Reserve Direct Petty Officer Program to SRDC?
Last Post 07 Apr 2010 12:06 PM by Cooch. 2 Replies.
Author Messages
bengeeee

--
07 Apr 2010 05:33 AM
    Hello all and thanks in advance,

Hoping that you might be able to answer some questions I have about Maritime Enforcement billets, the Reserve Direct Petty Officer Program, and SRDC.

1). Realistically how difficult is it to get a billet in Maritime enforcement these days.  I've read some posts about how billets are being reduced and how the CG is fat all around.  Hoping that doesnt rule ME out for me. 

2). Im assuming there is a Direct Petty Officer Program for ME.  Is this true and if so how competitive is it to get in or would the program not be specifically for ME and would i have to apply for ME after initial training?  I really dont think I'd be interested in something else although I could be wrong as I only know what I've read on the net... rolleyes

3). If the reserve petty officer program is an option for me, how long would I have to wait for SRDC after making it through the program or do I only have to wait for E5?  Any chance I can get in as an E5 through the direct petty officer program? 

My ultimate goal (as of now with little exposure to military life except for njrotc in hs and a semester of rotc in college which i know isnt much), is to become an Officer.  Im 26 with about 90 credits...  but only 75 towards my major.  I've been a police officer for 5 years.  Im also interested in the Investigator IV position but from what I've heard it requires extensive investigative experience and to be honest I think a deployment or 2 or 3 as ME would be great experience for me.  Don't want to get too ahead of myself and realize that going in as enlisted in no way guarantees me a spot in SRDC, nor am I absolutely positive wouldn't prefer to stay enlisted.  Right now I would just like to know if its even possible and if very unlikely i'd like someone to tell me.

I'm in the beginning stages of talking to a recruiter in the Baltimore area who so far has been very helpful.  It just seems that these guys are way over worked and if I can answer some of my questions here it would be great.

Thanks again,

Ben
    bengeeee

--
    07 Apr 2010 06:50 AM
    Also just to clarify I'm really only interested in reserve programs. Just out of curiosity, I noticed in the ME overview that warrant officer is a possible career path. Is this open to reservists and if so what are the requirments to apply?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    07 Apr 2010 12:06 PM
    There are still some reserve spots open at various offices around the country. Being a police officer would most certainly help you get one of those positions. I would call your local recruiter as soon as you get a chance, as spots are filling up.

And yes, you would be able to take the career path to CWO as a reservist, depending on the number of ME CWOs in the reserves.

"If being an egomaniac means I believe in what I do and in my art or music, then in that respect you can call me that... I believe in what I do, and I'll say it."  -  John Lennon

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.

---
    Active Forums 4.3