MK-MACHINERY TECHNICIAN
Last Post 28 Jan 2019 11:37 AM by reiss_pieces11. 98 Replies.
Author Messages
chuklesUser is Online
Trusted Member / Administrator
chukles

--
10 Jan 2010 12:06 AM
    MACHINERY TECHNICIAN (MK)

To view a video of this rate, click here.

As one of the Coast Guard's largest ratings, Machinery Technician (MK) offers opportunities for assignment at every Coast Guard cutter, boat, and shore station. MKs are trained not only as technicians, but as managers and leaders --- acquiring a breadth of knowledge in all areas of machinery operation and maintenance from internal combustion engines (gas/diesel gas turbines) to environmental support systems (heating/ventilations/air conditioning), hydraulics, basic electricity, and areas of hazardous material recovery and control. In addition, MKs will learn to work on the Coast Guard's computers and computer-based programs. Many MKs are also called on to act as federal law enforcement officers.

Types of Duty:

Upon advancement, an MK may be assigned as a Shop Supervisor (managing equipment and personnel) or Engineering Petty Officer (responsible for overall management of the unit engineering department, including personnel).

Training Available:

Begin with 12 weeks of training at MK 'A' School in Yorktown, VA, or on-the-job training.

Qualifications:

To be an MK, you must have normal color vision and mechanical aptitude, with average or better ability to solve mathematical problems. Practical experience as a mechanic, machinist, or power plant operator is extremely valuable. School courses in mechanics, machine shop, electricity, and practical math are also desirable.

Related Civilian Jobs:

Auto/Truck Mechanic
    Heavy-Duty Equipment Repair
    Heating, Ventilation, Air-Conditioning
    Shipyard Work - Mechanical

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    chuklesUser is Online
    chukles

--
    10 Jan 2010 12:07 AM
    posted from old MK thread;

Gears
    The cake is a lie...

Date Joined Nov 2009
    Total Posts : 147 Posted 1/1/2010 3:52 PM (GMT -5)
    I am an active duty MK. I have been stationed at a wide variety of units, attended multiple "C" schools, and enjoyed some interesting TAD assignments. Feel free to ask any questions you want.
    "When you fall on your face you are still moving forward."

Rexdriver57
    Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
    Total Posts : 6 Posted 1/7/2010 12:29 PM (GMT -5)
    Gears,

My son is currently an FA assigned to the "A Gang" on a 378, and he likes it very much. He is 99% sure that he wants to go MK, but the DC guys like to try and "recruit" him away. When he joined, he was originally interested in DC. I have a couple of questions that I hope you can shed some light on:

When he graduates A school, will he have much choice as to where he wants to be assigned as an MK?

After A school, are his chances of being assigned to an afloat unit more or less than being assigned to an ashore unit as an MK? About the same? Coin toss?

At this point, he plans on making the CG his career, but you never know. Would you say that the job opportunities in the civilian world are greater for someone with MK training than DC training? I was recently told this by a retired CG officer, just wanted your take on it.

Thanks for your input, I don't have much chance to talk with him these days since he is living on the ship. Take care.

Gears
    The cake is a lie...

Date Joined Nov 2009
    Total Posts : 147 Posted 1/7/2010 4:52 PM (GMT -5)
    Rex,

I started out as an FA on a 270' in Main Prop, I was successfully recruited by the MKs.

At "A" school they will receive a list of open billets, one for each person in the class. 20 people 20 billets. I don't know how the selections for those billets are made. When I was in "A" school we had large cutters, river tenders, stations, support teams. The class after us had almost all stations. So, it's a roll of the dice.

What choice he has depends on how the school divies up those billets. Some classes do it by assignment priority, and some do it by class ranking.

The job opportunities really depend on what he wants to do on the outside. If he wants to get into NAV ENG, small engine repair, marine mechanics, AC&R, MK for sure. If he is interested in becoming a fire fighter, welder, wants to build his own Ark (don't laugh I've seen it) DC for sure.

I don't know what all of the opportunites are for "C" schools for DCs, a DC on board his unit can fill him in. But, there are a whole bunch for us. I have personally been to Caterpillar 3304, Fairbanks Morse Opposed Piston Engine, MTU Diesel Engine, Honda Outboard, Advanced Hydraulics, AC&R, Engineering Administration, and Centralized Supply school.

On top of all that, there is an MK at every unit in the CG. If he wants variety in his career, this is the best way to do it, IMHO. If you want to go more indepth drop me a PM.

