OCS-R FY 2019
Last Post 15 Aug 2019 09:27 AM by nwass52. 47 Replies.
Author Messages
RPJ2019

--
20 May 2019 11:11 AM
    I figured I'd start a thread following those of us applying for OCS-R in this summer of 2019. Applications I know are due May 31 2019 and board will hold interviews in the first week of June 2019. This could be a good spot to house questions/updates for people in this cycle.

It's my first time applying after waiting the long waiver period after getting PRK the previous summer of 2018. My recruiter told me applications are due at the end of this month and all interviews should be held during the first week of June. 

Would love to hear everyone involved and their backgrounds and updates from their recruiters.
    DariustheDukes

--
    11 Jun 2019 09:43 AM
    Waiting to submit my application for upcoming June/Sep deadlines. I found out today that MEPS finally qualified me after 9 long months
    hollow23

--
    11 Jun 2019 12:31 PM
    @darius

are you active duty?
    DariustheDukes

--
    12 Jun 2019 02:39 PM
    No, I am civilian, no prior military. I just hold a bachelor degree. My package is complete, I already had the officer interview with the selection panel, MEPS cleared me and 88 on ASVAB. Im just waiting to hear the results in the upcoming weeks
    hollow23

--
    12 Jun 2019 07:34 PM
    How was your interview process..
    KB27

--
    12 Jun 2019 07:39 PM
    I interviewed 1.5 yrs ago, this is the last panel my interview is good on, and the third I'm applying to. From my experience, the interview is mainly based on your previous experiences, expect the panel to be VERY familiar with your package, so you better be too. The best advice I received during my first application was "know your story", meaning not needing references to talk about your experiences. Beyond normal leadership and management questions, my questions mostly started by them referencing something in my package and asking me to elaborate or a specific question about it.
    DariustheDukes

--
    13 Jun 2019 07:15 AM
    To piggyback, the interview is about YOU. The questions are centered around what you put in your package. My recruiter wants me to interview again for the September deadline however, he is accepting my interview from december 2018 for the ocs-r deadline.
    kirkaland

--
    13 Jun 2019 08:50 AM
    Posted By DariustheDukes on 13 Jun 2019 08:15 AM
    To piggyback, the interview is about YOU. The questions are centered around what you put in your package. My recruiter wants me to interview again for the September deadline however, he is accepting my interview from december 2018 for the ocs-r deadline.

Your interview is the most important part of the packet that the board looks at. If your recruiter wants you to redo the interview he/she is probably trying to tell you that you have room to improve there.
    DariustheDukes

--
    13 Jun 2019 11:13 AM
    I understand.  I am going to submit my application  this summer for OCS-R and again in September  for OCS-R

hollow23

--
    13 Jun 2019 02:43 PM
    thanks for the feed back. I am doing my interview later this month for the September panel.
    hollow23

--
    13 Jun 2019 02:44 PM
    I spoke with some members that are going to conduct my interview and they said it will be relax and conversational, they are just trying to see who I am as a person and If they could see me leading and'or working for them. Told me to bring donuts and coffee lol.
    DariustheDukes

--
    25 Jun 2019 07:29 AM
    Anyone know the panels dates and application deadlines?
    RPJ2019

--
    25 Jun 2019 07:39 AM
    Pretty sure deadline for this class was May 31. Board meets in late July and decision won’t come until September or even early October is what my recruiter told me. 

Got my interview tomorrow! I’ve heard they want to know if you’re really just a “good person” or not. Very relaxed. 
    DariustheDukes

--
    25 Jun 2019 07:48 AM
    Posted By RPJ2019 on 25 Jun 2019 08:39 AM
    Pretty sure deadline for this class was May 31. Board meets in late July and decision won’t come until September or even early October is what my recruiter told me. 

Got my interview tomorrow! I’ve heard they want to know if you’re really just a “good person” or not. Very relaxed. 

Thank you and good luck!!
    hollow23

--
    25 Jun 2019 09:26 AM

keep us posted and let us know how it goes.  Best of luck!
    hollow23

--
    27 Jun 2019 07:49 AM

How did everything go with your interview? any details ?!?
    RPJ2019

--
    27 Jun 2019 04:46 PM
    Interview went great! Like I was told they started off saying that it is going to be relaxed and conversational.

Starting off they asked me to tell them a little about myself, very standard stuff. I made it point to not regurgitate my resume to them, but instead tell them about my hobbies, interests, etc. They liked it.

The questions that followed were mostly situational like what would you do with a disgruntled subordinate, how would you tell them that they are not cutting it, things like that. Any experience that I had dealing with people as a leader and managing confrontation, they went deep in that. 

Also know you package really really well. Any awards you have you better know what they are and the description you put for each. I studied my resume to the tee and just practiced memorizing it so I wouldn't stutter. I would also pocket like 3-4 good motivational or leadership experiences that you can tie into your answers. Know the missions of the CG and why you best fit it. Develop your "story" of why you want to be a candidate. 

