Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
I thought it was funny atleast...
Last Post 23 Apr 2011 10:50 PM by SamuraiX. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Jakub17523

--
23 Feb 2011 06:30 PM
    My friend's daughter asked my today if I ever get scared of being knocked overboard or thrown out of the boat while speeding. I told her no but as I started to think about it the funnier it became. How ironic would it be to be a coastie scared of getting on a boat for fear of being knocked overboard?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    24 Feb 2011 04:57 AM
    I dunno, I mean debilitatingly scared... that's a problem, but I'm sure it's crossed quite a few coast guard members' minds. It's like a fighter pilot thinking about being shot down. Sure, it could happen, you should probably be at least a LITTLE scared of it, that way you're careful about it.

I always thought the same thing though when I read about old pirates and ship crewmen who couldn't swim. It's one of those "wait what?" moments. Your career has you living on a ship for months at a time and you can't swim?
    Jakub17523

--
    24 Feb 2011 09:13 AM
    I think I'm one of those fellows who'd rather just remind himself that he's not a princess and that his momma raised a boy, not a girl (No offense to any females) rather than counting all the dangers in the world. Just do what you gotta do. Don't complain, don't think, just do it.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    24 Feb 2011 09:43 AM
    You don't have to be a "princess" to be aware that you're doing something dangerous. Now, you WOULD have to be a moron to do something dangerous without at least considering that it IS dangerous.

In fact, I'm willing to bet MOST people who end up overboard... probably weren't thinking about being overboard just before it happened.

All I'm saying is that there is a difference between being petrified by the fear of what could go wrong and being aware of what could go wrong.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    COASTIE_OS

--
    24 Feb 2011 09:55 AM
    I find it worse not to have a little fear... Makes you a little less human to be stone cold and say you're not afraid of things like that. Joining the military is not about being fearless or not a "princess" as you say.... I'm in the CG and a female and I fear that often. I would freak out if we really capsized or sunk the boat. I think all my training would leave my head for at least a second.
    Jakub17523

--
    25 Feb 2011 08:04 PM
    Posted By Eoghan Roe on 24 Feb 2011 10:43 AM
    You don't have to be a "princess" to be aware that you're doing something dangerous. Now, you WOULD have to be a moron to do something dangerous without at least considering that it IS dangerous.

If I wasn't acknowledging that it is dangerous or that it is hard, I wouldn't have to remind myself that its hard.

Posted By COASTIE_OS on 24 Feb 2011 10:55 AM
    I find it worse not to have a little fear... Makes you a little less human to be stone cold and say you're not afraid of things like that. Joining the military is not about being fearless or not a "princess" as you say.... I'm in the CG and a female and I fear that often. I would freak out if we really capsized or sunk the boat. I think all my training would leave my head for at least a second.
    A little less human or someone just as human with a slightly different perception on life and death? If you're thrown overboard going at certain speeds that water can be like concrete and you could very well die. I'm not afraid of death, if it's my time then it's my time and atleast I died doing something I tried my most of my life to do. I meant princess as in the characters out of fairy tales, not a general term for all girls. Real fragile and needing to be saved by a knight in shining armor. I respect everybody the same and there's alot of guys who couldn't do what you do Coastie_OS, and just as many girls who couldn't do what you do. I've never seen you in action, obviously, but coast guard is the best of the best in my opinion and I hope to work as well as you after bootcamp. Also, freaking out in a situation like that is natural, of course, but at the same time panicking wouldn't help anything at all. Deep breathes, then resort back to your training. I know you'd pull through in that situation. Personally I'd try my best not to freak out and let the situation get the best of me.

Anyways everybody, it was just a little thing I was asked that I thought was funny because I know people who are scared to even get knee deep in water, much less go on a boat and do things coasties are expected to do. I guess I just imagined them trying to do a coastie's everyday job. I didn't mean any harm and apologize for any offense you all have taken.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Eoghan Roe

--
    28 Feb 2011 05:52 AM
    None taken here. It's just like I said in my first post though, I always wonder about those people who want to be in a career field oriented toward being on a boat in high winds and big waves... and they can't swim. Or people who would sign up for work on skyscrapers and whatnot, while being afraid of heights. I think everyone should know and respect their limits. Sure, push them, but you HAVE to know where they are.
    SamuraiX

--
    23 Apr 2011 10:50 PM
     Also, freaking out in a situation like that is natural, of course, but at the same time panicking wouldn't help anything at all. Deep breathes, then resort back to your training. I know you'd pull through in that situation. Personally I'd try my best not to freak out and let the situation get the best of me.

Like Bells' quote on his posts say: I dont want to be a product of my environment, i want my environment to be a product of me. lol, i think this applies to just about every situation one can be placed in!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement