USCG Forum
PSU Requirements
Last Post 16 Jan 2019 08:26 AM by CPORJM. 3 Replies.
Author Messages
reddot

--
15 Jan 2019 11:07 AM
    I am entering the USCG Reserve to do SAR but was offered a spot at a PSU. Recruiter says because they are shipping out this year before I finish boot, I would miss deployment and that it would be a good opportunity to learn from a PSU and get more time on a boat than at a station.

Is this valid/ worthwhile? My main interested is SAR, but the recruiter also said I would almost certainly need to do time at a PSU in the future.

Is it possible to transfer out of a PSU unit without deploying with them? I have nothing against deploying but if I'm going to do it, I would rather it be done in the context of SAR. 

Thank you.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    15 Jan 2019 08:37 PM
    You won't do SAR at a PSU. If SAR is where your interest lies and a PSU assignment doesn't interest you, then thell your recruiter that. This is your career and your life, not his.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    reddot

--
    15 Jan 2019 08:51 PM
    Thank you for your reply. I understand that PSUs do not do SAR– the main question is whether or not I will be transferred (whether I want to or not) to a PSU at some point during my USCG career. My recruiter told me that if you are within 100mi of a PSU, you will have to serve time there eventually, so I thought it may be better to do sooner than later.

Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    16 Jan 2019 08:26 AM
    AFAIK, there's nothing that says you HAVE to go to a PSU. That being said, if you plan on making the Reserve a second career, it will be strongly suggested that you go to one at some point for "career enhancement." My suggestion would be to go to a small boat station so you can do the SAR mission. That will likely be a four year tour. At that point, determine if you even want to stay in the CGR. If so, then you might have to consider a PSU assignment. If you decide to leave after your first enlistment, at least you got to do a mission that was of interest to you.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift

---
    Active Forums 4.3