Also also I brought in a copy of all my application items, resumes, LORs, awards, you name it. If you see them writing that's a good thing so dont stress.

Go in with a smile and just be confident and have fun with it. 

DariustheDukes

--
    28 Jun 2019 08:01 AM
    Posted By RPJ2019 on 27 Jun 2019 05:46 PM
    Interview went great! Like I was told they started off saying that it is going to be relaxed and conversational.

Starting off they asked me to tell them a little about myself, very standard stuff. I made it point to not regurgitate my resume to them, but instead tell them about my hobbies, interests, etc. They liked it.

The questions that followed were mostly situational like what would you do with a disgruntled subordinate, how would you tell them that they are not cutting it, things like that. Any experience that I had dealing with people as a leader and managing confrontation, they went deep in that. 

Also know you package really really well. Any awards you have you better know what they are and the description you put for each. I studied my resume to the tee and just practiced memorizing it so I wouldn't stutter. I would also pocket like 3-4 good motivational or leadership experiences that you can tie into your answers. Know the missions of the CG and why you best fit it. Develop your "story" of why you want to be a candidate. 

Also also I brought in a copy of all my application items, resumes, LORs, awards, you name it. If you see them writing that's a good thing so dont stress.

Glad to hear that it went well!
    hollow23

--
    28 Jun 2019 09:04 AM

glad it went well! I have mine on Monday.  Thanks for the tips

DariustheDukes

--
    28 Jun 2019 10:27 AM
    Posted By hollow23 on 28 Jun 2019 10:04 AM

glad it went well! I have mine on Monday.  Thanks for the tips

Good luck!!

RPJ2019

--
    28 Jun 2019 11:26 AM
    No problem! Good luck. Let us know how it goes afterwards.
    RPJ2019

--
    11 Jul 2019 08:21 AM
    How did it go???
    hollow23

--
    11 Jul 2019 12:20 PM
    interview went well.  we spoke briefly about my actual job and spent the majority of the time talking about life. It was real laid back and relaxed environment.  I asked 3 questioned at the end of the interview and they were really eager to speak about themselves and their story. So have question for them at the end.  The interview was about 1.5 hrs usually takes about a hr but I have alot to talk about so we ended up getting kick out the conference room.  I brought coffee and donuts and they really enjoyed that and liked the gesture. especially since i was pulling them away from work. Overall I felt really good about it..alot of smiles and note taking on their end.. I heard I did well, so I will just wait and see how the rest of this process goes.. 

I actually need a dependent waiver.. so I will be waiting on that if selected.  I was told that they will give waivers once youve been selected and not before. sounds strange but that was what the recruiter told me.  Im also over the weight limit but under the BMI waist neck measurement. I lift a lot and workout a bunch.. I will always be over the weight limit. so I have a few hurdles to overcome until everything is complete.
    hollow23

--
    11 Jul 2019 12:23 PM
    thanks for checking back in.
    RPJ2019

--
    11 Jul 2019 01:01 PM
    Cool well congrats! 

Now we play the waiting game. Probably won't find out anything until September which is later than I wanted but gotta roll with the punches. 

If anyone else finds out any new or updated information please feel free to share em here because I know I am not the only one dying to hear back with selections and other news
    DariustheDukes

--
    11 Jul 2019 01:12 PM
    Recruiter informed me that the Panel meets July 29th and the results will be posted 3 weeks after
    hollow23

--
    11 Jul 2019 01:12 PM
    yea Im used to the waiting game with the military. I may have to deploy in October so i really need to know these results and when we would commission.
    RPJ2019

--
    11 Jul 2019 01:55 PM
    So the week of August 19th. Good to know, that is actually a lot sooner than I thought they would come out with them.
    hollow23

--
    11 Jul 2019 09:04 PM
    Posted By RPJ2019 on 11 Jul 2019 02:55 PM
    So the week of August 19th. Good to know, that is actually a lot sooner than I thought they would come out with them.

See i havent heard anything about aug 19th. I was told like Nov Dec offically.
    DariustheDukes

--
    12 Jul 2019 07:08 AM
    Posted By hollow23 on 11 Jul 2019 10:04 PM
    Posted By RPJ2019 on 11 Jul 2019 02:55 PM

See i havent heard anything about aug 19th. I was told like Nov Dec offically.

But isnt OCS Jan 2020 and July 2020?
    hollow23

--
    12 Jul 2019 10:13 AM
    im not sure when it is. The dates have moved around in the past.
    hollow23

--
    12 Jul 2019 10:16 AM
    im applying for the DCO program. but the OCS folks are actually with the DCO people the 1st week.
    flst8

--
    12 Jul 2019 05:21 PM
    Results for the last go round came out about three weeks post board meeting, but it varies from panel to panel. I'm in the waiting game myself, good luck to everyone!
    nwass52

--
    26 Jul 2019 08:35 AM
    Yeah, I have to get  waiver too because of shoulder surgery I had a while back. My recruiter said he will fight for me so it sounds like waivers aren't too tough unless its serious. 

