Any prior army to USCG?
Last Post 07 Mar 2017 12:21 PM by Old Guard2. 4 Replies.
Author Messages
11b2uscg

--
07 Mar 2017 03:30 AM
    Hello all,

I am prior army, infantry. I have been out for about a year, and am working on getting back in. I have already processed with MEPS, came out clean, and blew the ASVAB out of the water yet again. Once an updated conditional release comes back, the recruiter will send off to request a ship date, so I am very familiar with the upcoming process, job selection, etc. I guess my main question is, how do prior army, marine corps etc like the transfer? I worked with a lot of hard charging, competitive A type personalities and enjoyed that aspect. How does the USCG differ, and is it a positive change? 

I've done about as much research as I can, and in large, it seems like most tend to enjoy the USCG much more, the rention rate alone says that. What say you? Are you happy with the change?
    11b2uscg

--
    07 Mar 2017 07:36 AM
    I also want to add that I am rather new here, and rather ignorant to the USCG climate/culture. Take it easy on me haha.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    07 Mar 2017 08:27 AM
    I wasn't active duty in any branch, so I can't speak to your switch except in the general terms that most have transferred to CG have like it. The general consensus seems to be you're given responsibility early, and treated like an adult.

As for posting on here, post away and don't worry. There are no stupid questions. Civility is expected, and the moderators maintain that.
    11b2uscg

--
    07 Mar 2017 11:43 AM
    Thats generally exactly what I have read as well. It sounds great honestly.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Mar 2017 12:21 PM
    We have a couple of prior service folks that check in here from time to time. I've not heard any of them really complain about the switch. Best of luck to you. Thank you for your prior service. Ask away, any and all questions, hopefully we can help. My boyfriend is former Army, we've been together 20 years. I was married to a Coastie, my son is a Coastie. There are still times that old Army boy looks at me and says "What???" because Army to CG, a few things get lost in translation. LOL Just like I can't look at Army stripes and have any clue what rank someone is... For the CG, I can see someone across a crowded room, in the dark and tell you rank and rating if they have the right uniform on that shows the rating badge. HAHA So nothing here is looked at as a silly question. We might jokingly make fun of people, but typically not until after we've helped them.
    Sector NY, Staten Island

---
    Active Forums 4.3