College
Last Post 18 Oct 2019 11:04 AM by reiss_pieces11. 10 Replies.
Author Messages
Crepitus21

--
04 Oct 2019 09:06 PM
    Curious to know if I can choose what college I want to join after boot camp? Or do I have to go to Connecticut for college?
    CCCSD

--
    04 Oct 2019 11:26 PM
    Be more specific.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    05 Oct 2019 06:28 AM
    You can choose a college wherever you want. If you want to use tuition assistance from the Coast Guard it must be an accredited college. The Coast Guard doesn't stop people from choosing where they want to go to college, it's just up to you to figure out how to attend and complete your school work while putting the Coast Giard first.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    05 Oct 2019 09:16 AM
    Here is the link to fiscal year 2020 tuition assistance policy.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/26407d1?fbclid=IwAR1XCyDgwf0a_LAkYmflFsVGMcPlpT_0DqcrofAlc6VtCfYqzrd98kSbl8o
    Crepitus21

--
    08 Oct 2019 02:51 PM
    Exactly what I wanted to know, thanks.
    reiss_pieces11

--
    09 Oct 2019 11:08 AM
    If you were to choose to go to the academy in CT, you would be graduating as an officer upon completion. This, I believe and correct me if I'm wrong, is different than the track Coasties who graduate from basic training usually go. If you graduate from basic training, you usually take the track of "Enlisted Grades" (E-#). If you graduate from the USCGA, you usually take the track of "Officer Grades" (O-#).
    Keep Calm and Love a Coastie!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    09 Oct 2019 04:09 PM
    just an fyi- my son finished his BA and recently completed his masters as an enlisted. He didn't do classes until after he got a land billet. He will be going to OCS in January
    Crepitus21

--
    16 Oct 2019 02:03 PM
    Thanks guys for your responses. My ultimate goal is to become an Officer, I really wanted to go to a college of my choice, but it wasn't clear to me if I could do that and still become an Officer right after college. It appears to me that the Coast Guard Academy in Connecticut would be the best choice for becoming an Officer. Thanks everyone.
    reiss_pieces11

--
    17 Oct 2019 02:32 PM
    You can also talk to a recruiter, which might be your best bet so that you get clear answers! Best of luck!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    17 Oct 2019 03:48 PM
    If you go to boot camp then you wont be going to the Academy. Once you are enlisted you have to apply for OCS if you want to become an officer. The academy is a very competitive school to get into, just keep that in mind if you choose that over boot camp.
    reiss_pieces11

--
    18 Oct 2019 11:04 AM
    Adding to what jdhusker said, and not trying to scare you from the academy... I have a few connections to people who are in/ applied (since I went to school in CT). It is very demanding and you need good grades. My friend's ex applied there and got in, but he also took mostly AP classes in high school and also got into Cornell (an ivy league which he ended up going to on NROTC). If you lie or are caught cheating in the academy, you may be kicked out (happened to a person I know of). Of course, in BC that could happen to (being reverted if caught); however, BC is only 2 months. USCGA is much longer.

Forgot about OCS since most of the people I know in the CG go the Enlisted Grades route!

---
    Active Forums 4.3