Rexdriver57
    Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
    Total Posts : 6 Posted Yesterday 9:16 AM (GMT -5)
    Thanks Gears, that was great help not only for me, but I assume also for other MK candidates reading this board. My son got his drawings and quals done and passed his board in a little over a month onboard, so I know he is very motivated to stick with MK, and he really likes it a lot.

Thanks again, it's nice for parents as well as CG members to have a place to go and get a straigh answer.

Gears
    The cake is a lie...

Date Joined Nov 2009
    Total Posts : 147 Posted Yesterday 12:3 PM (GMT -5)
    Anytime Rex, I'm always willing to help recruit a future MK. Someone needs to keep those pesky BMs in line.

boatforces
    Trust me. I do this all the time...

Date Joined Nov 2009
    Total Posts : 40 Posted Yesterday 5:05 PM (GMT -5)
    Admit it Gears, an MK's life would be a hollow shell if it wasn't for us "pesky" BM's keeping you guys on your toes. :)
    In the CG you're either a Boatswains Mate or you work for one

Gears
    The cake is a lie...

Date Joined Nov 2009
    Total Posts : 147 Posted Yesterday 5:28 PM (GMT -5)
    This is true Boatforces, we really have a parasitic/symbiotic relationship don't we?

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    AlanM

--
    24 Jun 2010 07:59 PM
    ...I am going through the depot program for basic I am not prior service but do to my age this will be the way to MK school,do be look down at guardians that been through this program?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    24 Jun 2010 08:13 PM
    You're asking if we look down on people who go through Depot? No. Why would we? But, when you get to MK school, respect your classmates who are coming in from the fleet.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    mcmaster68

--
    23 Jul 2010 06:34 AM
    As an MK are you provided w/ your own tools or do you have to buy/supply them? I'm use to the civilian life and you have to travel w/ your tools.
    chuklesUser is Online
    chukles

--
    23 Jul 2010 08:46 AM
    MK's are provided tools.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    23 Jul 2010 11:49 AM
    MK Shops and Engineering Spaces are fully equipped with all of the tools and parts necessary to complete almost any job.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    23 Jul 2010 12:24 PM
    If not, there is always duct tape, WD40 and hammer!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    chuklesUser is Online
    chukles

--
    23 Jul 2010 12:48 PM
    Don't forget the metal close hanger for support.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    23 Jul 2010 01:21 PM
    The MK Creed... If it's broken hit it with a hammer. If it's still broken, find a bigger hammer.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    23 Jul 2010 02:31 PM
    I thought you used a FN to beat it for you.
    mcmaster68

--
    29 Jul 2010 06:36 AM
    Can a MK become qualified as Coxswain or do you have to be a BM?
    Cassie

--
    29 Jul 2010 08:36 AM

Posted By mcmaster68 on 29 Jul 2010 07:36 AM
    Can a MK become qualified as Coxswain or do you have to be a BM?

My husband is an MK3 and is qualified as the Coxswain. Hubby's *correction* Senior Chief said he hasn't seen an MK as a Coxswain on any of the PB's he's been on. So its not impossible, just gotta pursue it and convince, and by convince I mean showing your ability, that you can do it.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    29 Jul 2010 05:07 PM
    Southern,

I prefer to keep my FN available for more important jobs. If I need an expendable tool, I find a BM.

MKs can become Coxn qualified. Cassie is correct, you would have to show the motivation to learn to handle the boat, and figure out how to distract the BMs long enough to get ample time on the throttles. I recommend hiding the coffee. That should keep 'em busy for at least one patrol.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    30 Jul 2010 08:49 AM
    Bm's don't like to let an MK anywhere near the controls, they get everything greasy. Stay belowdeck where they belong. It's also too time-consuming to try to teach them how to read a chart!
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    30 Jul 2010 08:49 PM
    Oh, dear. Snipe discrimination...
    stazzuk

--
    10 Feb 2011 01:45 PM
    Greetings Chuckles and any MK's out there. I have a few questions if u have the time to answer them. I am just curious on how long you had to wait to get into the mk a school? also, how difficult was the training? do you need to me a real math whiz? thank you.
                                                                                                    ~future Guardian
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    14 Feb 2011 06:42 PM
    I had to wait about a year, but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. The training isn't difficult if you pay attention. You don't have to be a math whiz, you just have to have a desire to learn. When you break it down being a good MK is an acquired skill.
    stazzuk

--
    15 Feb 2011 04:36 PM
    Thank you for your insight!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    16 Feb 2011 08:57 PM
    No problem. If you have any other questions just ask.
    Mr.Magic

--
    03 Mar 2011 03:43 PM
    I just graduated boot camp and I'm thinking about striking MK.

