USCG Forum
Requesting a WSML?
Last Post 09 Apr 2019 06:32 AM by Old Guard2. 6 Replies.
Author Messages
RBLaidlaw

--
19 Mar 2019 02:57 AM
    I am currently in the process of enlisting and I am considering what kinds of places I would like to request on my dream sheet in the future. 

I know that I am going to most likely pursue AET as my rate. As cheesy as it sounds, I want the full cutter experience and I would like to be on the “big and badass” ships (I know, it’s childish). This, and my general interest in different ships and how they work, Are why I am considering WSML as a request. Considering that after A-school I wouldn’t be around cutters anymore I would like that experience as a Non-rate to be apart of something like that.

What might be the chances of actually getting on one? (I know there’s about 8 of them currently).

What are people’s experience on one of these cutters? I’ve heard non-rates kind of have a shitty time? Is it worse than any other cutter?

Also, I understand that I would have to live on the ship for a good while until I get qualified and all, what is the living situation on one of these? Keep in mind I am a musician and I am wondering how much I would need to sacrifice during my time on one of these cutters if possible, so I’m mostly wondering about space, noise level, rooms, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    19 Mar 2019 06:32 AM
    If you ask for a WMSL you are very likely going to get one, no guarantees, but the odds are in your favor. As far as life on board, I couldn't tell you, I've never been on one. If you have downtime, which isn't much on a cutter when you're underway you can sit on the flight deck and play music and not bother anyone.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    nengland

--
    20 Mar 2019 09:18 AM
    I enlisted 8 years ago and knew I was going IT. Some ITs are afloat but most are ashore and I too wanted to get a feel for that ship life before getting rated. It felt important for a service that has a sea driven mission. In boot camp they asked us where we wanted to be stationed. I took the piece of paper, wrote a couple districts, and then made the note that I really wanted a cutter. When orders came out I got a WHEC. No regrets. Yes the work sucks and yes non-rates have it rough. That aside it's an amazing experience to be at sea and a great opportunity to be working with the core mission of the service. So while I can't speak to WMSL vs WHEC life I can say that I'm glad I got underway before entering a rating that doesn't often get underway.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    20 Mar 2019 07:42 PM
    About 4 years ago I specifically asked for a NSC in boot camp and didnt get one. They've commissioned quite a few more though since then.
    db207

--
    08 Apr 2019 11:36 AM
    Based on graduating Boot Camp at the beginning of this year, I'd say if you request a WMSL, you're more than likely going to get one! They seem to have a lot of billets available.

Some people love them because they're new and sexy. Other people can't stand them for the menial non-rate labor and being at sea for months. I think if it's what you want, you'll be more likely to go into it with a positive attitude, and that makes all the difference. There are a lot of disgruntled non-rates on WMSLs, from what I hear, and if you're willing to go in with a positive attitude and work hard, you'll probably rise very quickly on that boat and have a lot of fun doing it!

Good luck.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    08 Apr 2019 09:17 PM
    Be prepared to go to a 270 if you request any kind of cutter! My cutter went through non-rates like crazy! Several people from my boot camp company got stationed on a 270 and no one got a WMSL.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Apr 2019 06:32 AM
    My son's first assignment out of boot camp was a 270. He went MANY PLACES, made friends he will have for all of his life and learned a lot! I don't think he would have traded time on the 270 for another boat. He went to a 378 after that and loved that, too. But he loves being underway and misses it terribly!
    Sector NY, Staten Island

---
    Active Forums 4.3