AMT-AVIATION MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN
Last Post 08 Mar 2018 08:37 PM by sako_hopar. 119 Replies.
Author Messages
Trusted Member / Administrator
chukles

--
10 Jan 2010 12:12 AM
    AVIATION MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN (AMT)

To view a video of this rate, click here.

AMTs inspect, service, maintain, troubleshoot and repair aircraft engines, auxiliary power units, propellers, rotor systems, power train systems, and associated airframe and systems-specific electrical components. They service, maintain and repair aircraft fuselages; wings; rotor blades; fixed and movable flight control surfaces; and also bleed aircraft air, hydraulic and fuel systems. AMTs also fill aircrew positions such as flight engineer, flight mechanic, loadmaster, dropmaster, sensor-systems operator and basic aircrewman.

Types of Duty:

AMTs are stationed at large and small Coast Guard air stations throughout the United States and Puerto Rico, and can be assigned to the Polar Operations Division in Mobile, Ala., in support of ice-breaking operations. AMTs maintain HC-130H (Hercules), HU-25A (Falcon), HH-60J (Jayhawk) and HH-65A (Dolphin) aircraft.

Training Available:

The initial five-month course covers basic aircraft-maintenance fundamentals. Other advanced courses cover specific aircraft systems and provide troubleshooting skills. The courses are taught at the Aviation Technical Training Center for all but the HC-130 aircraft. The Coast Guard also utilizes commercial training for advanced courses. An AMT may apply for the Aviation Maintenance Technology program, which provides personnel with the knowledge and skills necessary to fill billets requiring a high level of technical expertise. This program provides up to two years of full-time college attendance to achieve a minimum of an associate degree in aeronautical technology.

Qualifications:

You must have an aptitude for mechanics. School courses in algebra, geometry, electronics and machine shop are very helpful. Candidates must pass an aircrew-candidate physical and qualify for a "Secret" security clearance.

Related Civilian Jobs:

Flight Engineer
    Airline Maintenance Supervisor
    General/Commercial Aviation Mechanic
    General/Commercial Aircraft Inspector
    Aviation-Maintenance Instructor
    Aircraft Ground Handler

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    10 Jan 2010 12:24 AM
    Posted from old AMT thread;

Rogue580
    Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2009
    Total Posts : 128 Posted 12/31/2009 5:05 PM (GMT -5)
    I recently saw that the coast guard has new unmanned airplanes that they are going to be using i was wondering if these are going to be serviced by regular AMTs? And if anyone knew whos job it will be to pilot them remotely? thanks!

CSAYank
    Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2008
    Total Posts : 530 Posted 1/2/2010 5:49 AM (GMT -5)
    Are you talking about the little ROV's or DHS's new Predators?
    -Pain is weakness leaving the body.
    -It's 5 o'clcok somewhere.
    - So can you tell me what exactly does freedon mean, if I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be.

Rogue580
    Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2009
    Total Posts : 128 Posted 1/2/2010 3:53 PM (GMT -5)
    The coast guard has unmanned planes now, there the predators but they have USCG on them not the Department of homeland security. Might be the same ones!

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    sjd22

--
    01 Dec 2010 11:53 AM
    I posted this same question in the AET forum:

What do AMT's usually do when they are out of the Coast Guard? Can you provide yourself with a good living? I'm shipping on Jan 4 as an E-3 and want to get my name on an A-School list ASAP. I'm looking at IS right now, because I know I can get the clearance, I already have a secret level and a spotless record. On top of that it seems like I'd enjoy it. But AET or AMT just looks like it's ****ing cool. I have 61 credits toward an Engineering degree, and have an understanding of mechanics and electricity with an interest in both. But I want to make sure I'll be able to provide for the family I one day hope to have when I'm done.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    uberchris

--
    26 Dec 2010 06:42 PM
    the coast guard has an A+P certification program, which is a license recognized by the FAA certifying that you are a competent Airframe + Powerplant mechanic. From everyone i have talked with, if you show a willingness to learn as an airdale, and have the right attitude, you can go to a bunch of different C schools while you are in, and learn different things about the specific type of aircraft you are assigned to.

outside, A+P mechanics generally work for airlines, charter service, private corporations, and government, as line mechanics, line supervisors, and maintenance management. There are plenty of schools that offer bachelors degrees in aviation maintenance, and usually with only about 36 credits more and promising character, you can attain a graduate degree in aviation safety, or accident investigation, and get yourself some serious opportunity.

while you are in you really should take full advantage of tuition assistance. ive been in 2 years and only just started working towards a degree in aviation maintenance with embry riddle worldwide and regret waiting this long...........

good luck in whatever your endeavors are, but if you plan to go AMT or AET, plan on waiting. I put my name on the school list JUL09, and should be getting orders to the airman program about MAY11. In my opinion, nothing else in the coast guard looks like it would interest me. theres a reason i was always staring at the sky in the outfield through little league playoff games, lol.

http://www.forums.amtcentral.com/ thats got some good info and

http://worldwide.erau.edu/degrees-programs/undergraduate/aviation-maintenance.html ERAU online learning. there are plenty of other schools as well.

good luck
    AMT PROBIE

--
    16 Jul 2011 07:10 AM
    Are ther any AMT's here that started thier CG career on the boat side and then went aviation. And if so, please share how much different it is...for better or for worse!

v/r
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    gdeyarmond

--
    19 Sep 2011 03:04 PM
    Myself and my ship mate at my station are looking into AMT. He is ready to put his name on an A School list and I just arrived there, but we are both scratching our heads as to how and get flight physicals to get this ball rolling. The closest air station is a 5 hour drive or so (detroit).
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    texascgmom

--
    20 Sep 2011 09:53 AM
    My son is at a station on the Great Lakes and was able to get his flight physical in Detroit. I remember him driving to Detroit to get the physical done. His command set everything up for him. I think he did it after he put his name on the A-School list.
    Proud Mom to SN Lueders - "Mom" to FN Coover - Soon to be AET's
    subaru27

--
    23 Dec 2011 10:07 AM
    I am currently an FN at Sector San Francisco. I've never been on a boat but I've got friends on the Morg(a 378), and the Aspen(a bouy tender). I also go to Air Station San Fran because I am going AMT. All I can say is any aviation rate is a totally and completely different lifestyle than ANY boat rate. If you like doing boardings or being at sea, aviation isn't for you. Aviators hang out in the hanger all day doing tedious routine maintenance all day and only fly on some SAR cases or to get hours in. Also when you tag onto a cutter to do a patrol all the boat guys hate when you're there, especially when your doing night ops. Advancement is also something to consider. Other than AST, the aviation A-school lists are 2 years plus right now and once you get rated advancement to second is slow, making chief is crazy hard. But like everyone says, " Choose your rate, choose your fate." I came in knowing the waitlist was 2 years and that it would be worth it for me.
    subaru27

--
    23 Dec 2011 10:17 AM
    I don't know how close you are to a sector but thats where I got my flight physical done. They gave me a lot of crap and the HS's wouldn't let me make the appointments at first because I just got on the list and they said with the waitlist as long as it is it wouldn't make sense to get it. I argued with them that I've known people who were told the same thing and when they finally got to the top of the list and got the physical done they failed. They waited over a year and a half on the waitlist to find out they can't go aviation!! One guy then put his name on the MK list which was another year wait. The sector I'm at has a department specifically for flight physicals. look up the phone directory list for the sector near you and talk to that department. You also need an eye exam.
    subaru27

--
    23 Dec 2011 10:23 AM
    I am on the AMT A school list and would like to get some feedback from an A school alumni. I am married with two kids and my wife and I are debating whether or not she should come to NC and rent a place so we came see eachother whenever possible. How often do you get liberty during A school and do they let you leave or would they let them come on base to visit? 5 months is a long time not to see my kids so getting to see them twice a month or hopefully more would be worth it to me.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    gdeyarmond

--
    16 Jan 2012 10:33 AM
    Put my name on the AMT A school list last week. Should show up next month. I am heading to Detroit (not really in Detroit, but close I guess) on Friday for my flight physical. I didn't have much trouble getting an appointment. I called the HS' and left a message...about 30 minutes later I got paged that I had a phone call and set the appointment up. You can always try another air station if you are having trouble. I don't know if your command would allow it? I am about 20 miles closer to Detroit vs. Cape Cod, so I had "options". Good luck to all of you on the AMT list.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    gdeyarmond

--
    16 Jan 2012 10:34 AM
    My wife was asking me about this the other day too. I am hoping someone can give us some feedback.
    AMT2

--
    16 Jan 2012 03:36 PM
    How's it going everyone. I went through AMT-A School in 2003 and got out as an AMT2 in '09. Was a Helo bubba the whole time on the tupperwolf. Let me know if you guys have any questions. I would be more than happy to answer them. I was also an instructor/EFEB so any 65 specific questions are also welcome.
    One turnin.....two burnin!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Kchan

--
    16 Jan 2012 06:51 PM
    Hey Amt2, have you ever met anyone or know of anyone that has pectus excavatum and was able to get this rate? I am waiting for a waiver and I was hoping of doing AMT as one of my options if possible.
    AMT2

--
    16 Jan 2012 10:26 PM
    You honestly got me there! I don't remember seeing anyone at A-school with that condition, but that doesn't mean much. The flight physical standards are pretty high. I was grounded for six months due to the fact that I developed acid reflux disease. It seemed like it took forever to get my waiver. The flight sergeon was ready to permanently disqualify me and I was already and E-5 and an Instructor on the 65. My chief was able to convince him to push my waiver through so that I could take my meds and still fly. So take it for what its worth, they are pretty strict about certain things. Good luck!
    One turnin.....two burnin!
    JJSTANMAN69

--
    25 Jan 2012 05:37 PM
    Afternoon! Anyone aware of a AST's rotation.From my understanding it was a 1 in 12 rotation (one day in barracks 12 days workday till 4).Is this true for all airstations.I just couldnt see how you could handle anything in your civilian life if you cam in everyday untill 4 or at least till noon.Any idea, hints?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    27 Jan 2012 09:33 AM
    You are asking this question in the AMT thread, not the AST thread. You would be better posting it in the correct area or starting a new thread. You will get faster answers. I don't know the answer, no one in my family was an AMT or AST. So I would only be guessing. Best of luck.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    JJSTANMAN69

--
    31 Jan 2012 10:48 AM
    Im sorry, I meant an AMT not an AST. It was a misspelling on my part.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    gdeyarmond

--
    15 Mar 2012 11:09 AM
    I put my name on the AMT list in mid January and had my flight physical at the end of Jan. They found a Right Bundle Branch Block and sent me to a cardiologist to make sure I was ok...Cardio said I was good to go and I have since applied for a waiver.

I know waivers are not an instant thing, but I'm just looking for a time frame before I should probably contact someone, or move my name to another list. I really want to go Aviation, but also realize that it is a 2 year wait minimum and I am "old" by USCG standards, so I'm trying to minimize "wasting" any time waiting on a school list in a rating I might never be able to go.
    Ryanpann

--
    11 Apr 2012 06:08 PM
    Hey what's up everyone, I had a few questions for you about the AMT rate. I leave for boot June 12 and really excited for the future and becoming an AMT! Forgive me if you saw this post already.

After becoming AMT3, what is the process on getting on a flight crew? does it depend on the air station or is there a list of qualifications first...?

As an AMT what are your thoughts becoming an officer and the AVCAD program, is this something you've considered doing or have done? why/why not?

