HS-HEALTH SERVICES TECHNICIAN
Last Post 21 Jan 2020 06:39 PM by CPORJM. 132 Replies.
Author Messages
Trusted Member / Administrator
chukles

--
10 Jan 2010 12:17 AM
    HEALTH SERVICES TECHNICIAN (HS)

To view a video of this rate, click here.

Health Services Technicians (HS) provide necessary routine as well as emergency healthcare services in large Coast Guard clinics or small sick bays, ashore or on cutters. Services could include direct medical care for personnel and families; assisting medical and dental officers; performing diagnostic testing, x-rays, and clinical lab tests; prescribing medications; administering immunizations; performing minor surgical procedures, and much more.

Types of Duty:

The first duty station for HSs is usually at large medical clinics where professional supervision from highly qualified medical personnel helps to sharpen the skills needed to succeed. If assigned to independent duty, an HS will provide for all of his or her crew's medical needs. HSs may also be involved in search-and-rescue or medical-evaluation missions.

Training Available:

Begin with 13 weeks of HS 'A' School at Petaluma, CA. Intensive training in anatomy and physiology, patient examination, evaluation and treatment, and pharmacology. Learn the techniques and hands-on skills required to fulfill your duties.

Qualifications:

Desire to help people needing medical and dental attention. Meticulous attention to detail. Pleasing personality and ability to work closely with others. Medical or dental experience is helpful. School courses in practical mathematics, hygiene, biology, physiology, and chemistry are an advantage.

Related Civilian Jobs:

Medical Assistant
    X-Ray Technician
    Medical Laboratory Technician
    Physician's Assistant

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    10 Jan 2010 12:18 AM
    Posts from old HS thread;

noregrets
    Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
    Total Posts : 192 Posted 1/1/2010 7:01 PM (GMT -5)
    I was wondering what information was out there and could be made available other than what is on the gocoastguard.com site pertaining to health services technician? Does anyone happen to know how long the wait would be for A-school? I've finally made the decision to enlist. Thanks!
    Sara

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
    -- Gandhi

"I am a member of a team, and I rely on the team. I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion."
    -- Mia Hamm

OldGuard
    Macie

Date Joined Sep 2008
    Total Posts : 3452 Posted 1/1/2010 7:11 PM (GMT -5)
    Congratulations Sara. I'm sure you will be a great enlisted member and keep working on the OCS thing. You'll get picked up if you still want it. It's just a matter of time! Keep us posted on how things go!
    Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

noregrets
    Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
    Total Posts : 192 Posted 1/1/2010 7:26 PM (GMT -5)
    Thanks, Macie! I hope all is well with you guys! It's really taking a toll on my mother. My dad spent two months in ICU this fall - so his outlook has changed on life a little bit. He's completely supportive and said he just hopes things have changed over the past 30 years. I just worry about him being sick again and me being out to sea or wherever.

I will keep working towards OCS - I'm praying this is a career move. Although, I wouldn't mind an additional nursing degree to hang on the wall.
    Happy New Year!
    Sara

-- Gandhi

"I am a member of a team, and I rely on the team. I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion."
    -- Mia Hamm

LTate
    Polar Roller Mom

Date Joined Nov 2007
    Total Posts : 523 Posted 1/2/2010 7:45 PM (GMT -5)
    Last time I looked at the A school list, the wait time for HS A School was 12 to 18 months. Hope that info helps alittle. I don't think I've ever seen anyone on the board who is going HS or is one but maybe there's somebody out there who can give you more information. Best of luck to you!

Laurie

dshepherd
    Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2009
    Total Posts : 24 Posted 1/3/2010 8:46 PM (GMT -5)
    This is the rating I have basically decided on, but as you know that can change. I looked into it and asked my recruiter and I was told there is two major things that the wait for HS is.

#1-you cannot put your name on the A-School list until you have been at your 1st duty station for 4 months.

#2 -THEN it's a 12-18 month wait. I was told more about 18 though.

Looks like it could be a little over a year to almost two years. That all just depends.
    Headed to Cape May on February 23rd!

noregrets
    Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
    Total Posts : 192 Posted 1/5/2010 7:16 PM (GMT -5)
    Wow. Well, either way, it still sounds good! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to contact my recruiter all week...
    Thanks for all the help, though. I haven't seen anyone HS in the year I've been on here.
    Sara

-- Gandhi

-- Mia Hamm

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Chrisp

--
    15 Jan 2010 12:01 AM
    I am considering going for the HS rate, but I have a few concerns. How typical is this rate for a male, being one I am just curious. Also my guaranteed district is 11, and I noticed the A school is also in district 11, what are the chances that I could be stationed in district 11 after completing A school. Not that it's a big deal, but I was just born and raised on the East Coast and wouldn't mind spending most of my life on the West Coast lol.

Coastie Almostie

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Bored of Desk Jobs

--
    17 Jan 2010 06:56 PM
    Don't worry about the male:female ratio of HS. I was attending school for dietetics prior to considering enlistment in the CG, and being a male in a female dominated field is quite advantageous.

There is always a chance you can stay in district 11.

It all begins February 16th 2010!

" height="200" width="200" quality="high" loop="infinite" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgiP1_Prod_Version=Shockwaveflash">

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    17 Jan 2010 09:11 PM
    Gender has no bearing on what rates are available to you, or your opportunities within that rate. If you want to be an HS, do it. If you want to spend sometime in D11, if it's available in "A" school put it on your dream sheet.

"When you fall on your face you are still moving forward."

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    17 Jan 2010 10:34 PM
    our little clinic has one girl, rest are guys.

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. -John 15:13

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    noregrets

--
    18 Jan 2010 12:44 AM
    From what I've found, in an attempt to research, there is no bearing on either male:female. If anything, just on my research, I have found more males .... however, there really is no surprise when considering the ratio on enlisted personnel.

Sara

-- Gandhi

"I am a member of a team, and I rely on the team.  I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion."
    -- Mia Hamm

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Bored of Desk Jobs

--
    18 Jan 2010 03:51 AM
    More males makes perfect sense. The CG is comprised mostly of males, therefore more males can (and do) go into HS.

It all begins February 16th 2010!

" height="200" width="200" quality="high" loop="infinite" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgiP1_Prod_Version=Shockwaveflash">

Chrisp

--
    19 Jan 2010 03:56 PM
    Thanks a lot everyone. I appreciate it.

