MEPS Temporary Disqualification
Last Post 28 Mar 2012 08:26 PM by Cooch. 9 Replies.
Author Messages
thom_84

--
02 Feb 2012 07:33 AM
    I submitted my medical paperwork to my recruiter but was informed that MEPS had temporarily disqualified me from being seen by MEPS because I had a minor procedure within the past 6 months. My recruiter told me that I had to then wait the 6 months before I could be seen by MEPS. After calling back my recruiter after the 6 months had passed, I was then informed that I needed a waiver to be seen by MEPS since I had already been disqualified one time. Note that the issue with the procedure did not determine the disqualification, rather it was simply because I had to wait six month post-op. First, since a temporary disqualification is temporary, then I assume it would expire after the 6 months. Second, would I need a waiver for a disqualification that was temporary? Any insight would be much appreciated!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    02 Feb 2012 08:22 AM
    A Temp DQ is just that.. a DQ based on a condition that may or may not be resolvable in a certain period of time. You shouldn't need a waiver to be evaluated by MEPS in a Temp DQ status. Contact your recruiter and politely ask why you need a waiver to process through MEPS with a temp DQ.

Good luck!
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    thom_84

--
    14 Feb 2012 07:07 PM
    Gears, I finally was able to get a hold of my recruiter. However, I was told that I do in fact need a waiver to be seen by MEPS since I was disqualified even though it was temporary. Do you have any suggestions as to handling this? I am still not getting an exact answer regarding the issue. Feel free to message me if you would like. Thanks!
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    14 Feb 2012 07:45 PM
    What you need is called a 'continue to process'. It is very similar to a waiver. It is where the Coast Guard medical officer reviews your paperwork and grants permission for you to be seen at MEPS. This is something that your recruiter would have to request.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    thom_84

--
    28 Mar 2012 07:24 AM
    My recruiter said to call the office back at the end of spring to check on any updates regarding accepting waivers. When asked regarding a 'continue in process', I was told that that is not a possibility at this time. One question is if I have already been cleared by MEPS by another branch of service, would that medical qualify for the USCG? I have been looking at officer programs with another branch and as a prerequisite, I had to be cleared by MEPS. Thanks for the advice so far!
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    28 Mar 2012 12:44 PM
    MEPS will simply see in the system that you already have a physical on file and they won't redo it. Just be patient if you can.
    thom_84

--
    28 Mar 2012 07:08 PM
    If I understand, this works to my benefit. If there are spots to fill when I contact my recruiter back, I should not have to see MEPS again for a physical since I have already been cleared. Technically, then, this physical I just took should be able to be counted toward the USCG. Somewhat correct? Thanks once again for the insight!

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    28 Mar 2012 07:39 PM
    They may have you do an inspect physical, just I double check some things, but it most likely won't be the full physical. Also, I misspoke earlier when I was talking about the continue to process waiver. With a temp DQ, all you have to do is wait out the prescribed amount of time and you should be good to go.
    thom_84

--
    28 Mar 2012 08:22 PM
    Cooch! Thanks again! It is interesting you say that about the temp DQ. The prescribed waiting period has been over for close to six months already. This is one of the main frustrations that I am still getting told I need a waiver even though the waiting period is over.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    28 Mar 2012 08:26 PM
    That's an odd situation. Have faith in your recruiter since they know all the ins and outs of your situation and your MEPS.

---
    Active Forums 4.3