Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Army to Coast Guard - LOTS of questions... Seriously... LOTS
Last Post 25 Feb 2011 08:35 PM by Old Guard2. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ArmyBOOMBOOM

--
24 Feb 2011 02:05 PM
    First of all, I would like to apologize for any questions I ask that may have an answer in a previous post. I am deployed right now and have VERY LITTLE internet time to read everyones posts. I'm actually reading this from a paper I wrote so I wouldnt waste time.

A little about me: I am 25 years old, married with a son. I joined the Army in 2003 for the invasion of Iraq. Ive had 3 combat tours and am currently E5 in Active Army. I get back to the states on April 28th and I get out of the Army 5 september 2011. I am interested in ending my Army service and joining the CG.

Here are some things I know about the process:

1. Being that there is no job in the CG like mine (cavalry scout) I will have to come in as an E3. I'm fine with that.
    2. I can't do anything to really begin the process till I am out of the Army. Atleast that is the assumption im under.
    3. I will have to attend 8 week basic training and A school. I actually look forward to the latter.
    4. There might be a wait for ship date to basic/A school. (How long Im not sure)

Thats pretty much all i know about the process..

Things I don't know, and would LOVE answers to:

1. Is there anything I can do while in the Army to speed up the process when i get out?
    2. I heard there is a possible wait to attend A school after basic; Will i get paid while I wait, where do I wait?
    3. Being that I am prior service, will my family come with me to A school? (will i live off/on post)
    4. After how many years in service can I retire, whats the lowest rank i can retire? I ask because Ill be an e3 with almost 9 years.

My biggest fear/concern with joining the CG is that I wont have a source of income once i get out of Army if i have to wait months to join and start getting paid. I do have a wife and child to support. Another thing is, what happens if I get out of the Army only to be rejected by the CG? Then I will be stuck. Is there anything that can bypass this?

I am actively talking with a recruiter. He sent me a Application and a medical screening. The thing is, 4/6 pages of the medical screening are supposed to be fill out by the screener. The application has questions that I cant answer till i get out.

Please help!!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    24 Feb 2011 03:25 PM
    OK first thing first these are just short answers a recruiter will correct it if im wrong

1. Yes you would come in as a e-3.
    2. 6 months before seperation you can start the recruiting process. you will have to retake your ASVAB along with a meps physical
    3. correct 8 weeks and A school will follow at some point
    4. the wait time various froma couple months to a few years

1. Start talking to the recruiter at your 6 month mark.
    2. You can only attend a school right after basic if you are going a criticial rate which is a FS= cook. if you chose another rate you will decide that once you go to your first unit and will put your name on the a school list
    3. No your family will not come to A school with you unless you are going IT or ET as the school length there is almost 7 months. All the other schools you will go TAD and your family will stay where ever you were stationed.
    4. 20 years is the time requirement just like the army. that is a 50% of base pay so remember to look into that. you can retire at any rate as long as your arent allowed to reenlist because of lack of motivation or some other reason as CRISP people out

There isnt much i can add to this
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Feb 2011 08:35 PM
    The only thing I want to add... Thank you for your service and be careful on this deployment. We all want you home safe. Best of luck in all the decisions! Let your wife know about our site, she can always hop on and get some answers to... for herself and for you! Army wife or Coast Guard wife, we'll all welcome her aboard, never matter which branch.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement