Active Duty to SELRES to IRR
Last Post 05 Dec 2018 07:24 PM by CPORJM. 2 Replies.
Author Messages
B_mcc10ud

--
05 Dec 2018 05:57 PM
    heres a question. I just finished up my 4 years Active Duty obligation and in the whole process of preparing to get out, I apparently signed an AD-10 that put me into the SELRES. It's my stupidity for just signing where my XPO told me to sign without asking. But, I've requested to be switched to the IRR already but was told that I have to wait a year until that can happen. Also, started terminal August 28th..EOE was October 15th and first drill weekend was a month later. I still do not have a DD-214 and I have yet to even sign it. Ive reviewed it though, about 3 weeks ago. What are my options here? Am I SOL with the SELRES? Also, should I be concerned about not having my DD-214 yet?
    B_mcc10ud

--
    05 Dec 2018 06:09 PM
    Also, they talked about discharging me completely from the reserves. What kind off discharges are there for the reserves? How does that affect my benefits, GI bill, VA Loan etc? Im still on my first contract (4 years active duty, 4 years reserves/IRR etc)
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    05 Dec 2018 07:24 PM
    You definitely need to track down your 214. This is taking way too long. I've been a Reservist my entire career and each time I've been on AD long enough to warrant a 214 (3x), I've had it in hand by my RELAD date. I'd suggest that you start with your unit YN (if you've got one), otherwise your SPO will be starting point. As for VA bennies, as long as you've done a minimum of 90 days on AD (which you obviously have) and have an honorable discharge, you're good to go. I don't believe your Reserve status will play into this at all.

If you're going to be completely discharged from the CG, then the SELRES isn't an issue, and as far as types of Reserve discharges, I'm not sure there are different ones. If you're not going to be discharged , I think you're out of luck, since, by your own admission you didn't read the form you signed. The up side is that you only need to do a year before requesting transfer to the IRR.

As a side note, if you ever plan on using your Post 9-11 GI Bill benefits, the VA can be kind of wonky. When I applied about a year and a half ago so I could transfer that benefit to my son, who was a HS senior at the time, the VA tried telling me I only had 57 days of AD. Where they got that number, I haven't the slightest idea and they couldn't even tell me. All this to say, be prepared to send them your 214. The education side of the VA seems to have trouble verifying your service, since we're not DoD. On the other hand, the home loan side of the VA is super easy to deal with. Go figure.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Good luck!

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift

---
    Active Forums 4.3