Is it possible to earn your engineering licenses while in the Coast Guard and eventually work your way up to the chief engineering license?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    08 Mar 2011 08:42 AM
    Which engineering licenses are you talking about?
    malonebp

--
    25 Apr 2011 05:16 PM
    Hey guys,
    I spoke to my unit over the phone (where I report for the first time on Friday!), and they said that they have suspended their striking program. I wanted to strike MK rather than wait for A school. Do I have to wait for A school, then?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    26 Apr 2011 07:07 AM
    If there is no striking, then waiting is the only option. There isn't another way around that.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    CGMK1

--
    28 Apr 2011 07:07 PM
    MK striking is back or will be soon. You being able to strike has to be approved by the Rating Force Master Chief (RFMC).
    MJAMES

--
    07 Jun 2011 04:52 PM
    Hi I am new to the forum, Just have a question how hard is it to strike MK and do many do it successfully especially the final test.

Thanks for you reply.
    dbarrios

--
    02 Aug 2011 07:49 AM
    My son is presently an MK and he loves it..he has served on a cutter and is now at a station. He has been sent to several schools and has learned alot from all of his training. His wait for A School was a year from when he got into the Coast Guards. The crew that he does boardings with let him drive the boat which he enjoys, being raised in the south and always on a boat fishing or hunting he's not afraid to drive it. BM"S break it, MK'S fix it...
    Rokihunter

--
    23 Oct 2011 07:30 PM
    My son just graduated MK school and is off to MSST 91109 in San Diego. Any advice for him and what he can expect at this unit. He came from Cutter Forward and though it was exciting (First responder to Haiti, digging through dead cow carcuses on vessels in hondoras, 80 million drug bust on a haitian boat and was on a deployment to Africa when he recieved his orders for A school) he is ready for life outside the cutter. I am already planning a trip out there in May. My husband is active duty Army and we have traveled alot, but never to the West Coast. Also, I understand he will get BAH because there is no housing on base for rates. Any suggestions or good advice on finding a place would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Kim

Army wife
    Army Veteran
    Coastie Mom
    Monarch Mom (Methodist University)

TheRiverRabbit

--
    21 Dec 2011 06:34 PM
    Hi guys! My name is Robert and I'm going through the enlistment process for CG Reserve. I'm applying for the MK position here at my local CG station (Humboldt Bay). As I understand it, I will be assigned to a Surf Boat. Do surf boats have strong-swimmer rescuers, and if so can a part-time MK get strong-swimmer certified?
    Thank you!
    Robert
    HawaiiCoastie808

--
    07 Mar 2012 08:33 PM
    Hello,

I am interested in pursuing this rate. I was curious what kind of tasks I would be doing as an MK early in their career. Would I be repairing engines and what not, or would I be doing repair work on other things?

Also, what would I be doing as an MK on a cutter as opposed to a small boat station?

Any responses will be appreciated
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    07 Mar 2012 08:54 PM
    All of the above. I'll let Gears chime in on the differences between land and sea. MK's repair and maintain just about every mechanical object in the Coast Guard. The repair small outboard engines, refrigeration units, large turbine and diesel engines, etc. Their primary focus is to maintain everything properly and timely so that they don't have to make major repairs, but they will do those as well. They are responsible for the fueling of large cutters, which takes several hours to complete. They are easily involved in law enforcement. They can qualify as small boat coxswains. It's a good rating to pursue.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    07 Mar 2012 08:56 PM
    *heavily involved in fueling, not easily. Stupid iPhone autocorrect.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    07 Mar 2012 10:04 PM
    Depending on how big the cutter is too the MKs will be split into two shops, and then also depending on the cutter determines which machinery the two shops focus on. For mine Main Prop does the Main Diesel Engines, the Boilers, the Auxiliary Diesel Generator, Start Air Compressors, ... shaft alleys, ...

A-Gang does the Evaps, all of the ventilation and circulation, all of the fueling for everything (fuel transfers, oily waste stuff, JP5 stuff, hydraulics), all of the water machinery except the boilers, the reefers, the ship service air compressors...so they are TOW qualified, FOWK and small boat engineer, so they work on our small boats too.