Coastie Almostie

echo

--
    19 Jan 2010 10:13 PM
    What are your thoughts on HS rate vs. going into a medical career in another branch? Especially considering the long waiting list for HS
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    19 Jan 2010 10:22 PM
    If your sole motivation is a career in a medical field of some sort then, as you infer, you might get there quicker in another branch. However, if you are specifically interested in the Coast Guard, then anything worth having is worth waiting for. Or, at least, that's what my dad always said...
    Chrisp

--
    21 Jan 2010 03:57 AM
    Will I have to give full physicals in HS?

Coastie Almostie

WCSU1987

--
    12 Mar 2010 11:29 AM
    Do HS’s typically go along on patrols, believe that I the right term, on a station or a cutter?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    12 Mar 2010 11:54 AM
    HSs aren't typically assigned to Small Boat Stations. If you are assigned to a Cutter as an HS you will get underway with the cutter. Who else is going to stitch the MKs back together? The BMs? Not likely...

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

- Mark Twain

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    vikolator1

--
    22 Mar 2010 05:15 PM
    MY son has been in the CG for around 1 year he finished BC in april 09 as a e3 got all his quals done and was able to fill out the a school papers and he put in for HS A School this took him about 4 to 5 months Remember he was a e3 at BC graduation he is in for 6 years..
    so now hes on the HS A School list since aug. I belive of 09 he has just now moved up to 76 on the list started around 140 something this class is very slow to get into and promotians are also very slow compaired to other rates... But their is a reason for this
    People who go into this rate dont leave that should tell you something about the job.
    after A School most go to some kind of hospital or clinic usually for around 2 years their first duty station most hs dont go on a cutter or on their own so to speak intill they either make HS2 or HS1 and or have completed C School At least thats the information I have been led to belive ...
    I hope this helps with some of the questions some of you may have...
    willekg

--
    18 Feb 2011 10:53 AM
    Does anyone know if previous healthcare service prior to enlistment can boost your name on this list? For example I am an emt for 4 years now and I am strongly considering enlisting,i am also currently registered to start paramedic school in a few months here. So my question is I guess, would the extra paramedic training help boost my name on the hs list or does either emt or paramedic training not matter for coast guard hs? Thank you
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    18 Feb 2011 11:03 AM
    Prior medical training does not help when it comes to "the list". Everyone waits their turn when it comes to "A" school lists for all ratings.
    coastie43

--
    18 Feb 2011 02:39 PM
    I'm really thinking about HS but I dont deal with blood very well. On the other hand I might be able to get over that. I'm just wondering what my duties would mostly be. I think this is a smart rate to go into because it directly relates to a growing field in the civilian world. Any tips/advise/knowledge would be great.
    willekg

--
    19 Feb 2011 02:48 PM
    What is hs1 and hs2 as well as"c" schools?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    19 Feb 2011 05:59 PM
    HS = Health Services. The 1 & 2 refer to rank... Petty Officers 1st & 2nd class. "C" school is something you do after completing your A school to continue to advance your knowledge for your rate. I hope that explains it.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    willekg

--
    19 Feb 2011 06:22 PM
    it helps very much thank you. so then does "c" school for hs advance your rate in a certain section of hs. for example advance into a specialty of hs such as dentistry or pharmacology?
    PaulReck

--
    30 Mar 2011 12:37 AM
    Yes. C-Schools provide additional training for the Health Services Technician. Some examples of these schools are:

Pharmacy Tech
    Independenty Duty Corpsman
    BioMed Repair Tech
    Preventive Medical Tech
    and others.

HSC
    willekg

--
    03 Apr 2011 03:43 PM
    anywhere there is a list of the "c"schools/specialties?
    coastalbreeze

--
    29 Jul 2011 01:54 PM
    Hello, I was curious about the HS rate. I was wondering if it was possible to specialize in a certain field of the rate? I've noticed some other branches of the military do it, i was wondering if the coast guard did aswell. I would like to (if possible) specialize is physical therapy, if it is possible, what would this be called? Thanks for your time
    PaulReck

--
    30 Jul 2011 02:27 PM
    For some reason, my last post here was erased. Moderator, if there was some protocol broken by my answer, please do me the courtasy of shooting me a PM.

Anyway, as I stated earlier, there is a Physical Therapy C school that the Coast Guard sends folks to. There are not many billets that require this speciality and enrollement in the physical therapy school will depend upon the needs of the clinic to which you are assigned.

HSC
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Jul 2011 03:23 PM
    Chief, If a post was erased it had to be just a glitch in the system. The only time I delete something is a duplicate or someone hocking knock off designer bags, vacation deals, nikes at discount prices... any of the spam garbage. I would never delete a helpful post. Again, probably just a glitch somewhere, I'm sorry about that. Please let us know if it happens again.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    muellerk20

--
    05 Aug 2011 08:36 PM
    does anyone know at what point during hs a school do they find out their next duty station?
    oljarhead

--
    17 Aug 2011 11:39 AM
    Posted By PaulReck on 30 Mar 2011 01:37 AM
    Yes. C-Schools provide additional training for the Health Services Technician. Some examples of these schools are:

Pharmacy Tech
    Independenty Duty Corpsman
    BioMed Repair Tech
    Preventive Medical Tech
    and others.

HSC

This question in directed at anyone that may know the answer. My daughter is currently speaking with the AF, however I've always been impressed with the CG, even as a MARINE. Anyways, she's really hell bent on beinga physical therapist, so thats what she;s talking to the AF about doing (enlisted to officer route). My question is does the CG offer PT as an advanced training option in HS?

Thank You,
    Chris
    JayMed

--
    29 Oct 2011 07:39 PM
    Quick question. Are health services technician jobs the same as medical assistant jobs? Thanks

Jay
    stonecold176

--
    31 Oct 2011 07:42 AM
    I can tell you my wife is set to graduate HS "A" school in a few weeks. She was a Paramedic going into the Coast Guard and feels the school is in her words, "very basic medical skills". However with that said, she helping many of the students with the school who are struggling with the material. So with her being experienced in the medical field, this class would be far more challenging for someone just entering the medical field. The first part of the school is obtaining your EMT National Registry.
    willekg

--
    29 Dec 2011 11:03 PM
    is there a part of the HS that is geared more towards the paramedic field? similar to say the SWAT/Tactical Medic field or general emergency medicine like a navy coreman?
    megacomp

--
    06 Feb 2012 04:35 PM
    I am looking to do HS, my husband is a SK and I leave for boot camp in May. Is the wait still around 18 months and also the chances of us being colocated with these rates?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    06 Feb 2012 04:46 PM
    The CG will attempt to keep you together. However it will always be needs of the service.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    pilotdudeman1

