BM Question
Last Post 23 Feb 2010 07:30 PM by CaptNick. 16 Replies.
Author Messages
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
21 Feb 2010 11:37 PM
    Because Im already I licensed Master and spend 90% of my time on the water, what would be recommend (as far as first duty stations) that would help me work towards BM A-school? Are patrol boats more beneficial (in that aspect) than the bigger cutters?

BM then a coxswain I think would be my best fit. Im sure I can hop on a defender now and be right at home.

I have more seatime running boats and commercial fishing than some people twice my age but I guess it wont matter once I enlist and want to be a BM...

Trusted Member
    E

--
    22 Feb 2010 12:57 AM
    Are you talking about what would be the best unit to strike at or just to non rate at before A school?

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. -John 15:13

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    22 Feb 2010 01:54 AM
    Well I doubt I will get garanteed A school when I enlist, so im not really sure. Doesnt striking take much longer than A school? Are there advantages?

Trusted Member
    E

--
    22 Feb 2010 02:04 AM
    Its almost equal on the time frame, Striking BM I will get boat crew certified and coxswain certified along the way( the pqs for them is a good size chunk of the sign offs to strike BM).

Its a big deal on formal or informal education, everyone has their own opinion. Im striking BM, I was striking it, stopped and added to the IT A school list, but with the state of the A school I'm finishing my Striking to call it a day. Some people strike because they have a family and dont want to leave them for A school. I like my on the job training, getting outside and having someone show me. I can't speak for A school though. Disadvantage of striking is that a lot of stuff I learn is unit specific and specific to how the member teaching you learned it.

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. -John 15:13

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    22 Feb 2010 02:09 AM
    Would be allowed to start striking immediatly once I got to my first duty station? How long would it take, as opposed to waiting for A school (6mo-1yr) then going there for training...

Also, if you strike, does that mean you would remain at that duty station? Or will you still be transferred somewhere else like you would be if you went to A school

Trusted Member
    E

--
    22 Feb 2010 02:22 AM
    You'll have other things to do first. Your job is your priority, striking is in the free time. I had the assumption that I would get time during the work day to strike, I spent a lot of nights studying. Nothing like spending a friday night learning about hull type and chart keeping. It took me the good part of 8 weeks to get qualified, but my qualifications will be different from a station or a big boat. A guy from my company just finished his quals last week which is almost 7 months after graduation. He had to get crewman and some other quals.

You'll stay at your unit that you are at when you strike ( I do question what if you are assigned to a sector if you'll get reassigned). You'll strike, become a SNBM, and wait on the supplemental list to make BM3 where you'll get orders.

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    22 Feb 2010 02:45 AM
    So basically yo you strike BM and get put on a list. Once theres an opening at a unit for a BM, you go there and then you'll be a BM3?

Is striking mostly taking tests? Or is there minimum sea time involved as well?

Trusted Member
    E

--
    22 Feb 2010 03:09 AM
    Striking is just learning the things that you would have at A school.

Example: Plot a position using latitude and longitude as per the Boat Operations and Training(BOAT) Manual, Volume II, COMDTINST M16114.33 (series) Task BCM-06-04-Any, Boat Crew Seamanship Manual, COMDTINST M16114.6, and Bowditch, Pub 9.

You study the task, than show your supervisor and he signs off on it. Each task is like the one above, it states whats expected, and what pubs/articles you'll need to review to master the task.

Only tests you need for BM3 is EPME(required for everyone to make E4), Nav rules/Deck Watch officer, and the end of course test which is basically like a final, pass those, you become a SNBM and you get added to a supplemental list, which is the advancement list, everyone who is a snbm is on the list, every month they advance so many to bm3.

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    22 Feb 2010 03:58 AM
    So is it possible, theoretically because of my background and experience, I would be able to advance rather quickly as opposed to someone whos new to the water?

Not trying to sound like a dick, Im just curious. Ive been employed as a captain/mate for years and can operate vessels up to 50' solo, navigate/plot courses, etc.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    22 Feb 2010 04:15 AM
    You should definitely have a head start on those starting from square one.<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 2/22/2010 4:16:36 AM GMT

Trusted Member
    E

--
    22 Feb 2010 04:28 AM
    you'll finish striking faster but once you're on the supplemental list its just a waiting game.

When you're E3 do you have to have 6 months TIG before you can go on the supplemental list or say you're an E3 with 2 months as E3 can you add to the supplemental list?

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    22 Feb 2010 08:49 PM
    So back to my original question, if I want to strike BM; should I want to be on a cutter, patrol boat, or at a small boat station?

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    22 Feb 2010 09:17 PM
    Yes.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    levyii

--
    23 Feb 2010 03:48 AM
    You won't have much of a choice in boot camp....adapt and overcome

BM3 Levesque, Michelle
    USCGC Rush
    Honolulu, HI

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    23 Feb 2010 05:10 AM
    levyii said...
    You won't have much of a choice in boot camp....adapt and overcome
    Then what should I "request"

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    23 Feb 2010 12:54 PM
    Any CG unit with BMs attached (that would be all of them).

"I have the terrible feeling that, because I am wearing a white beard and am sitting in the back of the theatre, you expect me to tell you the truth about something. These are the cheap seats, not Mount Sinai."

-Orson Welles

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    23 Feb 2010 07:30 PM
    Thanks guys

---
    Active Forums 4.3