Are you given the opportunity to choose the aircraft you want to work on after A School?

thanks again
    dan12

--
    06 Jun 2012 12:40 PM
    does wearing glesses disqualify me to be an Aviation Maintenance Technician or any other aviation rating?
    dan12

--
    06 Jun 2012 12:42 PM
    what is the flight physical like?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    12 Jun 2012 02:57 PM
    dan12, it all depends on what your vision is, currently the simple answer is 20/400 is the limit to get into coast guard aviation. The flight physical is fairly intensive and varies from station to station. THe standards are the same, but the way the doctors interpret things is different. If you have any questions ask away or shoot me a PM.
    illbboy

--
    31 Jul 2012 12:43 PM
    I hear all working hours vary from station is that true? also I read somewhere that AMTs work with firearms as well, is that true?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    31 Jul 2012 02:48 PM
    The only AMT's that work with firearms are the ones that are stationed at HITRON. As far as work hours, there is a day shift, night shift, and overnight shift at most air stations. So the hours definitely vary.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    illbboy

--
    31 Jul 2012 02:58 PM
    thanks for the info. as far as the whole firearms thing goes, is that in the A school or just HITRON training?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    31 Jul 2012 03:43 PM
    Just HITRON.
    Kreske

--
    02 Aug 2012 04:24 PM
    Also at units that have an AUF (Aerial Use of Force) program, Such as Sector San Diego
    nickg

--
    05 Oct 2012 04:05 PM
    The last 2 posts got deleted on here. If the person who deleted them or knows why they got deleted can you send me a PM or just respond.

Thank you!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Oct 2012 05:39 PM
    I didn't delete them but I would venture to guess it had something to do with scuttlebutt that could be very detrimental to good order. I don't care what sort of "very good source" someone has... We don't advocate rumors nor will we tolerate rumors. Fact based only. I'm sure that had a very big part of why any of our moderators and administrators would delete the post. The conversation and speculation about that ends here. If you would like to discuss it further, please send me a PM.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    05 Oct 2012 07:07 PM
    I deleted them. Spreading rumors that will cause panic, with no official guidance to back up the claims is irresponsible.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    05 Oct 2012 07:10 PM
    Oh, and the source of the rumor is irrelevant.
    nickg

--
    06 Oct 2012 10:54 AM
    As I wait for school I would like to get a head start on learning. I know most manuals in aviation are airframe specifice but is there anything similar to the boat crew seamanship manual for aviation?

Thank you!
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    06 Oct 2012 12:33 PM
    If you look up the EPQs for AMT, it will list all of the references for each practical factor. That's a great place to start.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    07 Oct 2012 04:38 PM
    The only thing you could possibly get a head start on is the airman syllabus an most of that can't be done without having the planes in front of you. The rest of quals are all airframe specific and some even model specific. Not to mention you will probably forget a lot of it at 5 months or A school or be switched to a different airframe than where you did your airman program. Try to find the airman syllabus and start looking up things that are in there. You can find it on the portal. Also, the aviation bible so to speak is the NAVAIR 505-1. Basically every type of maintenance we do can be found in there. Good luck!
    nickg

--
    09 Oct 2012 08:24 PM
    Thank you
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    rfail1988

--
    12 Oct 2012 10:14 PM
    http://www.tracenpetaluma.com/tqc/a...?cc=501057 no longer an unconfirmed rumor... The only convening date for FY13 for AMT is the 22nd of this month.
    nickg

--
    13 Oct 2012 01:31 AM
    That's said that for a few months now. And it's better than nothing
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    13 Oct 2012 07:46 AM
    Posted By rfail1988 on 12 Oct 2012 11:14 PM
    http://www.tracenpetaluma.com/tqc/a...?cc=501057 no longer an unconfirmed rumor... The only convening date for FY13 for AMT is the 22nd of this month.

This confirms nothing. Until the budget is passed, not many schools will be able to plan their classes out very far in advance.
    camjohnson89

--
    11 Apr 2013 03:48 PM
    Do any aviators really believe waiting 3 years or possibly your whole enlistment (4 years) as a nonrate to get orders for AMT or AET is really worth it? Would it be smarter to perhaps learn another field while you're in then get out and go to a private school for aviation?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Apr 2013 03:55 PM
    Can you afford private school for aviation?
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    camjohnson89

--
    11 Apr 2013 04:00 PM
    Maybe not private school but one like say, Embry Riddle. I know the Post 911 covers a 4 year degree in Aviation Maintenance or a related field.
    Someyoungguy

--
    18 Jun 2013 02:04 PM
    Does anyone know why a bunch of names were removed from the list for this months updated list? The new 15 June list that just came out a bunch of names were removed.
    blitzburgh

--
    18 Jun 2013 02:09 PM
    If you were on an aviation list and you didn't have your intial flight physical scheduled or if yours expired and it had been 2 months you got kicked off the list. It says it in red highlight towards the top of the a school list.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Jun 2013 02:55 PM
    A little clarification - If you are scheduled to have your flight physical within 2 months, you were allowed to remain on the list. If you have nothing scheduled, and it said "NPY" next to the name, you were removed. You will not be put back on the A School list until you have a completed physical. Also, if your physical was expired, you were removed from the list until such time you can retake the physical.

Blitzburgh, the one part of your sentence about 2 months was choppy and hard to understand. Otherwise, spot on.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Someyoungguy

--
    20 Jun 2013 05:16 PM
    Thanks for the info guys. But i'm pretty sure the yearly flight physical is supposed to update every year for the annual PHA physical. So thats why i'm confused.
    And if there is a chance of getting back on the list can I get back into the same wait number i was at or do i start over on the list.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Jun 2013 05:25 PM
    My understanding you start over again. Please talk to your Yeoman, they will be up to date on the latest information with all that is going on.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Lance

--
    20 Jun 2013 07:08 PM
    Heres the scope...

Lets say your name gets taken off any of the aviation ratings for having a NPY hold longer then 2 months. Get your flight physical completed and once the clinic puts you into AERO your name will be put back on the list at the number it was taken off at.
    Someyoungguy

--
    21 Jun 2013 08:37 AM
    Thanks again. I'll try to find out more.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    NargilFenris

--
    21 Jun 2013 09:45 AM
    I looked into it and outside of talking to a detailer or "A" school instructor just from looking at the language they use it would seem to me you would have to start over on the list. In the "A" school message they use the term removed, not placed on hold if you fail to get the physical done in time. The only other time they use the term removed is when referering to getting tossed off the list for NJPs and court martials. In both cases with those you have to start over.
    If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Jun 2013 09:48 AM
    I'm not sure that Lance's information is completely correct.