As an MK and as you advance you'll need to get pracs for everything, regardless of your shop or current unit (which might be tough at a station). You'll go to a lot of expensive schools...

Its a good time they like their job.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    08 Mar 2012 06:06 AM
    Would I be repairing engines and what not, or would I be doing repair work on other things?

You'll be repairing everything that breaks, maintaining equipment so it doesn't break, and keeping wayward BMs from touching stuff so it doesn't break!

Also, what would I be doing as an MK on a cutter as opposed to a small boat station?

What you do will depend on your unit out of "A" school. If you go to a large cutter as an MK3 you'll be assigned to the Engine Room or Aux spaces. Typically, a brand new 3rd Class wont go to "C" school (there are exceptions. I'm one of them), MKs with more experience tend to go to "C" school for specialized training. However, I have seen MKs who have more time in than me (over 13 years) who have never been to a "C" school. If you go to a Small Boat Station you'll work on all of the Stations boat assets and take care of the surrounding buildings while conducting LE and SAR missions. Odds of going to "C" depends on the size of the unit and the need to send you.

Then you have the oft overlooked Engineering Support Unit which include Naval Engineering Support Units (NESU) and Maintenance Augmentation Teams (MAT). If you're interested in having an opportunity to go to expensive "C" schools and getting some very unique experiences. NESUs and MATs support operational units, usually Cutters, but can encompass just about anything. I spent 3 years on a 140' Ice Breaker MAT in Up State MI. I went to A/C and R schools, Fairbanks Morse Opposed Piston Engine School, Advanced Hydraulics School, and Caterpillar 3306 series school. That just scratches the surface though.
    HawaiiCoastie808

--
    08 Mar 2012 02:09 PM
    Thank you all for your responses, that helps give me a better idea of what I would be doing
    pilotdudeman1

--
    13 Mar 2012 09:06 AM
    can a reservist MK go to maritime enforcement C school? how would i do this?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    14 Mar 2012 01:29 AM
    "and keeping wayward BMs from touching stuff so it doesn't break! "

bahahaha this isn't even true

This is the list of C Schools:

http://www.tracenpetaluma.com/tqc/cschool.asp

To send you to C School you unit would want to spend the money on you. If you are at a PSU and are getting deployed all the time then ya you are going to get some law enforcement training. But if you are at a regular station and you are only coming in once a month then no they are probably not going to want to spend the money from their unit budget to send you to C School.

S.TxEV12

--
    18 May 2012 03:16 PM
    Hello everyone! Are there any female MK's out there that would be whilling to share their experiences and pointers either in DEPOT or "A" School. I would love to learn and know more about it. Any little bit would be greatly appreciated. =o)
    12michaelh

--
    10 Jul 2012 08:31 PM
    Im joining the reserve as an mk in section 11. Can anyone here tell me what I should expect from working as an mk in this area? I love working on machines, but im also interested in getting into law enforcement as a full time career. What do you guys experience the most of? Thanks.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    10 Jul 2012 09:06 PM
    Section 11?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Jul 2012 09:41 PM
    I'm sure that is D11. Not section 11. LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    10 Jul 2012 09:52 PM
    My brain was incapable of deciphering that. Thanks! Lol
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jaycaton

--
    05 Feb 2013 07:46 PM
    After much research, discussion, and several conversations with my recruiter, today I put my name down for an MK spot in Annapolis. (I'm going reserve) It is not the rating I thought I would go for but it turns out to be the one I (will hopefully) enjoy the most. I had been looking at ME but as it turns out they spend a lot of time training and not much at all doing LE. I also peeked at PA but as it turns out they never ever have openings for those. All signs seem to point to BM and MK doing most of the LE work and being out there, on the water, doing those things you see in the video and on TV. As I understand it, there is a BM and MK on almost every boat - large and small.

Before I head off to DEPOT, I am looking for insight as to what the day to day life of an MK is like. The ups and downs. What to expect. And basically, why MK over BM at this point.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    05 Feb 2013 10:04 PM
    As I understand it, there is a BM and MK on almost every boat - large and small.

FTFY.

