Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Employer wants a copy of "my orders" ?
Last Post 01 Mar 2011 05:45 PM by nengland. 13 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
nengland

--
23 Feb 2011 10:55 PM
    I notified my employer that I would be taking military leave. They are recognizing my rights under the USERRA and need a copy of my orders. My recruiter doesn't seem sure what a print copy of "my orders" would be or what I should give my employer.

Could someone please suggest what he could print out?

Cape May in less than two weeks. I'm pumped! 
    mattchico

--
    24 Feb 2011 12:33 AM
    My recruiter sent me a letter informing me to report to the Phoenix MEPS (courtesy ship from Mom's house) detailing where I need to be and when I need to be there. Your recruiter could do the same perhaps?
    Your 2010 World Champions: The San Francisco Giants
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    nengland

--
    24 Feb 2011 01:22 AM
    Your recruiter personally drafted a letter? If that's the case then I'll start pressing for it now.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    24 Feb 2011 06:08 AM
    N,

Sent a pm with my contact info. Give me a call or have your recruiter give me a call. I will get you taken care of!
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    COASTIE_OS

--
    24 Feb 2011 08:19 AM
    You get orders to bootcamp... I got orders. So there should be no problem getting a copy of them... But maybe times have changed...
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    nengland

--
    24 Feb 2011 11:30 AM
    Chukles, you the man! Thanks for hooking me up. 
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    gdeyarmond

--
    24 Feb 2011 02:06 PM
    Did you end up going reserves or full time Enlisted?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    nengland

--
    24 Feb 2011 02:30 PM

Enlisted w/ a 6 year contract.

Trusted Member
    E

--
    24 Feb 2011 07:18 PM
    wait, if you are going enlisted why would you need to stay with your current employer?
    mattchico

--
    24 Feb 2011 10:12 PM
    Employees who leave for Military service have the right to return after separation.
    Your 2010 World Champions: The San Francisco Giants
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    nengland

--
    24 Feb 2011 11:00 PM
    It guarantees me reemployment for 5 years. Now obviously I've signed a 6 year contract... and if we're going to be frank then I'd like to be in for 20 years. The USERRA probably isn't going to do squat for me. Something bizarre and horrible could happen though in the next 5 years. So why would I throw away the free insurance policy?
    Hondata

--
    25 Feb 2011 01:59 PM
    same here. trying to figure out what i might need and what did you do? thanks

When are orders for basic drafted? i just found out today i leave on the 8th of march
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    nengland

--
    25 Feb 2011 03:27 PM
    Heya Hondata,

Congrats on your March 8th date and welcome to our company!

My understanding is that you have your orders. They were given to you verbally. That's good enough for most people. If you want to reserve your rights with your employer and they need a copy of the orders then your recruiter can draft a letter.

Mattchico's recruiter may have drafted his letter from scratch. I don't know. Chukles has a sample letter his office uses which he forwarded on to my recruiter. My recruiter suprised me the other day and said he already had something in the works so he may or may not use Chukles' form.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    nengland

--
    01 Mar 2011 05:45 PM
    I have an update which could be helpful for anyone else whose employer wants a copy of their orders.

The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), Title 38, United States Code, Section 4312 states that your responsibility as an employee is to provide your employer “advance written or verbal notice of such service” in order to retain your rights.

Basically an employer can want those orders and it may be their policy, but by law your only obligation as a servicemember is to tell your employer verbally or in writing. If they are insistant then simply, and politely direct them to Section 4312 of the code.

I work for a midsize bank and used this tack with great effect today. It took a lot of worry out of going back/forth between my recruiter and my HR rep.

Cheers.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement