Aux Questions
Last Post 24 Nov 2014 02:51 PM by VicNaz1. 4 Replies.
Author Messages
MGG_Aux

--
26 Jun 2014 10:44 PM
    Sorry, I'm new to this whole thing. Let's hope I don't screw anything up too bad.

I have a few questions regarding the Coast Guard Auxiliary. I had originally started the process with the reserves but that went awry when, upon reviewing my medical records, they PD'Q me for taking anxiety medication for a few months after my sister died. This was over ten years ago and my recruiter didn't think it would be a big deal but it turned out it was (if I knew what I know now ten years ago I would have never taken the crap and I guess they're not really giving out waivers for this stuff right now??). I'll admit, I was pretty bummed about the whole situation and it wasn't until a few weeks back that I came across the USCG Aux. which piqued my curiosity again.

Anyways, here are my questions:

1. Would my chances of getting accepted into the Aux. be hampered by the fact that I was turned down by the reserves? I've tried to get into contact with my local flotilla for the past three weeks but haven't heard from anybody.

2. With the research I have done, I've learned that there are opportunities to work with the reserves/ active duty guys. How often does this happen? I'm a younger guy with a job that allows me to have the summer off -- so I can dedicate a lot of time to the Aux./ USCG during a good amount of the year. I would love to work on a cutter or UTB if possible.

3. Is there any chance of some day, through hard work, somebody maybe being able to put in a good word about me to higher-ups in USCG to get me into the reserves? Or is that dream effectively over? I have heard of some people getting their feet wet with the Aux. and using that as a spring board to the reserves.

I just feel I have so much offer: I have a Master's, got a 98 on my AFQT, in shape -- all I want is somebody to give me the opportunity to serve my country. I'm hoping that that might happen through the auxiliary.

Sorry for the long-windedness and the newbie questions but I really appreciate the help.

Thanks!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    27 Jun 2014 07:13 AM

1) No, your chances of joining the Aux are not affected by any previous MEPS disqualification. We have disabled members in our Flotilla. All that matters is that you are physically able to do the Aux job you train for. Separately, I don’t know where you live, but you do not have to work with the nearest Flotilla. If there is more than one, try contacting them all and check them all out. Each is different, and can have a different emphasis.

2) There are opportunities to work with the AD/R folks. My son is doing this now at a Sector. As an Aux member he is qualified to stand Quarterdeck (essentially security office), and is working on Watchstander. Both of these release AD personnel to do other things. He has also been out on SAR calls on 25 and 45 ft boats. So you can work with the AD/R folks if you train and qualify. You must meet their standards. Some of this is depends on the local station, but the ones in our AOR have been receptive to Aux augmentation. This can change with a change in command. I’m willing to bet they’d be glad to have the help.

3) I can’t speak to that. A DQ with no chance of waiver is just that. My son is going through the waiver process now. His recruiter thinks he has a chance, and wouldn’t take the time if he didn’t think it possible. However, MEPS makes the decision. 

MGG_Aux

--
    27 Jun 2014 11:54 AM
    Awesome! Thanks a lot for the answer.
    willekg

--
    23 Jul 2014 11:25 PM
    i am currently in the aux and training for watchstander. once i am done i plan to do my next training process for boat crew on 47ft and then 29ft. i volunteer along side active duty members and the only requirements they have for me is to perform to the same standards they are in all aspects of it. obviously if we are aux we cannot perform any military or police actions but at a small boat station where i volunteer at we mostly do SAR cases so that has yet to be an issue. As an aux member you can also perform up to engineer on a 47ft vessel but nothing more. so no, aux members cannot become coxswain of CG vessels, we can become coxswain of auxiliary vessels though. same goes for driving gv's. we can passenger but not operate.

On a side note the flotilla i am from and where i volunteer are 48 miles apart and because there is always traffic take me at least 1.25 hours to travel. so as long as you are willing to travel a bit more opportunities arise for you. so if you are willing to put the time and effort in to train with active duty its as easy as joining the aux and then going through your flotilla commander.

as far as #3 i can't be sure. that seems to be really something your recruiter and you would have to work out. maybe if you put some time in you might be able to get a letter of rec from where ever you volunteer at but i cant be sure that would help if at all since i have no real experience with that.

sounds like what i am currently doing is similar to what you would like to do, i may not be an expert but i would be glad to help you out how i can. first thing first though, get a hold of a flotilla near you and see how to start the process.

best of luck.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    VicNaz1

--
    24 Nov 2014 02:51 PM
    I think MGG_Aux has an excellent chance of doing exactly what he wants except serving on a UTB. Sadly the last one was retired a few months ago. I will always miss 41453 but I'm training to get further qualified on the 45' RB-M and the 29' RB-S II and they're amazing boats. Every station is different and every commander and OOD is different. As with willekg above, travel is likely. I travel from the west side of the D.C. beltway to PAX river to serve at the station there (100 miles each way) and I do it very willingly.

It's work, hard work, but even if I go down for the weekend and all I get done is dockside training and helping the guys weed whack the grounds I feel I've contributed. If I take a watch at the radio so a 22 year old Petty Officer can hang out for a few hours in the galley with his wife and newborn I feel like I've done something. When I get underway and handle lines so a Boarding Officer can check out a small fishing boat I feel like I've done something. Maybe it's small help but it makes me feel good and it seems pretty worth while.

There's only a few hundred of us Aux. certified on Active Duty boats nation wide. If you manage to get it done, you'll be one of the few. Good luck, be proud.

---
    Active Forums 4.3