--
    28 Feb 2012 07:41 PM
    is this open to reservists?
    Marmsheimer

--
    29 Feb 2012 01:55 PM
    My boyfriend is on the list for HS. He's only at 78. So hopefully in the next year or so he will be on his way! Any reason the list moves so slow?
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    29 Feb 2012 05:27 PM
    the list moves by the needs of the Coast Guard. Everything from billets, the budget, members in that rating retiring, etc. all play into effect. Each list will have it's time when it's moving slow and times where it flies by. He'll know roughly 2-3 months in advance unless he gets a late spot, someone cancels, etc. and it could be a 1 day notice thing. I had a BM2 that they asked if he could be at A school in 2 days and he went. I got 10 days notice while I was at a C school.
    canoecaptain

--
    25 Mar 2012 12:10 PM
    My daughter will be attending HS A school in January '13. She is a Reservist and we were wondering what the work environment is like for the rate on drill weekend and for annual training? Her slot is at a clinic at a BSU or Sector?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    25 Mar 2012 12:48 PM
    There are only two classes for the next two years, one this year and one next year. One of my roomates is on the list though and she says she moves about 10 spots a month anyway from people getting off the list.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    PaulReck

--
    12 Apr 2012 12:58 PM
    One of my shipmates is attending the next class. She was on the list for about two years.

At my last unit, I had an HS1 reservist who worked for me. During the drills, he assisted me in completing exams and other readiness requirements for his fellow reserve members. During his two week ADT, he assisted me in the office as well as worked on completing his mandated training. Unless a reservist is activated (30 days or more), there is not much outside of what I described that a reserve HS member will be able to do.

If there are any other questions about this awesome rate, please do not hesitate to ask.   If I do not know the answer, I can try to find the answer for you.

HSC Shannon P Reck
    canoecaptain

--
    19 Apr 2012 04:46 PM
    Thanks for your reply Chief Reck, she is moving forward in the process, has her boot and A school ship dates.  She will be starting college in the fall between boot and A school.  She signed up for an A and P class at her college, any suggestions on what to study prior to  A school would be appreciated.  I will encourage her to go visit her unit prior to going to boot.  Her recruiter said he could arrange that.  Her long term goals are to become a physical therapist in the civilian world and to attend OCS with the reserve.  Thank you again for your reply, CC
    PaulReck

--
    07 May 2012 11:48 PM
    Any sort of A&P and etc would be benificial.  The A school is very good at teaching folks with no medical background, so she will have a definite leg up on the average trainee.
    kenny27

--
    12 May 2012 10:09 AM
    I will be trying to get in the coast guard for HS. My question is once your done with "A" School. Can you pick a "C" school to go to? Say if I wanted to do x-rays? I am going to speak with a recruiter on the 6th of June.
    kenny27

--
    13 May 2012 07:36 AM
    Also the recruiter did say the wait is 18 months. Has anyone gotten in faster then that?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bahchic

--
    13 May 2012 10:41 AM
    No you do not get to choose a C school, it is all at the need of your command. So if your unit doesn't need you to do any X-rays then your probably not going. Be prepared to wait at least 2 years to go to HS A school.
    kenny27

--
    19 May 2012 01:19 PM
    Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Browns24

--
    21 May 2012 05:49 AM
    You can always apply to the C school. Your unit will have to approve the request. In your example for x-rays, even if your unit doesnt have a NEED for it, they can still send you. Not all C schools requests are based on need. There are commands who will approve it only if it is needed and there are also commands that are willing to let their people strive for better learning opportunities. The command USUALLY doesn't commit any funding for that member to attend the C school, thats done through another command. It depends on your commands outlook if they would send you or not. If your request is denied, you will be given a reason for the denial.
    kenny27

--
    21 May 2012 08:24 PM
    Thank you for the information.
    PaulReck

--
    13 Jun 2012 11:57 PM
    Sorry Kenny... I just looked at the 15May2012 school list. The anticipated wait time for HS A School is now "More than 36".

Please see the attached link to the latest school list:

http://www.uscg.mil/epm/docs/a-schoollist.pdf

That being said, if you really want to be an HS, stick it out and remain on the list. MANY will drop off of the list seeking a quicker school, which will place you at school in less time than that(more than likely). I waited two years to get to school back in 1994, and I can tell you that it was well worth the wait. It is better to wait for a job that really interests you than to get inpatient and pick something you will end up hating just to get the quick PO rating.

HSC S.P Reck
    kenny27

--
    18 Jun 2012 05:42 PM
    Posted By PaulReck on 14 Jun 2012 12:57 AM
    Sorry Kenny... I just looked at the 15May2012 school list. The anticipated wait time for HS A School is now "More than 36".

Please see the attached link to the latest school list:

http://www.uscg.mil/epm/docs/a-schoollist.pdf

That being said, if you really want to be an HS, stick it out and remain on the list. MANY will drop off of the list seeking a quicker school, which will place you at school in less time than that(more than likely). I waited two years to get to school back in 1994, and I can tell you that it was well worth the wait. It is better to wait for a job that really interests you than to get inpatient and pick something you will end up hating just to get the quick PO rating.

HSC S.P Reck

I have my second meeting with the Recruiter tomorrow. The only thing that worries me is my age because I am 27. They did tell me that once I leave for basic it doesn't matter what the wait is if thats what I really want to do. I'm hoping its somehow 2 years instead of 3. Thank you for the information. I still want to join, just have to do good on the Asvab. 
    Thanks again,
    Kenny
    PaulReck

--
    18 Jun 2012 07:04 PM
    The school list is very fluid.  So many people drop off of the list for one reason or another.  Something to bear in mind is that the wait time is estimated per the number of people on the list, with the assumption that they will all remain for the duration.  Of course, this is not the case.  I have noticed that a name typically moves up three or four(if not more) names a month due to folks changing their minds on the the rating specialty they want to do, get into trouble, or etc. 

Your recruiter is right; if you want to be an HS, wait the time.  Trust me, it is well worth the wait.

HSC
    kenny27

--
    19 Jun 2012 09:24 PM
    Thank you for all the information I really appreciate it. I guess I am worried because I had bells palsy about 5 and a half years ago. It came and went and luckily I got all the feeling back in my face and have had no symptoms since. They sent my paper work to meps today and I asked if that could keep me from enlisting and the recruiter said yes it could. I've been reading through some things stating its a automatic DQ which really stinks if that is the case. I guess I'll just cross my fingers for the week.
    PaulReck

--
    20 Jun 2012 01:45 AM
    I wish you the best!!
    kenny27

--
    20 Jun 2012 09:01 AM
    Thanks again!!
    chekkers0

--
    25 Jun 2012 07:21 PM
    I am planning on going HS and to my understanding most HS3's out of A school will go to a clinic somewhere to gain more skill and knowledge. What do their roles usually look like at a clinic and what type of duty rotation do they normally run?
    longtimewaiting

--
    12 Jul 2012 05:35 PM

Would anyone happen to know the actual class size for the September convening date?

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 Jul 2012 11:05 AM
    24 Sep, according to the a school list... 25 a/d. There is a link in the faq section to the a school list. You can find a lot of answers there.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    kenny27

--
    18 Jul 2012 11:37 AM
    Can you be assigned to a Helicopter as a HS after all of your training is complete? Thanks for any input.
    Kenneth
    PaulReck

--
    18 Jul 2012 01:32 PM
    If you are able to be assigned to a clinic at an Air Station, you may be allowed(on your own time) to qualify as an aircrewmember. Doing this may make you a part of the aircrew duty schedule. You are not assigned to a helo. Once you transfer, you can still find yourself at a normal clinic or a cutter. You are not permanent aircrew, like an AST.
    kenny27

--
    18 Jul 2012 02:16 PM
    Thanks for all the help Paul. I'm just asking as many questions as possible to get all the answers. Once I'm in I plan on staying in until they tell me to retire. Just seeing what all the different ratings have to offer and what you can specialize in.
    beckj12

--
    03 Oct 2012 08:50 PM
    I just wanted to echo a previous question from another poster above; does the CG have any type of position or role with in the HS rate in the way of emergency medicine/paramedic? More specifically does this exist in a tactical/LE roll? This seems to be common in the civilian law enforcement side of things. Would a boarding team have someone filling this role or is this just not really how things are done?

Thank you in advance,
    Drew
    Pro Patria
    SpuddStud

--
    30 Nov 2012 04:05 PM
    I could be wrong, but I believe I read that HS cannot be armed while at the same time performing HS duties.  Something to do with the Geneva Convention I think.  Might be why most front-line infantry now go through Combat Life Saving classes.  I considered being HS but then found out that I probably would not be allowed to participate in boardings.  Where's the fun in that?
    michaelaj

--
    10 Jul 2013 05:28 PM
    Hello,

On the show Coast Guard Florida / Alaska (I can't remember exactly which one it was), there was a scene of a helo flying to rescue an injured man, the helo had a HST on board. My question is, how likely is it to be able to fly with helos if you select HST? Thank you.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Jul 2013 06:38 PM
    Slim, slim, slim. They are generally not on flights. I believe I saw that episode, I don't necessarily like the show so I only half paid attention. I know there was a million and one stars that aligned that she got on the flight. It was Kodiak and she came over from the Rockmore King Clinic on base. The other to consider most places with HS's aren't near AirSta's, most AirSta's aren't near medical clinics. You see the conundrum.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    michaelaj

--
    12 Jul 2013 02:22 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm guessing that the rescue swimmers provide the first aid.

I'm also guessing then from your reply that these shows aren't always realistic...
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    12 Jul 2013 02:34 PM
    The shows are realistic, but only show a very small picture of what's involved in CG operations.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Jul 2013 03:41 PM
    What gears said. Just don't like how it focuses on one aspect, to hell with the rest.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    13 Jul 2013 10:40 AM
    Out of all the rescue helos I've worked with in 2 years, I think we may have 2 that had an HS on board (1 of those was the one you saw on the show), and Kodiak sends them up "more that most places" because we have the clinic and the airsta in the same place. I talked to a guy at one point whose wife was an HS and she was trying to stay in Sitka because it was one of two units in the CG with "flying HSs". Alaska is a weird bird when it comes to those things because the AOR is so huge with very few hospitals in all of it.

So, just to echo everyone else, I won't count on ever getting to fly in your career unless the stars align just right. What usually happens is the ASTs do their thing while getting instruction from a flight surgeon on the ground if necessary.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    wilburns2

--
    11 Aug 2013 01:13 PM
    Hello Everyone,

I'm very interested in the HS field and have a couple quick questions. First, as a non-rate is it possible to “strike” into the HS rate? Second, if so what avenue would have the best opportunity to do so? I’m thinking in terms of going to a specific station or cutter. And third, if it’s not possible at all, which option would at least give me the most opportunity for working with other HS members? Any and all thoughts on this subject are greatly appreciated.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    zachw88

--
    11 Aug 2013 02:08 PM
    You cannot strike HS. The only strikable rates are BM and MK I believe, but I'm sure someone will be along to clarify that for certain and give you some more information in regards to the rest of your question. However, I do know for a fact you cannot strike HS.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    11 Aug 2013 02:47 PM
    Large cutters and Sectors has HSs. As a nonrate you won't be working for them.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    11 Aug 2013 10:17 PM
    Posted By FloridaGirl on 13 Jul 2013 11:40 AM
    Out of all the rescue helos I've worked with in 2 years, I think we may have 2 that had an HS on board (1 of those was the one you saw on the show), and Kodiak sends them up "more that most places" because we have the clinic and the airsta in the same place. I talked to a guy at one point whose wife was an HS and she was trying to stay in Sitka because it was one of two units in the CG with "flying HSs". Alaska is a weird bird when it comes to those things because the AOR is so huge with very few hospitals in all of it.

So, just to echo everyone else, I won't count on ever getting to fly in your career unless the stars align just right. What usually happens is the ASTs do their thing while getting instruction from a flight surgeon on the ground if necessary.

Having been stationed in Sitka I can say that HS's flew there to supplement the AST rotation.  Also anyone, regardless of rating, can supplement the ASTs.  If you have been to EMT school, you can complete the PQS and become qualified to fly.  It is rare but I have seen people sent to EMT school for that very purpose.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    11 Aug 2013 10:38 PM
    You can strike BM, MK, SK, and DC. And FS.

You would want to request a job at medical. At a ship you could talk to your command about working with the HSs and Doc. It could be on your off time but its better than nothing.
    wilburns2

--
    12 Aug 2013 02:40 PM
    Bells, when you say, "request a job at medical", are you refering to my "dream sheet" request?? And are there specific medical stations available? I definitely appreciate all the input, thank you everyone.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    12 Aug 2013 03:17 PM
    She means if you have Corpsman at your unit ask your command if you can work alongside them. You can't request a job in medical.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    12 Aug 2013 03:58 PM
    Hmmm, probably what happend is if u end up at a big sector, and you show interest in HS, your command might be able to put you inside the clinic. The nonrates there mostly answer phones and schedule appointments but at least you are in the environment. Other than that larger cutters would be your best bet until you get to a-school
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Lance

--
    12 Aug 2013 06:26 PM
    I had 6 years of being an EMT in one of the worst cities in California, when I first reported to my 210 as a non-rate they got wind of that and they stuck me with the HS in BDS for every ship board emergency. There were multiple times I got out of silly deck work. I'm not sure how a 270 or the other large cutters have their sick bays but the HS loved having a extra hand while underway.

JB- when were you in Sitka? Never heard of "supplementing" us AST's. Not even sure how this is possible with the Tango vision at all the 60 units. Either way, I would like to hear more about this. With all this Striking talk... I was told in my Airman Program if I could climb a 50ft rope with my legs only and no arms I could strike AST... I chose the A-School route.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    12 Aug 2013 07:17 PM
    To have the rescue swimmer qualification you have to be a nationally registered EMT. As an EMT at an air station, the flight surgeon is allowing you to operate under his license. Its more cost effective to have an AST or somebody who already has their NREMT and BA Qual to fly on flights that need medical attention rather then send somebody else to EMT school and then train them to be Basic Aircrew. Technically everybody supplements everybody while on a flight. Together, we complete the aircrew. Jerry Maguire said it best. "You complete me" So yeah Lance, If somebody has been trained as a BA they can supplement the AST on a flight. Shoot, another survivor can supplement the AST on a flight. "Throw some gloves on and put pressure on this bandage". Supplemented.
    On a side note, I'd like to see somebody climb the rope with just their legs.
    fieldmedic

--
    13 Aug 2013 11:00 AM
    Posted By FloridaGirl on 13 Jul 2013 11:40 AM

We actually have more than just two clinics that have AMS HS's.

Take for instance Air Station Astoria. We have a clinic right on the base and its an option we allow HS's to pursue. They can either pursue AMS and earn flight pay or not. It is up to them. When there is a medivac the flight PA, flight surgeon or AMS HS goes.  This is how it has been for some time. Of course it will be up to the SMO of the clinic to let you fly as an HS. This is Coast Guard wide not just Astoria. Also keep in mind for an HS to be AMS qualified, not only do they have to be EMT-B but they also have to have a current ACLS card.

That being said depending on your skill level and confidence as an HS in the AMS realm, you could fly once a month or once every couple of months, not "if the stars align just right." You also have to maintain a certain number of hours to earn your flight pay. Trust me the LCPO of the Air Station will be contacting you to get your hours. Otherwise you loose that extra pay.
    markhenry

--
    15 Sep 2013 08:35 AM
    I was an HS in 1995. It has paid dividends in the real world although it at times was a battle. I have no regrets about my choice and the training you'll get is second to none. Anyone chasing an HS "A" school cert. is destined for success.
    markhenry

--
    15 Sep 2013 08:38 AM
    HS is ALL about blood, either in a tube or on the ground.  You'll have to think about your reservations.
    Mace

--
    12 Feb 2014 11:13 PM
    I'm a nationally registered Paramedic, how does this compare to the HS scope of practice? Also, I understand that many AST's are EMT's, are any of them Paramedics too?

I'm going for AST and I'm hoping that I'll be able to use my Paramedic training, especially if there are medics working in the rate. Thanks in advance!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Lance

--
    19 Feb 2014 03:46 PM
    As a AST we have to hold a minimum of EMT-B. Your paramedic skills will be used A LOT more as a AST. There's a handful of ASTs that are paramedics. I have only seen one HS that's a paramedic.

HS are all EMT-b with IV training. Think of it as more hospital care. Then prehospital care.
    Mace

--
    21 Feb 2014 12:28 AM
    That's what I thought. I love EMS so I want to be able to use my skills in the Coast Guard, I'm glad I'll be able to use them as an AST.
    Ry2134

--
    21 Apr 2014 10:54 AM
    Is it true that the wait for hs a school is around 4 years
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Apr 2014 01:06 PM
    If you look in the FAQ section, you will find the A School list and that will tell you the expected wait time for A School. HS currently shows at "more than 36 months". They are also taking rather large classes for the next 2, 30A/d and 28 A/D. However, with 202 people currently on the list, it will take a while to get through it.

If it's worth having, it's worth waiting for.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    jshaw

--
    23 Jul 2014 12:58 PM
    I recently got my orders to Aschool and my husband is going to move out to Petaluma for the six months I'm there and I was just wondering if anyone has some good information on places he could rent for such a short amount of time? Thanks!
    Pandroshchuk

--
    13 Mar 2015 08:02 PM
    I will be graduating as a national level paramedic in 2 months. I plan to go the AST route to gain experience and increase my chances as a flight paramedic in the future as a civilian.

Will the coast guard allow me to maintain a paramedic certification? For those of you that aren't familier with this, maintaining a paramedic cert costs time and a lot of effort. So I guess the question is, will the coast guard be at all interested in me maintaining it (refresher every 2 years), will I have to do it on my own time, will I have enough of my own time for continuing education that the USCG may not even be interested in using?

I'm trying not to repeat previous questions, I know that ASTs are EMT-Basics, and I know that there are some that have a paramedic level cert, but do they use it? with AST being a BLS provider, can you legally even operate as an ALS provider? Or should I be looking into HS rating for such experience.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    14 Mar 2015 11:16 AM
    AST's have all transitioned to EMT now. As an AST you are practicing under the medical license of the flight surgeon at your unit. It is up to that flight surgeon if he wants to let you practice as a paramedic. The other issue with that is where will you get all the gear to practice as a paramedic? Do you want the Coast Guard to buy new gear for you? Will you be on a 60 or 65? If you're on a 65, where will the extra gear fit? How much does it weigh? You will most likely have to cover the cost of your paramedic CEU's. We do our own CEU's for EMT and the recent is covered by the Coast Guard. If there is any extra stuff for paramedic, you'll probably have to get that done on your own time. They might give you permissive orders but it'll be on your own time most likely. Another thing to think about is if you're going to be an AST and a paramedic, probably about 1% of your time will be spent doing paramedic duties depending on the unit. You will not get much practice as a paramedic if you're standing duty as an AST.
    Out of the cases I have had as an AST, maybe 1 of them would have used paramedic skills but we ended up bringing a nurse so I guess it doesn't really matter.
    All that being said, paramedic skills will most likely be used more as an AST than an HS throughout a career.
    The Coast Guard isn't going to keep you from maintaining your paramedic certification, but it just might not be practical for you to use it all the time. You can pick up an extra shift with an ambulance company nearby if the command allows. You might use paramedic skills more up in Alaska or maybe the gulf where you are doing more medevacs but you just never know.

