Pro's/ Con's of being stationed on Cutter or boat base
Last Post 24 Sep 2012 02:48 PM by MILROV. 8 Replies.
Author Messages
Hawksbill29

--
05 Sep 2012 08:03 PM

My long term goal is AST, so would being stationed on a cutter or boat base be more benificial to achieving that goal?

P.S. Leaving oct 30th! SO EXCITED!

Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    05 Sep 2012 08:09 PM
    Personally, and this is just my opinion based on my limited experience, but if you become an AST, you won't ever really go back to a cutter or small boat station. So the question is - what do you want to experience?
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    05 Sep 2012 08:15 PM
    AST's could go to a cutter as part of a helo detachment.
    But really, if you wanna go AST, go to a cutter and go for your cutter surface swimmer qual. It's a tough one, and a good way to train for AST A-school.
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    05 Sep 2012 08:24 PM
    Going to a cutter is always beneficial, no matter what you plan on doing in your career.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jni3

--
    05 Sep 2012 11:13 PM
    so would being stationed on a cutter or boat base be more benificial to achieving that goal?

kinda goes back to "why join a sea going service with no intentions of going to sea?"

Going to a cutter is always beneficial, no matter what you plan on doing in your career.

exactly! the uscg needs their people to be more well rounded and know how different resources fit in the mission. trust me, there is nothing like a going to middle or high school and seeing a junior petty officer talk a lot about something they've never done and not being able to answer questions. or better yet, when a young ENS or JG brief at a staff meeting about cutter operations without having sea time. you should want to get out to other units and learn how they do things to get a better understanding.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Plgonzalezrx8

--
    06 Sep 2012 10:59 PM
    IDK of it is the same at stations, but in my cutter we had 3 surface swimmers and they were used quite often and went to a navy facility 2 days a week for like 3 months for a rescue swimming course.
    USCG Sector Command Center Anchorage, Alaska
    Hawksbill29

--
    12 Sep 2012 07:57 PM
    Does every cutter have a surface swimmer? What would the surface swimmers be doing on a daily basis?  Do I have to fill out anything or say anything in basic to say im interested in becoming a surface swimmer? or can I choose while Im a non-rate on a cutter getting my base-quals? 

I leave in 6 weeks and 2 days!!! SO EXCITED regardless of the job!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    13 Sep 2012 07:50 AM
    Yes every cutter should have at least one surface swimmer. My 110 has two. It's not something you'll worry about until you get to your first unit. Once you get your main quals out of the the way you can look into getting surface swimmer qualified.
    On a daily basis you'll still carry out your normal duties like any other non-rate. For some drills, Man Overboard especially, you'll have to dress out in your swimmer gear in a certain/perform certain tasks. Depending on your cutter you may drill more than other personnel. On my cutter, surface swimmers are also responsible for maintaining all of their own gear.
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    MILROV

--
    24 Sep 2012 02:48 PM
    EDIT: You already asked this question in another thread, it has been answered. Multiple posts only create confusion. Please refrain from doing so in the future.

Thanks!

---
    Active Forums 4.3