Prior Air Force
Last Post 12 Jul 2011 11:15 PM by Love2Swim. 2 Replies.
Author Messages
Love2Swim

--
11 Jul 2011 10:13 AM
    I was in the Air Force for 7 years and 5 months. Initially I joined to become a pararescuman, but upon my arrival to boot camp, I found out that my vision barred me from trying out. I was placed into the open-general pool and they gave me a dental laboratory technician job. It was an interesting job, but didn't enjoy sitting down hunched over a bench making teeth, retainers and dentures all day. Huge difference between what I wanted to do and what I was doing. What stimulated me to leave was a combination of wanting to get out of that job, my wife was(and still is)in the USCG and to see how I enjoyed school. I loved the military and Air Force, but not so much the job and thought that I may move far away from my spouse if two bases/stations are not close to each other--which is always a risk. I opted to get out early and have an Honorable Discharge with an RE-1J code.

Now, I am trying to join the Coast Guard,  because while I was sitting in class, I just didn't like it and the prospect of doing this for the next 7 years didn't bode well. I missed having a mission and the military-type organizational structure. After becoming familiar with what my wife does, it's something that I would enjoy. Even as a non-rate, E-3, I would thoroughly enjoy my experience in the USCG. Plus, I enjoy the ocean and boats, so everything seems win/win. I am a little excited to go through boot camp again too, if I am selected to join.

I do have a small hangup, I am a little frightened by the idea that a foreclosure in my past might jeopardize my entry into the USCG. It occurred when I PCS'd from Alaska to DC and couldn't afford to live in DC with my family and pay for the house in Alaska. I bought my house before the market plummeted and could not find a buyer. Trying to rent it out did not work out and the cost-difference between what someone would pay for rent was not close enough to the mortgage to keep it afloat, especially when you started to consider the cost of a property manager. Almost a year later, the bank foreclosed on my house. I don't owe any money, and I've never so much as missed a credit card payment before and after, so I am hoping that is taken into consideration.

After talking to a recruiter, we did make an appointment to talk, so I am a little optimistic about being able to join. Hopefully, it works out.
    BetioBastard

--
    12 Jul 2011 09:54 PM
    I by no means am an expert in anything but I did have the pleasure of speaking with a few recruiters. I too am prior service and I was told that as a prior all you have to do is a 3 week course and not the 8 week boot camp. Here is a link to what I was told priors do http://www.uscg.mil/hq/capemay/Trai...school.asp You should really do your homework on things and then talk to a recruiter. Some recruiters were lost about certain things and I had to tell them about facts that were on the gocoastguard website. I was interested in CSPI and if your in college you might want to check it out. Why go in as an E when you can go O?! You will be an E while you're in college and once you graduate, you go to OCS and get bling on your collar.

Love2Swim

--
    12 Jul 2011 11:15 PM
    Fortunately, I do not mind going to an 8-week boot camp if necessary. I imagine I would be a pretty good asset to everyone I am going through boot camp with during those 8-weeks, though my wife might prefer that I attend the 3-week course-haha.

I did look at the O-route, but first, I want to try to become an AST. While in the USAF, I trained myself to bone preparing to become a pararescueman, but by the time I managed to get PRK and wait a year, was literally last year and I was no longer in the mindset to be deployed for 200+ days of the year and be shot at. If I feel that I want to become an officer later, I already meet the academic requirements for the physician assistant program that the USCG has and have an interest in medicine.  I would kick myself if I didn't try for AST as it is the type of job I have always dreamt about, something mentally and physically challenging and completely rewarding.

---
    Active Forums 4.3