Pandroshchuk

--
    18 Mar 2015 12:26 PM
    Okay, so in that aspect, it's similar to the civilian side of emergency medicine. Typically for us, the medical director is an Emergency Room physician, whereas the USCG uses one of their own flight surgeons. 
    However, you don't necessarily need additional gear to perform advanced skills. For the most part, the level of knowledge and skills to recognize early the onset of specific emergencies is the paramedic's most useful tool. The difference between an EMT and Paramedic is, can I do something about it now? As an EMT, you are trained to never deviate from protocol, as opposed to Paramedics, who are trained to differential diagnose, then adjust and justify your treatment.
    Also, somebody suggested earlier that ASTs are EMTs who are trained on IVs, do you know if that's true? I mean, it's definitely a huge step towards IV therapy with warmed fluids. That alone is the most effective way to treat hypothermia and shock.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that medicine is not the mission, it's not your primary function. I'm new to the military side of things, and to say it intrigues me is a HUGE understatement.

On the other hand, I spent 2 years and a lot of money to obtain a paramedic license, and it would be a shame to have to let it go, and then go through it all again. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to do it if I was told to, just hoping there is a way around it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Lance

--
    18 Mar 2015 07:24 PM
    Your biggest issue would be getting a Flight Surgeon to allow you to to do ALS and I've only heard of it not happening one time. The Swimmers up in Sitka are EMT-I (now advance EMT's) and have a larger scope w/ IV's, advance airway etc. I do see IV's coming into the EMT-B scope one day and/or the CG allowing Swimmers to start lines... one day... If you really want to practice medicine you might wanna go for a Flight Medic gig. Trust me, Im all about the medical side of our job, and was a EMT-I before I joined, I lapsed while I was a non-rate and now I'm a EMT-B. There have been 1 case and a couple of MEDEVACS that I wished I could start a line and get fluids in them but the majority of rescues we have are all about getting the survivor higher level of care as fast as we can, its just is what it is. I have heard that once you are NREMT-P your license will go into a "Military hold" if you are not practicing at that level and all you'll need is a medic refresher coarse to get out of that hold, again its what I heard from a Swimmer who is set to retire this June and has been a medic for 18 years. Get into the CG, make it through Swimmer school and I'll get you in touch with the guys that are paramedics.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TriMan1991

--
    16 May 2015 03:58 PM
    Would an HS be able to be a boat crewman? or BTM/BTO? I want to get into emergency medicine in the CG (was a volunteer FF/EMT prior to the CG).
    “A ship in harbor is safe — but that is not what ships are built for.”
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    zachw88

--
    19 May 2015 03:25 AM
    "Would an HS be able to be a boat crewman? or BTM/BTO? I want to get into emergency medicine in the CG (was a volunteer FF/EMT prior to the CG)."

Technically yes, but it would be extremely unlikely due to numerous factors. To the extent that really isn't going to happen in your HS career. However, you can be crewman or BTM while a non-rate at a station or cutter. Station definitely more so. On my cutter (378') boat crew and BTM were not required for non-rates, but you could pursure them on your own time. At the station I am at now, as with almost all stations, non-rates are required to become crewman and BTM's. E-4's and above become BO's. While these are definitely awesome qualifications, they aren't necessarily huge ones to base your career off of if you are interested in the emergency medicine field. You could obtain them at a station as a non-rate, experience what it is like, then move on to HS.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TriMan1991

--
    19 May 2015 04:17 AM
    Thats the problem, I don't know much about those quals and as much as I would like to do them I need to be a petty officer, I am currently a non-rate at an ANT
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    zachw88

--
    19 May 2015 05:33 AM
    "Thats the problem, I don't know much about those quals and as much as I would like to do them I need to be a petty officer, I am currently a non-rate at an ANT"

Do you guys not get crewman qual'd at the ANT as a non-rate? I assume you do for specific boat platforms, such as the TANB and other platforms you guys use, right? A crewman qualification, of course, is going to mean different things and put you in different situations depending on what asset you get qualified in. A TANB is different than a 47' MLB. You won't be doing SAR, towing etc. but you'll still get a crewman qual. You can awlays express interest in going after crewman/BTM qualification to your superiors. In reality, though, it is just the nature of the CG and the priorities of the mission at hand at your unit. At an ANT there just may not be need for a BTM, so they aren't going to push you to get qualified as one. Not every billet offers the same opportunities, it is the nature of the work. I really wanted to do boat crew/BTM when I was on the 378', but in the year I was there it was next to impossible to get those quals, as we were so busy and they weren't doing training to get members qualified. I was definitely jealous of my friends at stations that not only got the crew/BTM exeperience, but that it was required of them, while I was busy overhauling the cutter in drydock for 5 months. Also, you only need to be a Petty Officer to be a BO, unless you mean specifically at your unit. You can always choose a job that will definitely require you to become a crewman/BO (such as BM or MK) but I wouldn't suggest making your career choice off of those qualifications alone by any means.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    19 May 2015 01:50 PM
    There isn't a whole lot of emergency medicine in the Coast Guard besides AST's and a few HS's. I'd say that AST's have the bigger chance of being a part of "emergency medicine" and that is only about 5-10% of the job. Chances are a boat crewman won't practice much emergency medicine. If its an actual emergency and you're not insanely close to shore, a helicopter is going to be called out.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TriMan1991

--
    22 May 2015 02:06 PM
    I test for crew in the next two weeks (TANB), being at an ANT I don't have a chance to do LE or SAR... so no BTM, range trips, etc. which is making it hard for me to choose a rate... being an EMT before the CG I was looking into HS, but it seems as an HS I'll most likely be in a clinic ashore when I would like to eventually get a permanent boat forces (or cutterman) pin and help save lives in the field.   

Similar to what you said, I am very jealous of my friends who are boat crew, tactical crew, and responding to boaters in distress, and of my friends who are on white hulls traveling to various islands doing migrant interdiction and counter drug work.  being at an ANT and AToN is great, but it is leaving me with more confusion as to what I want to do in the coast guard since I don't get to see rates other than a few (BM, MK) and of those rates I only see a small part, no LE or SAR which is a big part of the coast guard. 

So I am very confused as to what rate to go, HS looks great, being trained as a CG EMT and the possibility of being an independent duty corpsman on a cutter would be awesome. But I'm pretty sure going HS takes away the chance of doing law enforcement, sar, and being at a station.  Just trying to feel out the rate and see what opportunities I would have outside of being a medical assistant in a clinic. I left a desk job for the CG and would prefer to be outside of a cubical... 
    tsmoore88

--
    09 Jul 2015 10:04 AM
    I am thinking about going HS, does anyone know what kind of billets a HS3 has available to them?

Specific locations would be great if anyone knows of any. From my time in boot camp I do know that there are HS billets in Cape May, but where else could I possibly go out of A school?
    God, Country, Family
    "Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day."
    DeFreitas

--
    12 Oct 2016 10:39 AM
    Hello Kenny,

I am a former flight medic (Aviation Mission Specialist), who had the opportunity to be assigned to Kodiak right after "A" School. I would recommend you to attempt, if available, to go to one of the following clinics: Kodiak, Sitka or Cape Cod. There you will be able to go through a more formal training.

As previously mentioned, you will not be a permanent flight medic throughout your endeavors with the Coast Guard, you may very well be assigned to a clinic or in my case, I requested to go back afloat and I was a Independent Duty Corpsman before applying to PA school. Again, your career in the Coast Guard is what you make of it.

v/r
    Felipe De Freitas
    DeFreitas

--
    12 Oct 2016 10:44 AM
    In Alaska your chances are higher. During my time as a Flight Medic in Kodiak, we only had 10 flight medics who were corpsmen flying in the entire Coast Guard. The clinics were you can have the official title of AMS (Aviation Mission Specialist) is Kodiak, Sitka and Cape Cod. Most people attempt to stay between those clinics. However, needs of the service comes first and there is no guarantees that you'll stay flying for your entire carreer.

v/r
    Felipe
    DeFreitas

--
    12 Oct 2016 10:50 AM
    In my experience, being stationed in Kodiak, AK from 2009-2012. HSs who were AMS (Aviation Mission Specialists) were the only ones who were allowed to perform above the EMT-B, despite most of our ASTs being Paramedics. All the AMS HSs were PALS, ACLS, EMT-3s or Paramedics (which the clinic put as through the courses).

v/r
    Felipe
    Roseysj

--
    17 Oct 2016 10:30 PM
    Hey guys, I am currently a seaman awaiting orders to hs a school. Can anyone tell me which potential billets are closest to nyc besides cape may as a hs3. Thanks

God speed 
    Semper p
    tsmoore88

--
    18 Oct 2016 04:37 AM
    Roseysj, You can look up billets for HS3 using the EPAL feature in CGBI. You can filter by state or just type in HS3 and it will display all of the HS3 billets.
    God, Country, Family
    "Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day."
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Oct 2016 10:45 AM
    Please keep in mind when doing that, those billets might not even be on your list of picks. What is offered at A School, isn't necessarily what's available on the HS3 billet list. There might not be any East Coast, or North East Coast, billets for your choices. You'll just have to wait and see what is available when you get your picks. Then hope you get the pick you actually want. There are no guarantees on that either.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    BenFnG

--
    29 Oct 2016 08:35 AM
    how similar is HS to the other branches enlisted medical personnel? Does the coast guard have EMS services or is that all done by the local agencies? I've read that IDCs can be assigned to the high speed units, are any HS's eligible for the cool guy units or are those strictly available to GM and BMs?
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    29 Oct 2016 09:23 AM
    Whats a cool guy unit?
    BenFnG

--
    29 Oct 2016 09:54 AM
    DSF units, lots of guns and toys.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Lance

--
    29 Oct 2016 02:19 PM
    Lots of guns and toys...we must not be talking about the same Coast Guard 😉
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    29 Oct 2016 07:52 PM
    I think you're a cool guy Lance. What unit are you at right now? Now thats a cool guy unit!
    Dont sweat it.

--
    08 Jan 2017 05:41 PM
    The only cool guy unit for HS? The black fleet in Hawaii, and Guam.

slawter1030

--
    08 Apr 2017 05:34 PM
    so i was an HN in the navy really enjoyed the concept of helping people but i ended up getting stuck in a windowless factory making glasses please someone sell me on becoming an HS
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    08 Apr 2017 10:17 PM
    I thought you were transferring from the navy to be an IS and wanted to come in at the top of the IS list? I'm not too sure its any of our best interest to sell you on a job in the Coast Guard. I think that is something best discovered by you. If you have specific questions about a rating we will all do our best to answer those.
    slawter1030

--
    10 Apr 2017 01:50 PM
    yes i do want to be an IS but not too comfortable with the idea of being undesignated and at an E-3 even after going to DEPOT
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    10 Apr 2017 01:59 PM
    Unless you're lateraling over to a specific rating, you will be coming in as a non rate and I think at an E-3. The wait time for HS "A" school is 12-18 months as well. If you want to be an IS, then stick it out. I am assuming you are leaving the navy because there is something you don't like about it or the Coast Guard looks more enticing. Don't leave something to settle for your second or 3rd choice. If its what you want, its worth the wait.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    10 Apr 2017 02:17 PM
    The majority of prior service Coasties I've met in the fleet went the nonrate route and waited for the A School they wanted. I realize it sucks taking a drop in pay and responsibility, but people do it all the time inow order to make a career change.
    andresinfante

--
    23 Apr 2017 10:06 AM
    Hi,

I was wondering, are there any certifications/C schools I can get/go to while being in the Coast Guard as an HS that will allow me to be a paramedic/emt or firefighter outside of the Coast Guard?

Thanks.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    23 Apr 2017 11:13 AM
    Your first course that you will take in HS school is EMT. You will have to pass the national registry to get to HS "A" school. Paramedic you will have to do on your own time but it is possible.
    Cute8pie

--
    25 Apr 2017 10:00 AM
    Hi! I'm highly interested in HS. I'm currently a MA. Just wondering, would HS be a guaranteed A school?
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    25 Apr 2017 05:46 PM
    Any "A" school is guaranteed if you meet the ASVAB requirements. As long as you score high enough, you can put your name on any "A" school list and wait. The wait time for HS "A" school is 12-18 months after you put your name on the list. If you do everything correctly, you should be able to put your name on the "A" school list 4 months after you report to your first unit.
    RhondaDenyse

--
    18 Oct 2017 08:41 AM
    My son is enlisting in the Coast Guard and should go to boot camp in early June after graduation. He was initially interested in the MST job for the biology and helping with the environment. After doing more research, we have discovered that MSTs do very little science and spend more time doing paperwork and giving people fines, etc. He has become more interested in the HS rating... however, I don't want him to go in with the moon in his eyes. I have read the job description on the USCG website... but what is that really? It's pretty, but I need some honest information. Could someone go HS and then do some on line courses to get your Associates in nursing (RN) and then look at OCS? Is that realistic? What kinds of places would you be stationed? I just want to make sure that if he goes for only 6 years... he has some transferable skills when leaving. Likewise, if he stays in 20-25 years... I want him to have something that translates to civilian life. I know that is a lot to ask... but surely someone has a little insight.
    BTW, I have explained to him that he will spend time as a non-rate while getting qualified at his first unit. This will be a great time for him to decide what truly interests him. He doesn't have to be dead set on a rate right now.
    OH! One last question... how hard is it to take on line classes (college) while in the USCG? Is it fairly easy to manage the time/responsibilities? Does the USCG assist with tuition costs while serving or does that only begin after you get out? I guess I should know that...
    Thanks!
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    18 Oct 2017 03:50 PM
    Every rating in the Coast Guard has less desirable aspects of the job. I tell people to find the job where you can enjoy or be okay with doing the less exciting stuff on a day to day basis because that is typically what you will be doing. As an AST I do a lot of awesome things but they for sure aren't going to put a picture of me decontaminating a helicopter covered in biohazard on a Coast Guard poster.
    As an HS, your son will probably be doing a lot of paper work and taking Blood pressures/temps for physicals on a day to day basis. He will probably be making phone calls trying to get members to come in on their schedule appointments and sitting around an office . He could be on a boat or at a sector. He could be in a bigger unit or a small remote one. At some point he might have the opportunity to go to Independent duty HS school and he would be the guy running the medical stuff at a small unit. Most of the time he will be under a doc or a PA. He can for sure go to school while he is in the Coast Guard and the Coast Guard will pay for it if he applies for tuition assistance. That is constantly changing but it typically covers 75%-100% of a class or two a semester. It isn't hard at all to take online classes while in the USCG. How he does is dependent on his own intelligence, time management skills, and any other intangibles that come along with work and school. It probably isn't a good idea for him to take classes his first year or so. He will be busy but that is up to him. Probably not a good idea until after he goes to "A" school.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    18 Oct 2017 03:54 PM
    As an HS, there are also a couple of units where he could have flight duties and fly on medical cases with the crews. There are a lot of different options for a lot of different jobs in the Coast Guard and he should have the opportunity to see what the different ratings do on a day to day basis once he gets settled in at his first unit. All HS's have to pass EMT school before they even start HS school and become nationally certified as well.
    RhondaDenyse

--
    19 Oct 2017 12:30 PM
    Thanks for your input... I have done tons of reading and researching (and then printing and sharing with him) and I think his best bet is to have a general idea of mid range and long range goals... but not be nailed down to them. I told him his best bet is to study hard and get ready (mentally and physically) for boot camp this June. Then, get settled in his first unit and focus on getting qualified. Get your name on a list for school... then work hard until his name comes up.
    I think he will want to work on his RN or BSN while in the USCG. That way if he chooses to make a career or get out after he does his time... he has a good skill that will suit him either decision he makes. He likes the idea of OCS at some point... but who knows. I just keep thinking... shoot, you still have to be reminded to clean your room. HA! I think he will be a great Guardsman... but he will always be my kiddo.
    Thanks again!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Oct 2017 12:43 PM
    Rhonda, there is a thing a lot of moms like to say... What we couldn't teach our kids in 18 years, the CG taught them in 8 weeks.

College while on active duty is absolutely possible. My ex husband got his Associates Degree while a nonrate and young 3rd class. He went on to get a Bachelor's and a Master's. He went to OCS. He went to boot camp and retired a Captain with degrees to back up his next chapter in life. Not bad to retire at 52 with 30 years and an Associates, a Bachelors and a Masters and all the benefits of being retired military.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    partyoftwelve

--
    03 Jan 2018 03:27 PM
    Does anyone know the current wait for HS A school?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    03 Jan 2018 06:05 PM
    2-3 years
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    03 Jan 2018 07:13 PM
    Partyoftwelve, if you're asking for your son who is on the AST "A" school list, thats a dangerous road to go down. If your son has any back up plans, he will fail AST "A" school. If he is seriously interested in HS "A" school, any wait time shouldn't keep somebody from doing what they really want to do.
    partyoftwelve

--
    08 Jan 2018 10:01 AM
    NOT AT ALL!

We have a good family friend who's at Cape right now and is interested in HS rating.  She just started with Oscar 195.  Her younger brother graduated in November also.  They're good friends with my son, and I was wondering what her wait time would be.  She'll make a great HS, as she's already and emt/paramedic.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    16 Jan 2018 06:25 AM
    Perfect! Make sure that they all spend some time looking at other ratings as well. Also, the wait times change a lot and can be a lot shorter or a little longer by the time they get out of boot and are able to put their name on a list. Although HS tends to be a little bit of a longer wait time it can shorten quickly and I'm sure you're read on here before, waiting for the job you want is always worth it. Best of luck!
    JAMIE.L.OWENS

--
    12 Sep 2018 11:35 AM
    Can you tell me a little bit about the PA program? I recently put my name on the HS " A" school list. I have considered this path but have not yet met anyone who has become a PA being prior enlisted. V/R
    User17

--
    28 Nov 2018 11:05 PM
    Hello. I am currently a nonrate and I am interested in going HS. I know the wait is long but I was just wondering what a day to day was like at HS A school?
    Thank you
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    06 Dec 2018 05:31 AM
    I'm not an HS but I can tell you a little bit about what I've seen and what the HS's at my unit tell me. First off, It will depend a lot on what type of unit you go to out of "A" school. I am at a larger air station.
    There is an ambulance duty rotation that some HS's are a part of, there is an overnight duty that some are part of, and the ones that are just on a regular work day split up duties. Some just draw blood during physicals all day. Some take the pre screen and give the info to the Doc. Some are at the front desk helping to schedule appointments, and some help out in the pharmacy. I think for the most part, as a new HS, you will be taking vitals, updating charts, and talking to people as they come in and taking SAMPLE history and whatnot.
    StanC

--
    21 Jan 2020 06:32 PM
    Can anyone point me to the current A-School list. TIA
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    21 Jan 2020 06:39 PM
    Posted By StanC on 21 Jan 2020 07:32 PM
    Can anyone point me to the current A-School list. TIA

It's not on the CG's public facing website.  Intranet only
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift

---
    Active Forums 4.3