Display Name revisited
Last Post 08 Mar 2014 10:47 AM by chukles. 40 Replies.
Author Messages
admin

--
29 Jun 2010 12:56 PM
    There has been a lot of confusion regarding Displayname and Username.

Currently Displayname is what you see in the forum and Username is what you login with.

Since Displayname can be changed a user can constantly change who they appear to be. This is not a desirable feature in a forum as it can lead to confusion.

So we are proposing that we lock down Displayname to always be equal to Username. This is how it worked in the old forum. But before I do this, I would like to give the community an opportunity to provide feedback.

For a limited time I am willing to adjust a member’s username (You would need to PM me with the requested change) and I will always be open to changes if it is a privacy issue.

Thanks
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Jun 2010 01:04 PM
    I don't mind the display name change option. There was a thing on the old site that we could put "notes" (for lack of a better word) under our name and that was changeable. I rarely ever change my name but I would like to maintain the option of changing it with my mood. I don't see too much confusion because it will change on every post, no? So if I change tomorrow to Seneca Mom, it will be Seneca Mom on everything... then when I change back to Old Guard, it will be Old Guard back on all messages. So it isn't like we can attempt to hide behind a made up screen name for a post or two then change back again.

I'm easy, I go along to get along... so that is just my two cents... do with it what you will. I'll still be kicking around here. :-)
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    29 Jun 2010 01:51 PM
    I concur with Macie...
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    29 Jun 2010 01:54 PM
    I would agree with admin. The ability to change the display name can cause confusion. For someone following a specific persons plight or thread, I think it adds confusion. MY suggestion would be to lock the display name down.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    admin

--
    29 Jun 2010 01:59 PM
    Yes it is true that if a Displayname is changed all posts by that user will reflect the change
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Jun 2010 02:04 PM
    Then following a thread or a plight or a person really shouldn't be a problem. The old site we could click on a name and see the last 5 posts by that person but since this isn't an option anymore (I don't feel one way or another about that one) I'll just have to be smart enough to remember the post that started whatever I was talking to someone about. For that I can click on the "my threads" thingy and find what I was posting anyway.

I say it can be a fun option so long as people don't abuse it with changing to questionable names or something. But I think the great majority of us have the maturity to not do something that darn goofy!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    29 Jun 2010 02:29 PM
    Agree with Chuck and Admin on this one. Pick a name and stick with it!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    29 Jun 2010 02:57 PM
    +1 Pepper

The option should exist to change it, but it shouldn't be a free for all.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    29 Jun 2010 03:57 PM
    If we lock down the name will users still be able to change their avatar photos or would that lock down as well.

I do not change names so I will be happy with whatever outcomes transpires on the name lock down...plus I got bigger font so no complaints here :-)
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    29 Jun 2010 04:45 PM
    I don't think Gears should be able to change his avatar photo ever again after that one unfortunate incident. Yes, I know he says Macie put him up to it, but I wouldn't let a 10 year old get away with that excuse, let alone someone of Gears's age...
    admin

--
    29 Jun 2010 04:50 PM
    avatar photos will never be locked down
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Jun 2010 05:23 PM
    Oh good I can encourage Gears, ummm, I mean scold Gears for picture choices! LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    29 Jun 2010 06:39 PM
    What are you complaining about Wep? He was wearing chaps.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    29 Jun 2010 06:45 PM

Posted By Gears on 29 Jun 2010 07:39 PM
    What are you complaining about Wep? He was wearing chaps.

How did I miss all of this...
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Jun 2010 08:33 PM
    Kyle,

You missed the naked cowboy? Oh dear, I think I have to find that pic again.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    29 Jun 2010 08:35 PM
    Oh God, please no...
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    29 Jun 2010 09:39 PM
    I did...I did...but I may have to agree with Wep now that I know the content...lol
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    30 Jun 2010 05:55 AM
    He wasn't naked. He had on a hat and a pair of chaps. Macie really seemed to like it.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Jun 2010 06:01 AM
    Hey I live in Texas... that's the normal outfit of the day! HAHAHA
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    30 Jun 2010 08:38 AM
    What do you think I'm gonna wear when I come visit?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    30 Jun 2010 09:18 AM
    Macie- is that why you live in Texas?? I missed the picture..
    Proud Mom of FA MACKEY USCGC JARVIS (WHEC 725) Honolulu, HI
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    30 Jun 2010 09:23 AM

Posted By Gears on 30 Jun 2010 06:55 AM
    He wasn't naked. He had on a hat and a pair of chaps. Macie really seemed to like it.

Well if he had a hat on...it's all good
    admin

--
    02 Jul 2010 04:47 PM
    You may have noticed that Username is now displayed instead of Displayname.

As I said before, for a short time - if you do not like the username you selected I am willing to change it.

Just send me a Private Message with your current Username and the name you would like. If it is available, I will make the change.

TexasGrl

--
    05 Jul 2010 04:40 PM
    I am not sure how to send private messages but I really need mine changed do to the fact I am leaving for bootcamp soon and mine has my last name on it. I am really not trying to get myself extra attention if my CC is on this site. lol I would have changed it sooner but did not know the changes were going to be made.
    yaknowwhatimean

--
    06 Jul 2010 12:14 PM
    whoever can change usernames, this is ezekiel97, I had my username changed to E but I think it is too short, and would appreciate if someone would change it to ezekiel97 so I can login again Ill pm the admin also.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    06 Jul 2010 12:38 PM
    E,

I think the display name "E" is awesome. It's so aerodynamic!
    yaknowwhatimean

--
    06 Jul 2010 02:45 PM
    its so dynamic that I can't login with it. I am getting a parse error which is leading to the login name being too short to register. I'd love to keep E, thought about seeing if TheE was long enough, otherwise back to ezekiel97
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    06 Jul 2010 06:14 PM
    I thought you could have a separate log in and display name...
    Bappto

--
    07 Mar 2014 11:04 AM
    I'm curious if it's still possible to change my displayed name? I was relatively unaware of how much fun reading and posting on this forum would be and I would like to pick a name that is a bit more fitting and less "oh I don't know, I'll just type in something" ha! I was thinking of FoundBallast.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and if it can't be done no worries.
    "You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
    chukles

--
    07 Mar 2014 11:53 AM
    The name you chose is the name that sticks. We visited this a while back and elected to lock it down. As you do not have many posts, you may want to start a new account. When done, I will delete your old account.

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Bappto

--
    07 Mar 2014 12:30 PM
    Ok, I understand, I'll PM you if I decide to make a new account to delete this one.
    Thanks.
    "You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    07 Mar 2014 01:39 PM
    Lol. I missed this because I was in boot camp. What a bummer I missed the chaps avatar
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    07 Mar 2014 02:57 PM
    Bells, if there's enough interest I'll bring the chaps back.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    07 Mar 2014 03:07 PM
    What is the chaps avatar?
    chukles

--
    07 Mar 2014 03:53 PM
    Don't ask EvenKeel.....please don't ask!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    07 Mar 2014 04:09 PM
    Haha ok, belay last question. (Yep throwing around terms that I need to get used to for basic)
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    07 Mar 2014 04:19 PM
    That's two for chaps.. one against. Where's OldGuard? She needs to weigh in.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    07 Mar 2014 05:09 PM
    Chaps, Chaps, Chaps... :-) :-) :-)
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 Mar 2014 07:47 AM
    Chaps chaps chaps ... I want to see chaps.

As a side note everytime I try to write chaps my phone changes it to chaos! Chaps might bring chaos. Haha
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    08 Mar 2014 08:25 AM
    Now I'm so dang curious what chaps are... It is tempting to belay my last belay of my last question... Haha!
    chukles

--
    08 Mar 2014 10:47 AM
    Even,

Be careful of what you wish for!

---
    Active Forums 4.3