After boot camp
Last Post 24 Oct 2016 02:14 PM by Gears. 4 Replies.
Author Messages
FilthyEcho1

--
23 Oct 2016 09:12 PM
    hey guys just wondering what stations or cutters in district 7 would be coolest to try to get after boot camp. I'm more or less just concerned about what options I might have. I'm interested in units near Savannah Ga, Jacksonville Fl or Pensacola Fl? Are there many cutters in these areas and if so how long do they go under way?
    HammerheaD

--
    23 Oct 2016 10:10 PM
    I have a buddy who recently got stationed on an 87 out of JAX and he loves it. It was his first pick, and he couldn't be happier right now. I'm about to get stationed at HITRON on the opposite side of town, and it was my first pick as well. Most of the information I've gotten from people on units pertains to aviation, so I might not be a big help in terms of boats or stations down there, but I've heard great things about both Jacksonville and Savannah in terms of the places themselves. I don't know much about Pensacola. I'm sure there are a lot of people who can give you more specific information, but if you get through boot camp, and stay in for even a small amount of time you'll inevitably hear that everywhere in the coast guard is what you make of it. Take that to heart. Have fun.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    23 Oct 2016 10:56 PM
    google is your friend. Go to USCG.mil. Then go to the Our Organization tab. Then click on Atlantic Area. Then area cutters. You will then have a list of all the big cutters that patrol the Atlantic and southern waters. You can do the same thing with the districts.

My son wanted a small boat station in Florida at least that was the plan before he left for boot camp. He ended up on a 210ft cutter out of St Petersburg. So he got Florida.

Drill into the web site and have fun exploring and dreaming.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    24 Oct 2016 08:32 AM
    Please, please, please keep in mind it does not matter what you want, it is needs of the service. You can request Florida/D7 and still end up in Kodiak, Alaska. If you do, don't be disappointed, just roll with it.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    24 Oct 2016 02:14 PM
    Pensacola Fl

Pensacola has the Cypress, which is actually D8, their patrol schedule varies depending on the time of year. I spent about 8 months on board before being transferred. It's a great cutter. D7 is huge and full of cutters, 210's, 270's, 154s', 87's. It's a crap shoot where you end up.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee

---
    Active Forums 4.3