It depends on the Reserve unit. Your best bet is to ask your Recruiter to arrange for a tour during a drill weekend or ask him to get you in touch with a Reserve MK at the unit.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jaycaton

--
    06 Feb 2013 06:30 PM
    Thanks Gears, will do. (Whats FTFY?)
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jaycaton

--
    06 Feb 2013 06:35 PM
    never mind, 50/50, I got it
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    06 Feb 2013 06:51 PM
    Nope.. Fixed That For Ya.. FTFY.. MKs and BMs are on every cutter and boat in the CG.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jaycaton

--
    06 Feb 2013 07:46 PM
    Gears, I believe you are an MK, while I plan to take your suggestion about visiting the station, what has been your experience with reserve MKs. If I am in Annapolis I will be at a small boat station (One 45 ft. RBM and two 29 ft. RBS II’s). I believe there is a FS, MK, 2 BMs and maybe one other there. The recruiter says I will be busy at that state and my brother (he served 4 years active and is now in the reserves as an ET) had nothing but good things to say about the MKs he know. He seems to think I would like it. That said, I def would want some LE work in addition to 'fixing what the BMs break' as they say ...
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    06 Feb 2013 08:46 PM
    We dont break stuff. It never gets fixed.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    07 Feb 2013 04:22 PM
    I've seen Reserve MKs basically take over on drill weekends, and do scheduled boat maintenance, get underway, do LE, etc. I've also seen the spend drill weekends maintaining qualifications for deployment and nothing else. It all depends on the unit and the CO.

We dont break stuff. It never gets fixed.

It worked before you put your grubby BM hands all over it.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    07 Feb 2013 04:52 PM
    Lolllll it works if its not going anywhereeee
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    07 Feb 2013 04:56 PM
    It would go somewhere if you didn't break it!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    07 Feb 2013 05:06 PM
    Lololol if I had grabbed the impeller and then cut off all of its little wings maliciously, then put it back in its little cup thing/strainer then I'll take responsibity for this last one we just blew!

I really am going to learn more about the engines I wont fail you completely!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    07 Feb 2013 05:10 PM
    I had grabbed the impeller and then cut off all of its little wings maliciously, then put it back in its little cup thing/strainer then I'll take responsibity for this last one we just blew!

Was it a rubber impeller?

really am going to learn more about the engines I wont fail you completely!

I couldn't be more proud of you. But, that's not going to stop me from giving you Hell.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ljcalimano

--
    21 Apr 2013 07:15 PM
    How is MK A school? Is it Monday thru Friday? Or Sunday thru Saturday? How hard is the training? Can my wife visit me over the weekend or thats a no? Thanks!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    21 Apr 2013 10:26 PM
    All A schools are Monday thru Friday unless you have duty. Your wife can visit, but she can't be in the barracks.
    youwilllove

--
    29 Apr 2013 09:27 PM
    I am going to mk a school in3 weeks! Im getting excited and also nervous.  I have been told that it is a lot likd colege but I know it is still the coast guard.  Im kind of clueless whatthe living quarters are like.  Dorms with two each I know.  But like what is that storage space availible to us.  I want to be comfortable but also efficent.  Im a girl and will prolly be one of the few girls that will be there. I dont want to bring too much but I dont want to come empty handed either.  The space availability is really bothering me and would help me a bunch if I knew what to expect.  Someone said they even brought their 40 in flat screen tv....  please hlep me out in what I can expect 

Thanks,  Dar
    youwilllove

--
    29 Apr 2013 10:38 PM
    And also, it is possible to see some pics of the barraks "dorm rooms"?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    30 Apr 2013 03:56 AM
    The rooms are set up for two people. You'll get a sizable storage locker, bring a lock. Make sure you bring a full sea bag, civilian clothes, and whatever entertains you. You won't need a 40 in flat screen. You aren't going to college, it's nothing like going to college. You're going to a military training center. It's not as intense as boot camp, but you are expected to maintain military bearing.

