Unit Locations
Last Post 29 Oct 2019 02:36 PM by CC2018. 5 Replies.
Author Messages
CC2018

--
09 Sep 2019 10:55 AM
    Good afternoon,

I am new to the Forum, I’m sorry for any duplications but I had a few questions. I’m 32 years old, live in Columbus, GA and have been with DHS as a law enforcement officer for the past 5 years. I am interested in the ME rate as I feel it relates directly to my civilian career. Given my current location I understand I will be traveling a considerable distance to drill. My questions are; if my civilian job (DHS) moves me to another state, can I transfer to a closer unit? Does it depend on current billets? I graduated FLETC UPTP in 2014, would I be exempt from “A” school for ME rate? Is the IV rate something I could apply for? I’m currently an 1801 with a DHS agency, not an 1811, not sure if I would be a contender. I have a BA and completing my Masters and hold a TS Clearance for what it’s worth. I know I’m late to the game but I have a strong desire to serve and feel the USCGR would be an excellent fit. 

Thanks
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    09 Sep 2019 03:31 PM
    Greetings....If your civilian employer moves you, it's possible to transfer units. That's assuming an open billet is available. If nothing is open, then you will be travelling to your old unit to drill, as it's your responsibility to ensure you meet participation requirements. I do not recommend junior enlisted travel outside the Reasonable Commuting Distance (RCD=100 miles round trip from zip code of residence), as it will eat up far too much of your pay, since you will be responsible for travel costs outside the RCD.

Exemption from A School would require a Rate Determination Package to be submitted by your recruiter to the ME Rating Force Master Chief. This would outline your LE skills and experience to see if you qualify for an A School waiver. Graduation from FLETC does not in and of itself exempt your from A School. Typically ME A School waivers are granted to those who have graduated from a police academy and have experience as a patrol cop, investigator, etc.

In order to apply for the IV rating, you must be a sworn LEO (Fed, State, or Local) . Since you're not an 1811, you would not qualify.

Regards
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    CC2018

--
    10 Sep 2019 06:52 PM
    Thank you for the reply. I am an sworn officer with the US Secret Service and have arrest powers, investigation powers, however, most of our job is protection and not the traditional patrol officer. I could see how that wouldn’t be a fit for Investigator rate. I will reach out to a recruiter and discuss the rate determination packet and go from there. I appreciate the info!

Thanks!
    CCCSD

--
    10 Sep 2019 09:25 PM
    Check with your agency and ensure that you are allowed to join.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    11 Sep 2019 08:52 AM
    Posted By CCCSD on 10 Sep 2019 09:25 PM
    Check with your agency and ensure that you are allowed to join.

Good point. I recall there was a time that USSS did not want their personnel in the Reserves due to the constant need for staffing protection details.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    CC2018

--
    29 Oct 2019 02:36 PM
    Sorry for the long delay. There was a time when USSS was making employees leave the Guard or Reserves, however, that is no longer the case. I would really like to serve and pursue the ME path with the Reserves, living in Georgia could make it difficult with the commuting distance. Curious if anyone here has commuted 3-4 hours for their drills? I understand the travel is on me. Anyone know what the DEPOT dates are for this year?

Thanks in advance.

---
    Active Forums 4.3