DEPOT Non-Rates?
Last Post 17 Mar 2011 09:09 PM by poidogsailor. 12 Replies.
Author Messages
doublelucky

--
03 Mar 2011 02:16 AM
    I am in the process of coming back in the reserves after five years separated since I was an active duty BM3 with coxswain quals on 3 boats and a bundle of other qualification letters such as BO and POOD.  I was told there was a chance I would have to come out of DEPOT as a non-rate.  Do they actually graduate people from the DEPOT program as non-rates because it seems strange calling it the Direct Entry Petty Officer Training if this is the case?  Also, if I do come out of DEPOT as a BM why would I still have to attend BM A School?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Mar 2011 05:08 AM
    The only guess I would have... 5 years separated??? The CG changes rules & regs in 5 minutes. I can imagine in 5 years things may have changed, changed again and gone back to where they started only to change again. But I'm sure your recruiter would have a better answer than my guess. Best of luck with everything!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    DEPOT0311

--
    03 Mar 2011 07:02 AM
    I believe whether or not you graduate DEPOT as a nonrate depends on whether or not you have to attend A School afterward... that is figured out during the rate determination process.

I've seen some pictures of DEPOT graduates and the range appears to be E3-E6... at least with regard to collar insignia. Anybody else have ideas?

I'll find out on Sunday either way
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLurker22

--
    03 Mar 2011 04:33 PM
    When I went through DEPOT in July of 2010, we had one E5 and a few E4's in the class and the rest E3's. Whatever you were when you started, you were when you finished. I think it depended on if you picked a rate that you had previous experience in. I selected an ME billet but had no prior LE experience. Therefore, I started DEPOT as an E3 and after graduating A-school, will be an E4. Others in my class that already had LEO experience and were also going ME were placed in as an E4 and didn't have to go to A-school but would learn on the job at their unit.

If for some reason this isn't completely factual, please feel free to tell me the real reason as I'm not quite sure of all this. I can only say what I witnessed and experienced without getting an official explanation for it all.
    DEPOT0311

--
    03 Mar 2011 05:54 PM
    Check out this link for a definition of reserve enlisted programs: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/capemay/docs...tGuide.pdf
    doublelucky

--
    04 Mar 2011 12:22 AM
    Depot311, that's a great link. Old Guard 2 , yeah five years is a long time to have left and expect to come back as the same pay grade. But I am still hoping. I will be talking to the recruiter about it in the next few days. The Lurker 22: What was your experience like for going into the depot program...I mean what was the process for applying for it and all? Did you have to get approved for ME or since you came in as an E3 did they just send you on in? I am just wondering how they determine if they let someone in with Petty Officer status or not. Who makes that determination? Will I have an oppurtunity to present all the reasons why I would be a BM3 again (qualification letters, past marks, training attended, good page 7s etc...)Also, last time I made petty officer I was a striker, did not go to A school. Does anyone know if reserves can strike or is that just an active duty option? I'm thinking it would probably be faster to go to school as a reserve but I am just curious if it is an option.
    BDUB

--
    04 Mar 2011 06:07 AM
    Are any candidates without direct work related experience in the rate they picked still admitted into DEPOT? My recruiter has told me that "basically the Accelerated Petty Officer Program doesn't exist anymore" and DEPOT is only for those qualify for a rate through their directly related experience. The recruiting Website states otherwise, but it also still references REBI. I am applying for an enlistment in the reserves as an MST and was told I would have to go to BC. Not that I necessarily have a problem with that, but the less time I am away from work the better. I will be taking an ~70% pay cut with my E-3 salary. Please don't get me wrong. I understand I could be called up at any time and would have to be prepared to live off my CG salary under those circumstances, and would consider it an honor and privilage to serve.
    Brown Dog Farm

--
    04 Mar 2011 09:27 AM
    Dear TheLurker22:
    You said there was an E5 in your Depot class?  Do you remember what rate the PO was?  I'm going back into the reserves.  I spent 10 years active and separated as an MK2.
    doublelucky

--
    04 Mar 2011 02:13 PM
    BDUM,
    That is a good question, I was under the impression that it was for people with relevant work experience or education in their chosen rate OR for prior service people who have already had the full boot camp experience.  I have had both so I am hoping for E4 but I would not be the least bit suprised if I was made a seaman again. 