There are lots of females at the TRACEN, I have a few friends there now. You won't be one of the few, you'll be one of the many.
    cgfiance6600

--
    01 May 2013 05:21 PM
    My husband reports to MK a school in less than 2 months and I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what happens week by week. For example, in boot camp everyone was able to let me know by week 5 they know where they will be stationed, by week such and such they have liberty. So does anyone know an idea of when they get to see what is available for open billets to chose from? I understand whoever is top in the class gets first picks and so forth. Just trying to get an idea of when he will get to see whats available and make a dream sheet? Thanks!
    Mickolas2013

--
    18 Jul 2013 01:27 PM
    After the September 2013 and October 2013 classes, the next class convene date is 04NOV14. As in November 2014. Is that a typo, or are they shutting down the MK rating for a while? Seems like a weird move.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    18 Jul 2013 02:14 PM
    It could be a typo. You can request someone from your Chain of Command to contact the office who publishes the list.
    Mickolas2013

--
    18 Jul 2013 02:33 PM
    I brought it to my XO's attention. He told me that if the list says X, then X is probably true. Thank goodness I've been striking for a few months!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    18 Jul 2013 02:36 PM
    It's possible there won't be another MK class until next year. But, that list could change drastically when it gets published next month. How far along are you on striking?
    Mickolas2013

--
    18 Jul 2013 02:50 PM
    Good point. I have completed 20 of 34 RPQ's and need to pass the MK3 test. Was really hoping to use striking as a tool to be ready for A school, but advancement is advancement.
    SRMAUGUE

--
    11 Sep 2013 12:37 AM
    interesting. i am being stationed at station annapolis as a reservist and am going to MK school on sept 23. i am a bit nervous about it though because i dont know much about machinery but i want to go to learn and am hoping this is the way to go. i originally wanted to be a bm.
    brianpmalone11

--
    04 Oct 2013 11:45 AM
    Does anyone have inside word on whether MK A school hands out assignments based on class rank anymore? I have heard that it does, and I have also heard that it now goes by unit priority. Not going to piss and moan if it's one or the other, just want to hear facts instead of rumors. Thanks!
    pstar0912

--
    21 Nov 2013 03:02 PM
    I am currently on the mk A school list and working on striking as well. As my name gets closer on the MK list (as of now I will be going next summer) I am debating on just waiting for school or finishing striking. Any opinions? What can I expect from A school?
    Jessler

--
    23 Nov 2013 02:47 PM
    MK3 just showed up to my unit today, picks go by class rank.
    "The world is not in your maps and books [or smartphones]. It's out there."
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JDMD

--
    06 Mar 2014 09:55 AM
    ^Just to update the picks process at MK "A", it is now based off the students last set of marks at their previous unit. There is no points system for grades anymore.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    08 Mar 2014 01:08 PM
    Posted By JDMD on 06 Mar 2014 10:55 AM
    ^Just to update the picks process at MK "A", it is now based off the students last set of marks at their previous unit. There is no points system for grades anymore.

Really?  That is entirely subjective and there are too many variables for that to be a good idea.  Let's not let something objective, like direct performance during school and test results get in the way of someone's opinion of a person before they show up.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JDMD

--
    08 Mar 2014 06:30 PM
    Yea that's my opinion of it too... When I heard about that, I was kind of amazed because those numbers mean something totally different to each supervisor. Also, a "7" for a sector non rate is NOT the same as a cutter non rate!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    08 Mar 2014 06:49 PM
    I agree it's not the best way to divvy up billets. I'm curious how that decision was made.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    08 Mar 2014 07:41 PM
    Posted By Gears on 08 Mar 2014 07:49 PM
    I agree it's not the best way to divvy up billets. I'm curious how that decision was made.

Same here Gears, I wonder how they concluded that was the best way.  At the very least, when I went through, it was a motivator to pay attention, learn and do the best you could because your future was riding on it.  

When I was in MK "A" school it depended on where you were coming from, (OCONUS Afloat, INCONUS Afloat, ec) that gave you an extra point or two then everything was based on tests.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    08 Mar 2014 08:10 PM
    Same here. I was Honor Grad and got my 4th pick. It was an amazing job though.
    JeepGirl01

--
    24 Mar 2014 10:35 PM
    Hello everyone!

I will be going to MK A School in June and just would like to ask what I will need to bring, and what to have accomplished prior to arrival. I can't seem to find that information anywhere! Thank you for any and all insight!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JDMD

--
    25 Mar 2014 09:51 AM
    Get your EPME completed! All you need really though is a full, complete seabag and then whatever else you want to bring (civies, a bike...)
    dbug30

