/11 the CG helping people evacuate lower Manhattan, when the plane with Captain Sullenberger went down in the East or Hudson River (I can't remember which)... Coasties were on scene for all of that and more.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    CGNY2013

--
    09 Jan 2013 10:45 AM
    I am actually really involved in the CG Aux so I've been keeping an eye on you guys for sometime now.  But yes, prior to that I would most likely not have noticed. LOL  Actually, that's the reason I was glued to the 4 TVs at the gym covering it. Kept looking to see the CG arrive on scene.   

They we're very impressive maneuvering the boats together and had a great presence. Most people don't realize the waters in NY are quite hard to navigate and they make it look effortless. I actually navigated up the East River and took my 38' Egg Harbor around from Oceanside to Port Jefferson last Spring and boy was that a challenge. LOL - Lot's of white knucking going on!!!!! 
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." C. S. Lewis
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Jan 2013 10:50 AM
    I grew up in NJ. My ex-mother-in-law lives in Forked River, NJ. I've gone out with her and my father-in-law many times on their boats around Barnegat and out into the ocean, up and down the Jersey coast. I've been on my fair share of ferries and water taxis and stuff like that... I love NY. But you are right, people don't get the tides in those rivers! There are some spots, that if you aren't an experienced mariner, could be deadly in a matter of minutes.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    CGNY2013

--
    09 Jan 2013 11:48 AM

---
    Active Forums 4.3