Will joining college pose a threat?
Last Post 14 Oct 2019 12:22 AM by Arctic Bosun. 4 Replies.
Author Messages
Julian.Japan

--
14 May 2013 09:07 PM
    Hey everyone,
    So i'm graduating from high school this end of May. I've already started the process with my recruiter in joining. My next step is my recruiter to call me back so we can set a date for me to take the ASVAB.
    I've heard the wait till i ship to bootcamp is roughly around 6months-1year if i'm correct.

QUESTION IS..
    Do you think it is worth it to sign up for college and start attending because the wait could be a bit long? Or would it be more wise to not register and just work until ship date.
    Will joining college now affect my process with joining the CG?

Thanks!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    14 May 2013 10:37 PM
    No it will not affect joining the CG. Sign up for college it is going to be a while before you go to bootcamp
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ClaytonR

--
    26 May 2013 09:28 AM

Posted By Bells on 14 May 2013 11:37 PM

Heed this advice. I wish I had listened the many times I read it, but I didn't want to take on additional student loans.

I could have hammered out another year and a half of school if I'd taken classes while waiting to ship.
    NoIdentity

--
    30 May 2013 08:15 PM
    I agree with Bells and ClaytonR. Take a few courses while you wait.
    Arctic Bosun

--
    14 Oct 2019 12:22 AM
    Reserve service was an excellent decision for my college studies. Challenges of collegiate studies included accommodating a wife, two teenagers, and long hours of seasonal work in the commercial salmon fishery.

Reserve service earned GI bill payments. Three commands, USCGC Mustang, MSO Anchorage, and MSD St. Paul accommodating long absences from duty. These three commands also permitted me lots of active duty augmentation time. ‘twas a win-win situation, because I could start and compete projects working a minimum of five consecutive active duty days vis-à-vis one weekend a month. I frequently worked more than five consecutive active duty working days.

In one situation my Coast Guard Reserve affiliation gave me a measure of credibility for a positive outcome with what could have been an adverse civilian employment situation. I suspect that my Coast Guard Reserve service was a positive consideration when being hired by civilian employers.

Healthcare benefits resulting from reserve retirement was helpful for covering medical expenses for the last two years. More importantly my wife and I enjoyed very good healthcare treatment from the nearby military hospital, for emergency room, inpatient, and specialty care.
    Reserve service worked out very well for the Coast Guard as well as for my personal situation.

Just a thought to consider if you are college bound.

---
    Active Forums 4.3