--
    10 Jun 2014 04:49 PM
    Has anyone taken the new rating advancment test (RAT) for MK2 yet? 
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    11 Jan 2015 09:57 PM
    Hello everyone! So after joining the Coast Guard and working with many of the rates I have decided I want to stick with the engineering side, most likley MK or EM. For the past few months I have been relatively certain that I wanted to go EM but during this in port I have had an absolute blast working on the mains and SSDGs with the MKs. I'm now considering becoming an MK. So far my plan is to stay in the Coast Guard until I get at least first class, though I may get out earlier or stay in longer, its hard to say at this point. I'm curious what the civilian job market looks like for someone who just got out as an MK1 or Cheif? I know I'll enjoy both rates while I'm in but I'm worried which one will benefit me more in the civilian world.
    "You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    12 Jan 2015 05:24 AM
    I've seen an equal amount of interest in people with several years experience as an EM or MK for a lot of different jobs at the Metro Transit Authority in NYC area. Either way you will learn a valuable trade that translates well to the civilian world. MKs can get stationed in more places and there is more room for advancement beyond E-6 than those in the EM rating.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    03 Feb 2015 06:21 AM
    My boat was drydocked at Rybovich Shipyard in West Palm Beach, FL. They have a plethora of former CG Engineers working there making some really good money. It all depends on where you want to go when you get out.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    10 Apr 2015 03:04 PM
    Im on the MK A school list and I can't wait to go to Yorktown. I have another quick question. I am the best man in a wedding and I may be at A school on the wedding date. I was curious if its possible to take 3-4 days of leave while at MK A school?

Thanks!
    "You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLonelyOS

--
    10 Apr 2015 03:54 PM
    I've never heard of any A school approving leave. Maybe an out of bounds chit on the weekend.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Apr 2015 05:08 PM
    A guy in Colin's OS A School got a week of leave approved during school. His wife was having their first baby. A wedding, ehhhhh, maybe. Where is the wedding and is it as immediate family member?
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    10 Apr 2015 05:22 PM
    He is not an immediate family member and it would be on the west coast. So I'm guessing thats a no. Now I have to determine if its worth it to not take the EPME and be on hold so that I can attend. This is a very important event to me and my family. The person is a close family friend. Hmmm
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Apr 2015 07:53 PM
    Close family friend versus career and advancement? Not really a choice in my eyes. If this person is such a good friend and so close, they would not ever ask you to postpone your life for theirs. Not really a fair trade off.

My son's very closest civilian friend was getting married while he was in A School. He was in Petaluma, his friend was getting married in Washington state. He told him, just can't. My son is still his very best friend, there was never an issue that Colin couldn't attend. It was a given, his schooling was more important to advance his life.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    MrTactiKewl

--
    01 Apr 2016 12:49 PM
    Hey fellas, I'm aiming to leave for boot this summer and based on the info I've got right now I'm shooting for either BM or MK.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and I like fixing things. Also I have four years prior service as USMC infantry so I'm well acquainted with BS and can deal with it just fine. In fact I'm looking forward to being a non rate. Anyway the Corps taught me two very important things about myself: Standing post pisses me off, and I'm an adrenaline junky. I need to be doing things constantly or I start getting antsy.

So what I'm wondering is:
    1: in general do MKs tend to stay more occupied then BMs throughout a typical day (both on cutters and at stations)
    2: Do MKs get as much time on the water as BMs doing "kewl stuff" like boarding ships and patrolling the waters and stuff like that. (again on both cutters and stations)
    3: I know it's possible for an MK to drive or command a small boat but is it likely?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    01 Apr 2016 02:53 PM
    1: in general do MKs tend to stay more occupied then BMs throughout a typical day (both on cutters and at stations)

Yes. After the mission is done, we have to do maintenance on the equipment the BMs break.

Do MKs get as much time on the water as BMs doing "kewl stuff" like boarding ships and patrolling the waters and stuff like that. (again on both cutters and stations)

Yes. We're stationed at almost every CG unit and are eligible to qualify as small boat crew, boarding team members, and boarding officers.

I know it's possible for an MK to drive or command a small boat but is it likely?

MKs have to learn basic boat handling and navigation at small boat stations. MKs can qualify as Coxswain's but that level of training is typically reserved for BMs.
    MrTactiKewl

--
    02 Apr 2016 11:14 AM
    Thanks Gears. So while the MKs are fixing things what are the BMs doing? Standing watch?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    04 Apr 2016 05:30 AM
    The BMs are usually taking care of rescue and survival gear, LE gear, cleaning the boats, splicing line, standing watch, and talking about driving boats.
    hooligan

