Eligibility - Who can join?
Last Post 05 Apr 2014 07:41 AM by Nightmoves5. 4 Replies.
Author Messages
aferrando

--
31 Mar 2014 07:49 PM
    I found in the FL 5 3 New York website the following: Eligibility - Who can join? Membership is open to all citizens and resident aliens of the United States and its territories who are at least 17 years old and have not had a felony criminal history. This is the page http://uscgauxnyc.org/join.html Can you please confirm Aux Membership requirements are open to residents aliens as well? Thank you
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    01 Apr 2014 07:08 AM
    I had to go to the Auxiliary Manual for this one, and copied the first couple of paragraphs. After reading this and going further into the manual, the answer is unfortunately 'no'.

Introduction The Auxiliary is an organization of uniformed volunteers. Pursuant to
    provisions of this chapter, membership is open to any citizen of the U.S. and
    its territories and possessions who is seventeen years of age or older.
    Membership is predicated on successful completion of the Auxiliary
    enrollment application (including the passing of the New Member Exam),
    and receipt of a favorable (FAV) Personnel Security Investigation (PSI) in
    accordance with the Personnel Security and Suitability Program Manual,
    COMDTINST M5520.12 (series), and paragraph C.3 of this chapter.
    Individuals who hold dual citizenship with the U.S. and another country may
    become members of the Auxiliary. Such individuals whose other country of
    citizenship is one of those specifically identified in Table 2.C of the
    Personnel Security and Suitability Program Manual, COMDTINST
    M5520.12 (series), will not be authorized to pursue a Direct Informational
    (DI) or Direct Operational (DO) PSI nor any of its associated activities.
    Similarly, an Auxiliarist who holds dual citizenship and who pursues a DI or
    DO PSI must clearly indicate in their DI or DO PSI package the willingness
    to renounce their other country’s citizenship if circumstances dictate. Failure
    to so indicate will be recognized by the Director as sufficient grounds to
    immediately terminate the DI or DO PSI process.

Auxiliary membership is open to all U.S. citizens, or those of dual
    citizenship as described above, who are current military active duty or
    Reserve personnel, or veterans of these services who were discharged under
    honorable conditions (see section 3.A.6 of this Manual.

Do you hold dual citizenship?
    DUTY IS DOING IT, PRIDE IS WEARING IT, TRADITION IS LIVING IT. “DUTY FIRST” – CHIEF EDMUND ENWRIGHT, CHICAGO F.D. (RETIRED)
    Nightmoves5

--
    04 Apr 2014 04:36 PM
    I had this very question myself and, after sending a mail to the USCG Aux help desk, received the official reply that the citizenship requirement is being revised and permanent residents are now allowed to join. See excerpt from their mail below:

Since you are a "legally admitted alien", you are authorized to join the Auxiliary. (Until recently, you had to be a U.S. Citizen.)

But, the process for enrolling "legally admitted aliens", is still being developed, so there could be a delay.
    Meanwhile, you may wish to begin communications with one, or more, USCG Auxiliary flotillas. (All members belong to a flotilla, the basic unit of the Auxiliary.)

If you haven’t already, go to the US Coast Guard Auxiliary’s Recruiting page: http://join.cgaux.org/

Then go to http://join.cgaux.org/gouscgaux.php and submit your information, or use the Flotilla Finder (the link is on that page) and your Zip Code to make a flotilla contact yourself.

If you run into any trouble, simply get back to me with your flotilla(s) of choice or Zip Code, and I'll have someone contact you directly.

I suggest that you have a discussion with the FSO-HR (Human Resources) or Flotilla Commander of the Auxiliary flotillas of your choice.

Jan

Jan Robert Munroe, DIR-U
    Director, IT User Support and Services
    U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    05 Apr 2014 07:10 AM
    Nightmoves,
    Thanks for the insight. I dug around (admittedly, I didn't go to the Help Desk). Do you know when the policy will be released?
    DUTY IS DOING IT, PRIDE IS WEARING IT, TRADITION IS LIVING IT. “DUTY FIRST” – CHIEF EDMUND ENWRIGHT, CHICAGO F.D. (RETIRED)
    Nightmoves5

--
    05 Apr 2014 07:41 AM
    Hello Scoutdad,

Apparently this is all brand new and the policy is currently still on hold, pending clarification of the process. Hope soon.

---
    Active Forums 4.3