I was also over the weight limit mostly due to my body type (220lb with 11% BF). I also lift/run/swim so I am not overweight, it was just the way MEPS shook down (measured me at 5'11" at MEPS but was measured at 6'1" for a football tryout in 2018). But I decided to cut back on my eating and eat a ton of fruit and veggies (Pineapple is amazing for cutting weight) and I dropped 15lbs. MEPS doc also said to work on my neck. So I've been doing shrugs with every lift and its definitely helped.

**This was in response to hollow23 but I'm dumb and cannot post on this forum correctly
    hollow23

--
    26 Jul 2019 10:21 AM
    Posted By nwass52 on 26 Jul 2019 09:35 AM
    Yeah, I have to get  waiver too because of shoulder surgery I had a while back. My recruiter said he will fight for me so it sounds like waivers aren't too tough unless its serious. 

I was also over the weight limit mostly due to my body type (220lb with 11% BF). I also lift/run/swim so I am not overweight, it was just the way MEPS shook down (measured me at 5'11" at MEPS but was measured at 6'1" for a football tryout in 2018). But I decided to cut back on my eating and eat a ton of fruit and veggies (Pineapple is amazing for cutting weight) and I dropped 15lbs. MEPS doc also said to work on my neck. So I've been doing shrugs with every lift and its definitely helped.

**This was in response to hollow23 but I'm dumb and cannot post on this forum correctly

thanks for the reply.. im in the same boat as you.. but I needed a dependent waiver being that im over the limit... I didnt go to MEPS i just went to my military doc to sign the documents.  I am over the weight limit by alot, but i am in no form obese or overweight.. I played college ball and i still have that athlete build.. im 5'11 220 as well, lift/swim/run/never failed a military PT test/pass all waist measurements.  I havent been 197 since 11th grade, so I dunno what they want from me lol.. I was told if selected you have a final weigh in with the recruiter and if you are over the limit you cant go.. I dont see how that possible, especially if you have already accepted the commission.. but it is what it is...
    nwass52

--
    01 Aug 2019 03:17 PM
    Was Monday for sure the day the Board met?
    hollow23

--
    02 Aug 2019 08:28 AM
    Posted By nwass52 on 01 Aug 2019 04:17 PM
    not sure about OCS but the DCO panel isnt meeting until late September. 

DariustheDukes

--
    02 Aug 2019 12:42 PM
    Posted By nwass52 on 01 Aug 2019 04:17 PM

For OCS? yes
    nwass52

--
    02 Aug 2019 12:57 PM
    Yeah for OCS. Okay cool, thanks. I had heard a few different dates being tossed around and wanted to have a better idea of when to expect word. Good luck to you all!
    DariustheDukes

--
    02 Aug 2019 02:55 PM
    Posted By nwass52 on 02 Aug 2019 01:57 PM
    Yeah for OCS. Okay cool, thanks. I had heard a few different dates being tossed around and wanted to have a better idea of when to expect word. Good luck to you all!

We should hear something in 3 weeks
    Good luck all!
    nwass52

--
    05 Aug 2019 08:46 AM
    I am a civilian (from an Air Force family) and I've visited a Sector and also a Small Boat Station as well as talked to as many USCG personnel as I can. I have researched the different career paths but I am interested to see what y'all are wanting to do/ if y'all have some expertise in the 4 different career areas.
    RPJ2019

--
    05 Aug 2019 12:41 PM
    Aviation for me
    DariustheDukes

--
    05 Aug 2019 02:04 PM
    Ashore Responder or Aviation
    nwass52

--
    05 Aug 2019 02:49 PM
    Are you wanting to go DSF? Or MSST?
    DariustheDukes

--
    06 Aug 2019 12:28 PM
    Posted By nwass52 on 05 Aug 2019 03:49 PM
    Are you wanting to go DSF? Or MSST?

MSST falls under the DSF umbrella as one of the Focus Areas. Other Focus Areas include TACLET, NSF, RDL, NCW, PSU and MSRT
    m_meis

--
    14 Aug 2019 12:27 PM
    Has anyone heard anything? My recruiter called and left a message saying some information was available... no response when trying to return call.
    m_meis

--
    15 Aug 2019 08:46 AM
    List is out for the recruiters to access! I'm going to OCS!!
    nwass52

--
    15 Aug 2019 09:27 AM
    I did not get selected... Plan on resubmitting. Congrats to all who made it! Proud to have y'all defending this great country! Hopefully see y'all once I get in.

---
    Active Forums 4.3