"MEMBER'S WITHOUT A VALID FLIGHT PHYSICAL WILL BE REMOVED FROM THEIR RESPECTIVE "A" SCHOOL LIST. IF MEMBER'S ON AN "A" SCHOOL LIST HAVE A FLIGHT PHYSICAL SCHEDULED, THERE WILL BE A 2 MONTH GRACE PERIOD TO PRODUCE A FLIGHT PHYSICAL OR HAVE THEIR NAME REMOVED."

There is nothing in that statement saying you will go back on the list in the place in which you were removed from. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE... if you were on an A School list and were removed for NPY, check, double check, triple check with your Yeoman as to what the deal is once your flight physical is confirmed and in the system. The idea of going back to where you were on the list, that just sounds really incorrect to me. I did double check this with a Yeoman myself, and it was interpreted the same way. There is no mention of going back to where you were on the list.

Lance, if you have something else saying that and it is authorized for internet release, by all means, please share it.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Lance

--
    21 Jun 2013 02:04 PM
    It came from the Aviation Assignment officer, I know things change without notice but as of right now its that way. People are sitting on the list with NPY holds for over a year and its clogging and slowly down the lists which are now back open and in full swing again.
    blitzburgh

--
    22 Jun 2013 10:16 AM
    As for the flight physical updating with PHA. It's the opposite. The PHA updates with the flight physical. The flight physical covers more than PHA so if you do just the PHA you will be missing things that you need for the flight physical. For example my PHA doesn't do a urinalysis, blood sample, EKG and the flight physicals hearing and eye exams are alot more intense.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    23 Jun 2013 09:56 AM
    You need to have your chain of command talk to the aviation detailers. One of our nonrates was removed from the list on accident and even though he was all good to go, we called and they said he'll go back on the list according to his signing date next month. But his stuff was all good and not lasped.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    23 Jun 2013 10:53 AM
    Bells point just reinstates my point... Don't rely on anything you HEAR, talk to your Yeoman. Find out exactly what is happening in your particular situation.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    blitzburgh

--
    24 Jun 2013 12:01 PM
    I've talked to 2 YN's and they both said that once you have been removed you have to start over but I also talked to a girl at a unit near me who was removed due to not having her flight physical updated and she said she was told that once she completed her flight physical she would go back to her orginal date she was added to the list.
    Someyoungguy

--
    26 Jun 2013 09:47 AM
    The part in Red on the A school list that says "MEMBERS SHALL UPDATE THEIR ANNUAL FLIGHT PHYSICAL DURING EACH SCHEDULED PHA".
    So i've already had my flight physical done 2 years ago. Last year I had my PHA physical, saved a copy of the paperwork and gave it to our HS. They said it should update my flight physical. So according to that statement my flight physical should update with every PHA. i'm almost to the bottom of this. People are still looking into it i guess.
    blitzburgh

--
    26 Jun 2013 01:14 PM
    Did they remove your name from the list this month?
    Someyoungguy

--
    22 Aug 2013 02:54 PM

I got all my flight physical stuff and A school list figured out finally. I had to do another full flight physical which is only good for every year now if you are on the waiting list. Your flight physical updates your annual PHA as well. So for anyone else that got removed from the AMT list you can get back on in your original spot and possibly moved up on the list if you get this done.

So i have another question. Does anyone have any information or study material for the math test that you have to take at the airman program or in a school? I would like to see what sort of math AMT's need to know.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Lance

--
    22 Aug 2013 08:11 PM
    When the AN program was at the AirStations all aviations rates took the same math test. It wasn't anything to crazy, just your typical High School algebra. We also didn't allow our AST airmen to use calculators. Now that there really isn't a AN program I have no clue but I'm sure it's probably going to be similar.
    Someyoungguy

--
    27 Aug 2013 11:00 AM

Sounds good. Thanks Lance.

Someyoungguy

--
    07 Dec 2013 06:28 AM

So a newer message on the A school list says: "All Avitaion “A” school candidates will receive orders directly to Elizabeth City, NC for training. The AMT/AET course is now 26 weeks in duration, the AST course will be completed in 24 weeks."

Does this mean for poeple with spouses that their spouse will be able to go with them to North Carolina now and collect the BAH for NC during the Airman program and A school?

cvasquez

--
    07 Apr 2014 03:58 PM
    Posted By Lance on 22 Aug 2013 09:11 PM
    When the AN program was at the AirStations all aviations rates took the same math test. It wasn't anything to crazy, just your typical High School algebra. We also didn't allow our AST airmen to use calculators. Now that there really isn't a AN program I have no clue but I'm sure it's probably going to be similar.

This was posted months ago, but what was put in place of the AN program? If you just post a link of info that would suffice. Thanks in advance.

Does the post above this one answer my question? If so, I'd still like to read more about it.
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    12 Apr 2014 04:57 AM
    http://www.uscg.mil/psc/epm/ao/Airm...rogram.asp

Details are in the link. AST hopefuls will do their PFT at their unit, have the command certify, and submit to the aviation assignment CPO at ATTC. They will complete the airman program while attending their A school.
    Kimbraa

--
    23 Apr 2014 11:33 PM
    Can anyone tell me about careers after serving as an AMT in the Coast Guard? I know the gocoastguard website mentions careers you can have after serving, I was more interested in seeing how employers like former USCG AMTs and if they're highly sought after, or if it's difficult to find a good career after getting out.
    Ry2134

--
    01 May 2014 06:11 AM
    How difficult is the A School for this rate.
    blitzburgh

--
    02 May 2014 09:00 PM
    I'm at school now. The instructors are really good and the goal is to get you to pass so they make sure you understand the knowledge. The student guides for each lesson explain everything that you need to know and the tests are word for word out of them. You go over a lesson, take the test and then move to the next one. Like I said the goal is to get you to pass because they CG is low on AMT3's and AET3's and your needed in the fleet.
    cvasquez

--
    03 May 2014 09:40 AM
    Posted By thestormiscoming on 12 Apr 2014 05:57 AM
    http://www.uscg.mil/psc/epm/ao/Airm...rogram.asp

Details are in the link. AST hopefuls will do their PFT at their unit, have the command certify, and submit to the aviation assignment CPO at ATTC. They will complete the airman program while attending their A school.

Very helpful. Thanks a lot.
    RipCity

--
    18 May 2014 11:38 PM
    Couple of AMT questions. I'm a reservist, but am currently waiting approval from HQ to integrate. I'll be dropping from an ME2 to a un-designated e-3 (Won't be able to keep SNME)

I have been a qualified boat crewman for the past 3 years, so my initial plan for wherever I am placed is to begin to strike BM, but am also very interested in AMT. I am aware of being able to strike a rate, and put my name on the AMT A school list at the same time, but do not know the procedures for getting my name on the list, i.e. how long it takes to just initially get your name on the list.

I will possibly be able to shoot up to sector before reporting and get a flight physical taken care of, but I'm not positive.

Also, ASVAB Waivers. I'm positive if I re-took the asvab today I'd score a lot higher than I did when I was 19, but am wondering if it would be easier to obtain a waiver instead. On the other hand, currently still in reserve status, I plan on talking to the recruiter that I'm going through the process with to see what all I can get taken care of in the time being.

anyways, any info about the A school list procedures, airman program, and the rate in general would be awesome, I've been deployed as a reservist a couple of times, and have been able to do some pretty cool stuff, but would love info about the day-to-day air station duty, etc.

Thanks!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    19 May 2014 01:46 AM
    I think it would just be easier to take the test. For the striking question you can put your name on the aschool list after four months after you report. You then can also strike. But the striking program isn't like how it was. You have to be enrolled by your unit and they track your epqs in tmt. Once you finish striking and pass all the tests (bm3 eoct and the dwo) you then have to decide whether you want to go on the advancement list for bm3 or stay on the school list for amt. Since you are already in it would be interesting to see if you could start striking now. Half the pracs are boatcrew pracs. You might need rfmc approval, but since it's for the purpose of eventually switching to active duty it might be easier to get approval. I would talk to your command. Have them ask the questions
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    19 May 2014 08:29 AM
    ASVAB Waivers.

You're going to want to do your own research, the rules may have changed. Your command can waive up to 5 points on a section of the ASVAB, and HQ can waive up to 5 more. I don't know what the process is, or how it works, but it's an option.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    19 May 2014 03:54 PM
    RipCity,

An asvab waiver is an option, you have to go through your command to do it when you start the process to get your name on the list. To echo Gears, you can waive up to 5 points. From what I have seen if you are more than five, even though it may technically be an option it isn't likely to happen. However, with AMT being critical now it may be worth a shot.

As far as the day, it really depends on what airframe you get put on. Most air stations work 3 shifts. days, nights, and mids. So you do Monday-Friday shift work and then have duty in there as well. There is a ton of training involved. After A school it takes about 2 years to be fully qualified at your unit and be eligible to test for E-5. I am an AET and we work side by side all day and night. The flight crew positions on the helos are the same for both mechs and tweets, the fixed wing air frames are a little different but still have a lot of interoperation between the ratings. As for their job, if it moves: the AMT's work on it. If it has a wire: the AET's work on it. Obviously there are a lot of systems that are electrically controlled mechanical systems so the two ratings get cozy A LOT. Air stations tend to be a lot more laid back that the surface fleet but that has been my personal experience. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer.

As for "running up to sector" for a flight physical...that is easier said than done. The initial flight physical is two parts. One is a standard physical plus EKG, Hearing, etc. etc. and blood work. Once the labs come back you go meet with the flight surgeon to discuss the labs and all of the different horrible things that can happen in an aircraft as well as get all large body marks i.e. tattoos, scars, etc. measured for body ID purposes. If you are married, your wife will be present for the interview portion most likely. It HAS to be done by a qualified flight surgeon and getting in to one sometimes is difficult and other times is a pain. Good luck with this endeavor! It is a long process but well worth it. Nothing more awesome than pulling into a 20 foot hover over a fishing boat to save a life!
    RipCity

--
    19 May 2014 09:28 PM
    Awesome. Thanks for all the responses. I believe I was 2 pts short on the asvab, but I will have to double check in DA. I anticipate being stationed on a cutter after integration, that seems to be the trend right now for the reservists who are integrating right now. I'm excited for that, and feel like I could strike BM semi quickly and be able to adapt pretty easily, but is there a lot of opportunity on cutter for prospective airman? Will I be able to find resources to get a better idea of the aviation rates while being a SN on the larger cutters if I am assigned to one?

Also an aet buddy of mine seems to think that I could possibly get my name on the amt list right away once I report (and after the physical) due to my 4 years of service in the reserves, has anyone heard of this being the case?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    20 May 2014 05:47 AM
    Nothing more awesome than pulling into a 20 foot hover over a fishing boat to save a life!

Climbing over the side of a fishing boat to investigate why the crew isn't responding on the radio in the middle of the night while they navigate into a major shipping channel has its merits.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    20 May 2014 08:56 PM
    It certainly does Gears, but I spent enough time in the Bering Sea on my cutter to know that I, and the people around me, are much happier and more effective in the air. I will leave the boat work to the guys who don't get sea sick...plus we are a little spoiled in aviation.
    USMC2USCG

--
    23 May 2014 09:05 AM
    Hello all, I am a Veteran Marine and am looking to transition into the Coast Guard. I spoke with a recruiter about AMT, but wanted to get experiences from people who actually do the job day in and out. Please be straight forward with any responses. I know that ill have to go through bootcamp again, be reduced in rank to E-3, and will have to wait until a school opens up.

whats daily life like?
    Deployments? Where to?
    Rate of advancement?
    Will have to be worried about getting forced out due to a lack of promotions? (6 years in at E-4)
    How often are you in the air?
    Any specialized units you can join?
    Most boring thing about it?
    Any awesome stories?