--
    06 Apr 2016 12:21 AM
    I was an MK, boarding officer, ran loads of sar cases, and only met one coxswain qualified MK during my time in service. It is possible to become a coxswain as an MK, but boatswains mates hold the vast majority of all coxswain qualifications, and qualification exams, practical knowledge, practical tests, for coxswain are all run by Boatswains Mates, so they qualify their own first, usually. The good part about your troubles is that you'll be able to meet and see both groups in action, so you'll be able to make a well informed decision beforehand. Work hard, good things will happen.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    disciplecore

--
    17 Jan 2017 07:29 PM
    Is Class rank in mk a school still based on your previos set of marks?
     What about prior service do those marks count? Like prior pettyofficer seperation marks?
    "The only easy day was yesterday"
    Dmangano144

--
    02 Feb 2017 01:33 PM
    Does anyone happen to know a current wait time for a school to be an mk? And what's up with the guaranteed a school thing? I'm planning on enlisting this year once I get my finances straight and I've read that you need to wait 6 months to be able to get put on list, so if your in the guaranteed program will you go right after 6 months?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    disciplecore

--
    02 Feb 2017 02:26 PM
    Posted By Dmangano144 on 02 Feb 2017 02:33 PM
    Does anyone happen to know a current wait time for a school to be an mk? And what's up with the guaranteed a school thing? I'm planning on enlisting this year once I get my finances straight and I've read that you need to wait 6 months to be able to get put on list, so if your in the guaranteed program will you go right after 6 months?

0-3 months if you are in the fleet as a nonrate.
    You have to wait 4 months and be qualified and get the commands approval to put your name on the list.

Since it was critical and they offer a $5,000 bonus for obligated service after a school you should be able to go to mk a school right out of bootcamp, but you have to get that authorized by the recruiting command.

https://www.uscg.mil/epm/docs/A-SchoolList.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiq3uLbq_LRAhUV62MKHYk0B04QFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNH-w-Um3P5ZOriJsAyNF895gj9y

^^^^ updated a school list posted monthly.
    Dmangano144

--
    02 Feb 2017 08:09 PM
    Thanks for the info man i appreciate it! Ive got a little bit of time before i can enlist ive gotta get my truck paid off to meet the debt to income ratio due to me having both my truck loan and wifes car loan.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    disciplecore

--
    02 Feb 2017 08:42 PM
    Posted By Dmangano144 on 02 Feb 2017 09:09 PM
    Thanks for the info man i appreciate it! Ive got a little bit of time before i can enlist ive gotta get my truck paid off to meet the debt to income ratio due to me having both my truck loan and wifes car loan.

Check out this it should help.

For those of you coming back in and those that are already in. You are eligible under the service members civil relief act. It deals with tons of incentives to you and your dependents. naming a few are to lower you interest rates to 6% coming in. I did this my first enlistment and the bank actually had to backpay me all the over interest that was over six percent . I received a few thousand dollar check and interest rates dropped. RENT, INSTALLMENT CONTRACTS, MORTGAGES, LIENS, ASSIGNMENT, LEASES to name a few. Check it out and talk to one of your yeoman or a a senior enlisted  member about it. Or message me. 

§ 3937. Maximum rate of interest on debts incurred before military service
    (a) Interest rate limitation

(1) Limitation to 6 percent

An obligation or liability bearing interest at a rate in excess of 6 percent per year that is incurred by a servicemember, or the servicemember and the servicemember’s spouse jointly, before the servicemember enters military service shall not bear interest at a rate in excess of 6 percent

Goodluck and in my opinion pay off the credit card aka charge card fast and destroy it.... 

https://www.servicememberscivilreliefact.com/faqs/

http://militaryverification.com/scra-index/
    lapo1995

--
    06 Jan 2019 03:02 AM
    Is possible be in a land unit or a small boat unit as an MK? There is any consideration at the job if you are married or the Coast Guard doesn't matter about it?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    09 Jan 2019 07:46 AM
    MKs are stationed everywhere in the CG. I've been afloat, ashore, Patrol Boats, big Cutters, small boat station, recruiting, and now a Sector. Your marital status is not taken into consideration, but you do have some say in where want to go.
    reiss_pieces11

--
    28 Jan 2019 11:37 AM
    So because my SO is going to be putting his name on MK A School soon, I was just curious about a day at MK A School. What time do classes start/ end? I've heard that they get liberty around 1600 for the day (unless they are standing duty). Are there any PT tests during MK A School? Times when the class has to do PT? Thanks!
    Keep Calm and Love a Coastie!

---
    Active Forums 4.3