DEPOT/A-School
Last Post 06 Aug 2019 01:03 PM by jdhusker. 6 Replies.
Author Messages
IronHorse0311

--
04 Aug 2019 10:40 PM
    I'm in my late 30s, but confident about passing the physical requirements and know about studying extremely hard on the ranks, ratings, and General Orders. Was there any other particular moment when you needed remedial training or were like, "Holy crap, I don't know if I'm gonna make it!" Ideally, I'd like to help my fellow shipmates, but did you find yourself in self-preservation survival mode most of the time? Is there an ideal month/season to go to Cape May when it comes to weather and classroom size? Is a smaller class easier, because the company commanders have more one-on-one time with the recruits? What's the most challenging part of Boatswain's Mate A-School training and the best ways to study up beforehand? Do the instructors yell and occasionally smoke out the students? Would my room at Training Center Yorktown have a reliable internet connection so I can Skype with my wife and kids?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Aug 2019 10:38 AM
    You will truly not get any say on class size or even have a clue before hand what that might be. You can ask to go a specific time of year but as a reservist, they like to put you in Depot around the same time that A School starts so you transition from one to the other. That's not a carved in stone rule, just something that is looked at. I think people run off the bus thinking holy crap I don't know if I'm going to make it. It is stressful from the first footstep. But with the right mindset and attitude, you can get through it. if I were to pick a time to go to Cape May, it would be fall. The weather is starting to cool off and the bugs might be at more of a minimum. But then you can end up in Yorktown in the winter. Maybe you are someone that works better sweating buckets so July & August might be premium months for you. Any way you slice this pie, it is going to be rough work! Figure out the best schedule for your family and ask for that time frame. It isn't guaranteed you'll get it but you can ask.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    05 Aug 2019 06:31 PM
    Depot classes will be approximately 20 people. I went to boot camp in spring and it snowed a little in the very beginning when I was there then got up to 90 degrees by the end. If you go to depot it's very fast paced and have all of the required knowledge memorized before you get there. If you are squared away then you can help your shipmates. If you get reverted in depot you get put in a full 8 week boot camp company.

Rooms in A-School dont have internet except in the common areas. You can get internet in your room at your own expense.
    IronHorse0311

--
    05 Aug 2019 09:12 PM
    My wife is a school teacher, so it's probably best for me to do A-School during the summer when she's on break from work. In addition to scheduled PT, do the instructors thrash the students every once in a while or are they pretty chill? I remember in Marine infantry school there were a few moments of feeling like I was back at Parris Island. As for internet, is there a computer terminal I have to use in the common area or can I just connect through my laptop?
    CCCSD

--
    05 Aug 2019 09:37 PM
    You may not have a choice on when you go.
    IronHorse0311

--
    06 Aug 2019 10:12 AM
    Posted By CCCSD on 05 Aug 2019 10:37 PM
    You may not have a choice on when you go.

Understood, but it doesn't hurt to try. Do you have any input on the other questions about life at A-School?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    06 Aug 2019 01:03 PM
    You should bring your own laptop, the Coast Guard doesn't provide computers for personal use. A-School is completely different from boot camp, instructors are not trained to yell or physically punish you. In A-School you get liberty after class everyday and on the weekends. It's a lot like living in a college dorm while going to school.

---
    Active Forums 4.3