I really appreciate any responses.
    Thanks,
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    24 May 2014 02:51 PM
    Daily life: We work one of three shifts, 7-3, 3-11, 11-7 ish. You will also stand duty if you are on day shift, once every 4 or so days. Daily life is a little different for each airframe, so if you have one you are interested in specifically go ahead and ask.
    Deployments: Depends on the unit and type of aircraft. The H60's in cape cod recently have gone to Puerto rico and the Bahamas. In Kodiak they go to barrow and cold bay. C-130s go to costa rica, japan, Ireland, all over really. H65's attaché to cutters and go world wide as well.
    Rate of Advancement: right now for AMT it is very slow, but the rate just went critical so it SHOULD be getting better. We actually have several prior service marines that are on the block for high year tenure, however its a board process so being prior service and AMT they have a good chance of being ok, but who knows.
    How often are we in the air: to maintain flight pay you MUST fly 4 hours per month. Average is 12 ish and some people are flying 40-50 hrs per month. It is dependent on aircraft and qualifications.
    Specialized Units: There is HITRON in Jacksonville florida. They are an anti narcotics force out of 65's. There is also an AUF program for the H60 and H65 that is for anti-terrorism. Currently it is not budgeted for next fiscal year, so that program is up in the year. The new commandant is very pro aviation special missions so we are hoping to get more opportunities in the future.
    Most Boring: Line crew. It is a fact of life, and its duty. The time it takes to become a qualified flight mechanic is long, but worth it in the end.
    Awesome Stories: There are tons, too many to even list.
    MisterGuardian

--
    15 Jun 2014 11:12 AM
    My question, for both this rate and AET, is do you have to be enlisted? I'm looking in to going to the Academy, but I want to either be an Aviation Technician or a figure in LE.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    15 Jun 2014 12:47 PM
    There's no need to double poat. Your question was answered in another thread.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    15 Jun 2014 04:41 PM
    Those are enlisted ratings. See your other post for more in depth.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    RPOST

--
    04 Jul 2014 04:27 PM
    I am a FN at a small boat station and am debating wether to put my name on the MK list or AMT. Besides what engineering i have learned here on the boats i have no prior mechanical experience but am very interested in it. Anybody have any suggestions on why i should/shouldn't go AMT?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    05 Jul 2014 08:57 PM
    There's a world of difference between MKs and AMTs. I would recommend you contact a few AMTs, ask your chain of command about spending a couple days at the nearest Airsta to get a feel. If you really want to fly go AMT. All joking aside, the only real downside for me would be the limited # of units available. There aren't that many Airstas to begin with, and once you're attached to an airframe that limits your options even further (Aviators feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). MKs are attached to every CG unit, so we can go anywhere and do almost anything.
    bobblehead

--
    11 Jul 2014 04:50 PM
    Posted By Someyoungguy on 07 Dec 2013 07:28 AM

So a newer message on the A school list says: "All Avitaion “A” school candidates will receive orders directly to Elizabeth City, NC for training. The AMT/AET course is now 26 weeks in duration, the AST course will be completed in 24 weeks."

Does this mean for poeple with spouses that their spouse will be able to go with them to North Carolina now and collect the BAH for NC during the Airman program and A school?

This question was never responded to and I was ondering the same thing,
    bobblehead

--
    11 Jul 2014 08:06 PM
    nevermind, found my answer here http://www.uscg.org/Forum/aft/16560.aspx#140844 thanks anyway
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    17 Jul 2014 01:31 AM
    Just to add in to any potential AMT's yes airstations are limited, but you aren't totally attached to an airframe. The only hard one to get away from is H60's because they are so maintenance intensive that once an AMT is trained, they try not to let them leave, but even then it happens. Something else, we don't have the variety that an MK does in unit choice but there are some specific things only an aviator can do such as Hitron, AUF, Aircrew, Flight Mechanic, basically your aviation specific quals. From my experience, the attitude and mentality is very similar between the two ratings. The job is different though, I don't think any of our boats have jets...so you have to ask yourself, do you want to work in a boat environment or do you want to work in an aviation environment? Aviation is the only thing that is really quite separate from the rest of the Coast Guard. Other ratings and units have more cross training and communication than we do, we are not "in the loop" as much as the surface fleet. Except maybe like the MSRT or Taclets....but no one really knows what the heck they are doing day to day anyway. But an MK could be a part of those units, where are as an aviator would have to jump through hoops to even have a chance.
    AztecMatt41

--
    31 Jul 2014 09:01 AM
    On the A school wait list, why does it say "qualified members" next to AST, AMT and AET?

I'm interested in AMT, but hesitant as to what life would be like for 2 years as a non-rate.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    31 Jul 2014 05:00 PM
    Qualified members are those who have had their flight physical completed and all other prerequisites signed off. You can be on the list but still have an administrative hold. The wait time might be longer if you are not a qualified member. Everybody on this forum will tell you not to make your decision based on the wait time. Making your decision based on wait time is probably the worst first decision you can make in the Coast Guard.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    31 Jul 2014 11:24 PM
    Life would be much better as a non rate for 2 years than a non rate for 4, which is what the wait was up until recently. Non rate life isn't bad and everyone is right, don't judge your career based off a wait time. To be "qualified" you have to have an approved flight physical and a secret level security clearance. You can't go to school until that happens.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    aztecmatt

--
    07 Aug 2014 10:37 AM
    Thanks, guys. As a non-rate, at an airstation, would I be able to be involved with anything aviation related?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Lance

--
    07 Aug 2014 11:09 AM
    Nope, We don't even have non-rates at my airstation.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    07 Aug 2014 03:47 PM
    We have non rates at our station but they are in facilities engineering and they pretty much just mow lawns and fix housing stuff. As far as anything aviation related, you can get duck qualified and go on a duck flight most likely. You can watch the helicopters fly in. You can come hang out in the swimmer shop for a couple of minutes if you're not annoying. You can be less grumpy than you would be at a boat station. That being said, the chances of being a non rate at an air station are very very slim. Not just one "very" slim. Thats 2 "very" slims.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    07 Aug 2014 06:30 PM
    If you were on a cutter you would be happier than you ever thought possible. We have cookies.
    AztecMatt41

--
    11 Aug 2014 06:46 PM
    Posted By Gears on 07 Aug 2014 07:30 PM
    If you were on a cutter you would be happier than you ever thought possible. We have cookies.

I'm sold!
    RPOST

--
    16 Aug 2014 02:30 PM
    What are the chances of you getting the platform that you want to work on right out of a-school, particularly c-130s because i know their is only 4 air stations that have those.
    coty_the_coastie

--
    16 Aug 2014 07:43 PM
    I've been looking into this rate for a while now and I just have one question at the moment. What kind of sea time is required for advancement in this rate?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    17 Aug 2014 10:02 AM
    RPOST, It is a crap shoot. Do well in your class and it is pretty good. Essentially the way it works is at some point in school they will give you a list of all of the open billets. The #1 student in the class gets his first pick, and so on down the list. Just like any dream sheet be realistic. If you want to get H60's in San Diego and won't accept anything less, you will be disappointed. If you want C-130's somewhere, you will probably be ok. Most classes have a mix of rotary and fixed wing billets.

Coty,
    Aviation doesn't require sea time. Once you are on the aviation side, sea time is not even a concern or mention although it does help when it comes time to take the SWE.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    aztecmatt

--
    09 Oct 2014 11:53 AM
    Lol I love how it's referred to as "the aviation side", almost like "the dark side".

Can't wait to get into AMT A school, even though its a long road.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    09 Oct 2014 02:16 PM
    The aviation side is certainly not the dark side!! You bite your tongue and if you keep that attitude up you'll be the first mech stationed permanently on a cutter.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    09 Oct 2014 03:35 PM
    The dark side? Aviation is all sunshine and rainbows.
    jdirish7

--
    13 Nov 2014 06:02 AM
    Hey guys I had a few questions about being an aircraft mechanic in the Coast Guard compared to the Air Force. I know you guys do pretty much everything on the aircraft where as the Air Force we have different specialist for say sheet metal, engines, and electric. We work a lot of 12 hour shifts usually I feel lucky if I get out before my 12 hours hits. Is that similar in the Coast Guard? I fly with my aircraft maybe once a month not even that much. I know you guys must all be qualified as aircrew so do you guys fly everyday or a few times a week? For A school is it general aircraft knowledge like what flight controls are, inspections, and tools? Then once you get to your base you learn about your specific aircraft? Thanks for any help!
    jmtsguy

--
    25 Nov 2014 01:34 PM
    I know you have to be an E3 before you "tryout". Are there any other time or service requirements? I understand that as a college grad, one would be an E3 after boot camp. Can you apply for A school right away?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    aztecmatt

--
    25 Nov 2014 10:32 PM
    As a college grad, you'd be an E-3, correct.
    You can apply for A school after you finish your quals at your first station, estimated 4-6 months.
    Do a google search for "USCG A school wait list".
    MiamiMike

--
    25 Apr 2015 06:47 PM
    BTW what does MIS or INC mean when reading the A-School list holds?
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    25 Apr 2015 07:18 PM
    Its on Page 3:
    MIS – Miscellaneous
    • Any member with a MIS hold, Please contact ASTC Ariola, ET1 Spencer or YN2 Riollano for any questions or if you have an update on your members hold status. It is very important to update your hold status since members with a hold will not be issued orders to “A” School.
    INC- Incomplete
    • This type hold is assigned to members with incomplete E-4 EPME AQE. Once you pass with a score of 85 or above you must notify ASTC Ariola, ET1 Spencer, or YN2 Riollano to remove the hold.
    MiamiMike

--
    26 Apr 2015 04:41 PM
    thanks so much, I actually found that right after I posted. what does MIS mean usually do you have to get in trouble?
    Rich32

--
    23 May 2016 02:07 PM
    Whats the differences between AMT1, AMT2 and AMT3? what do the numbers mean next to AMT?
    Rich32

--
    23 May 2016 02:10 PM
    how do AMTs become flight mechanics for helicopter? do you have to get some seniority to be able to be in the helicopter? what the average wait time to become a flight mechanic?
    hooligan

--
    24 May 2016 11:12 AM
    Rich, you're asking about a really great job, and this is exactly like restaurants, at the one that's 'not that great' there is no wait, they'll even shove the food thru a window at you while you sit in your car, but at the one that's good... there's always a line. You are asking about the great restaurant where it's great for a reason and you do get seated but you do have to wait a while, not too long, but a little while....
    I am not an AMT, but have worked with many people in Aviation, so here goes; the numbers after the letters are rank. AMT 1 is an E-6, an Aviation Maintenance Technician First Class. That would be one of the few AMT shop supervisors. Beneath him he would have lead AMT's, these would be AMT2's, military pay grade E-5, Aviation Maintenance Technician Second Class, these would be the section leaders, they'd supervise a section of the team of AMT3's in performing the maintenance on the helicopters or airplanes.
    What you are asking is what the 'wait list' for AMT 'A' school is when you ask about the wait time to become a 'flight mechanic' - we have AirCrewMembers. In the USCG, ALL Aviation Maintenance Technicians fly as crewmen in the aircraft, so the service has to be certain you are dedicated and physically capable, so you have to wait for school, you'll have to get a 'flight' physical at some point along the way, and you will have to work (and you will be watched to make sure you are capable while you work, that you have that dedication the service demands - after all, people's lives will be in your hands later as an AirCrewMember) while you wait for your seat to open up in an Aviation Technical School. Many other services, you can touch the helo, work on the aircraft, fuel it, wash it, grease it, wipe it down, but you're never, ever, going to fly in it. Not so in the USCG. You go into an Aviation technical field, you fly as a crewman, part of the team, and that goes for everyone. I know of no one who went into USCG aviationd and did not fly as Air Crew, we're just too small for that nonsense.
    So, here is the way it used to work, (it may work slightly differently now), you go thru basic training, you request an aviation school, and you take a flight physical, once you pass the flight physical you get put on the list and you await your seat, while you await your seat in class, you work at what your unit does and you work on your qualiifications at that unit to do what they do; and this will not be aviation; your ability to learn and get qualified at what the USCG needs you for is a precise indication of your ability to adapt and meet the demands of the USCG aviation job you are after. You get your orders to school, and as aviation is a great job, so many people want into it - across all the services, not just the uscg - that wait can seem long, but it flies by. After you get to and thru school, you are assigned to your unit and start working immediately on getting qualified as a crewmember, all the practical knowledge you need to know. That's the way it worked 'back when' and if there are any differences, I'm sure people will dive right in here and define and correct away. If I can make a recommendation, don't focus on numbers, months, whatever, focus on the work, the job, talk to people, and you'll find you're asking about a really great job. It's kind of like restaurants, at the one that's 'not that great' there is no wait, they'll even shove the food thru a window at you while you sit in your car, but at the one that's good... there's always a line. You are asking about the great restaurant where it's great for a reason and you do get seated but you do have to wait a while, not too long, but a little while.... best of luck.
    Rich32

--
    24 May 2016 11:44 AM
    Thanks Hooligan! That was a great analogy, and it completely makes sense! And i am definitely willing to wait for the perfect career! thank you for explain the numbers next to "AMT". also it is great to hear that most all AMTs will have the opportunity to fly as an aircrew member! i am excited for this great opportunity ahead of me!
    nick89

--
    02 Jun 2016 05:06 PM
    Flight mechanics or better known as flight mechs are only on 60s and 65s. Every airstation is different on the length of time it takes to make flight mech. Flight mech is a qualification that basically certifies you to operate the rescue hoist for our missions. Immediately after a school you'll work on basic aircrew or better known as BA, and this roughly takes you 6 months. You have to be a BA to advance from AMT3 to AMT2. Therefore, unless you come across a medical condition during or after a school, you will fly. Once you're a BA you'll either start your flight mech syllabus or go on a waiting list. The reason for the waiting list is due to the high demand for training flights for current and upcoming flight mechs.
    Ulysses

--
    15 Jul 2016 12:11 AM
    First, thank you to everyone on this site who has been answering my questions. You have all helped me immensely.

What is the typical tour length at each air station before PCSing? I know some helos go out on cutters for a period of time, do any other frames go on extended trips, specifically fixed wing?
    cgdad2

--
    23 Dec 2016 08:02 AM
    Do any of you know of a study guide to read prior to entering AMT 'A' school?   Is the test the same as the FAA AMT test?  Thanks in advance

rico

--
    28 Dec 2016 01:03 PM
    The tests are not the same. Also, there is not just one "test" during A-school. There are multiple. Everything you will need to know to pass the required training is taught while in A-school. This is done purposefully so that somebody with zero knowledge of aviation or mechanics can come in and be a newly trained AMT in 6 months. Once at your first aviation unit you'll find that a lot of people group together to study and take the FAA A&P test.
    MaxxS

--
    24 Jun 2017 09:13 AM
    What kind of limitations are set for a non-rate to work on and earn quals while waiting for their AMT A School? If there is a 12 - 18 month wait list, what opportunities would someone have to get as many quals towards AMT as they could?
    MaxxS

--
    24 Jun 2017 10:09 PM
    Whats the process of being assigned to a unit out of A school in comparison to being assigned your first unit out of basic? Do you have more or less say in where you might be stationed? Also has anyone worked or known someone who has worked at OPBAT?
    rico

--
    20 Jul 2017 03:59 PM
    To answer both questions:

1. As a non-rate, there aren't any quals that will be needed to be an AMT until you actually get to A-school.  Your focus out of boot camp is to become fully qualified at your unit, put your name on the A-school list and get your flight physical completed.  After that, wait it out while you move up the list and do your best to stay out of trouble.  Complete your E-4 EPME requirements before going to school to make your life easier. 

You should show a strong work ethic, and once qualified, you can ask your command to send you TDY to an air station to check it out. You will get to shadow an AMT and see what they do on a daily basis. 

2. A-school picks are sort of similar to boot camp in that you have little time from finding out where you're going to when you actually get there. This time period is a a little longer in A-school.  Basically, if there are 20 people in your class then they will give your class 20 picks completely based on needs of the service. Your class rank is determined by test scores while in A-school so it pays to put the time in and study hard. If there is a specific airframe you want, it might not be in your list of picks.  Likewise, if it IS there and somebody else picks it, they may not be willing to trade or give it up. 
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    05 Sep 2017 05:07 PM
    hey guys! havent posted on here for awhile but i just had to come back to ask some questions since everyone was real helpful during my recruiting process.

so ive been at my first unit for a year now and ive decided to go AMT. ive already talked to my chain and im gonna start getting the ball rolling as far as flight physicals and all that go but absolutely nobody at my unit knows anything about the aviation side of things so that brings me here...

my main question is what is A school like? what can i expect to be doing? is it gonna be like bootcamp at all or anything similar? whats the absolute best way to prepare? i owe my success in bootcamp to the more than a year of studying and preparing. i would like to do the same for A school since it IS a long wait anyway (might as well do something productive).

any help would be greatly appreciated!
    mknt

--
    17 Dec 2017 01:45 PM
    Hi everyone! Hoping someone could help me out with this.

My husband is currently a nonrate and he's now qualified and trying to decide which rate he wants to go. He originally wanted to do ME or BM so he's a deckie (SN). However, after shadowing some AMTs he has really taken an interest into pursuing this rate instead. He's hesitant to put his name on the AMT list though because he's worried that him being an SN as opposed to FN will put him at a large disadvantage when A school rolls around. 

I told him A school would be challenging regardless and he may just have to study a little harder but I want him to be able to do a job he enjoys.

Anyone that can say how much of a disadvantage working as an SN would be for him or if it wouldn't be that bad at all? He refuses to talk to any one in his command or any of the AMT's about it/:

Thank you in advance!

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Dec 2017 06:45 AM
    He should not refuse to speak to anyone about it, they have the best knowledge. But honestly, it does not matter at all. Plenty of SN have gone into aviation rates. I'm not sure why he believes an FN would make a better AMT than a SN?? That isn't even logical. If that is where his desire is, that is what he needs to go for. He needs to speak up and ask questions, there is no shame in asking someone superior "Hey, I would like to get your opinion on........"
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    sako_hopar

--
    08 Mar 2018 08:37 PM
    Makes no difference SN or FN in anyway, whatsoever. That should not even be a deciding factor.

---
    Active Forums 4.3