Can anyone tell me how big DEPOT classes are?  When I went through regular boot I had just over 100 shipmates, probably almost 50 guys per squad bay.  I am assuming they are not nearly as big but what are we talking about here?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLurker22

--
    07 Mar 2011 06:34 PM
    Posted By doublelucky on 04 Mar 2011 01:22 AM
    Depot311, that's a great link. Old Guard 2 , yeah five years is a long time to have left and expect to come back as the same pay grade. But I am still hoping. I will be talking to the recruiter about it in the next few days. The Lurker 22: What was your experience like for going into the depot program...I mean what was the process for applying for it and all? Did you have to get approved for ME or since you came in as an E3 did they just send you on in? I am just wondering how they determine if they let someone in with Petty Officer status or not. Who makes that determination? Will I have an oppurtunity to present all the reasons why I would be a BM3 again (qualification letters, past marks, training attended, good page 7s etc...)Also, last time I made petty officer I was a striker, did not go to A school. Does anyone know if reserves can strike or is that just an active duty option? I'm thinking it would probably be faster to go to school as a reserve but I am just curious if it is an option.

I'm not exactly sure how I qualified for DEPOT.  It's a combination of ASVAB (I got a 99), college degree (Psychology), managerial experience (hotel manager and teacher for 7 years combined) and experience in your chosen field.  I think it also hinged on the fact that there was an open billet that I wanted (ME at a PSU).  My case is one of don't look a gift horse in the mouth and I didn't question why I got accepted to DEPOT, I was just happy I was.

From what I hear, it's a package put together by your recruiter and it's the same for everyone.  That's why I think the open billet was what sealed it for me.  I'm sure that since you have the job related experience, you could start out above where I was at least as an E4 if not higher.  Other than this (as it really is all I know), your recruiter should be able to lay out all the particulars.  Sorry if this wasn't that much of a help because I didn't ask my recruiter questions for fear that they would take all the good news away from me.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLurker22

--
    07 Mar 2011 06:37 PM
    Posted By Brown Dog Farm on 04 Mar 2011 10:27 AM
    Dear TheLurker22:
    You said there was an E5 in your Depot class?  Do you remember what rate the PO was?  I'm going back into the reserves.  I spent 10 years active and separated as an MK2.

I don't remember his rate but I know he was prior Marine with around 8 years of service already.  I am not anywhere near the expert on it but I wouldn't be surprised if you could at least get back in as an MK3 if not an MK2 again.  I will always add that I really don't know why I got picked for DEPOT but am thanking my lucky stars everyday for this wonderful opportunity.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLurker22

--
    07 Mar 2011 06:41 PM
    Posted By doublelucky on 04 Mar 2011 03:13 PM
    BDUM,
    That is a good question, I was under the impression that it was for people with relevant work experience or education in their chosen rate OR for prior service people who have already had the full boot camp experience.  I have had both so I am hoping for E4 but I would not be the least bit suprised if I was made a seaman again. 

Can anyone tell me how big DEPOT classes are?  When I went through regular boot I had just over 100 shipmates, probably almost 50 guys per squad bay.  I am assuming they are not nearly as big but what are we talking about here?

I think DEPOT classes vary in size just like normal boot camp classes but mine was 31 when I started and graduated 28 (one left from emotional breakdown, one was sent home for not making weight and another broke his ankle/shin in the pugil sticks).  They might be taking more or less but I don't know how many are applying vs how many are accepted.  We only filled one squad bay and 3 females filled a squad bay by themselves on the other side.
    poidogsailor

--
    17 Mar 2011 09:09 PM
    I recently graduated from DEPOT and there was several BMs with 5 or more years separated from service and it's my understanding non of them had to attend A school again.  Hope this helps.

---
    Active Forums 4.3