Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
USMC to USCG
Last Post 02 Mar 2011 04:31 AM by Baby6116. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Baby6116

--
27 Feb 2011 09:28 AM
    Good day gents,

I am currently in the Marines and have been for the past 8 years. I have been looking into the Coast Guard for about 1-2 years. After some research and a lot of phone calls I have found out one thing for sure, that recruiters will not even give me the time of day. I have a big issue with this problem. I have read about the rate change but not one recruiter will talk to me about this. I have gone as far as getting some numbers from DC. I know they really can not do anything until I have a DD-214 in hand but i would like to try to get something going now. I have about 1 year left and I can not take a chance of getting out and not have anything rolling. I have a wife and a child to think of. This is what i know as of now.

1. I will have to get out and what to see if I can get my rate that i want. 
    2. No one will really sit down and talk to me about the workings of what would happen.
    3. The rate change package nobody again will talk to me about how to go about trying to get this done
    4. They will not give me options

In short gents I would like options and somebody to talk to me about the routes we could take to try to make this happen. I know the Coast Guard is a small unique group and they have no issues with getting their numbers but i feel as if I have something i could bring to the table as well. 

I am a SSgt and an C school instructor for the V-22 Osprey mechanics. I have been on the program since their return to flight in 2003. Gone through the Operation Evaluation as well as a deployment in IRAQ. I am authorized to wear the Naval Aircrew insignia, And Combat Aircrew insignia. I am as qualified as I can be at this point in time ( CDQAR, Plane Capt, Confined Space entry, ect) Also I have my A&P License through the FAA. This is tough trying to get my answers. Thank you in advance to all who help.

Joe 

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    27 Feb 2011 10:35 AM
    I'm sure one of the active duty recruiters will be along to help you out. Let me thank you for your service. I saw an Osprey just last week doing touch-and-goes here in Myrtle Beach. Amazing technology.

How long before your enlistment ends? CG recruitesr will not talk to you until you are within 6 mos of EAS.

You will (most likely) take a reduction in rank to E-3 for entry into the CG unless your qualifications transfer directly to a CG Rating in aviation.

The Coast Guard is a great service and very tight knit..as are the Marines. There are lots of prior service people who have sucessfully made the change-over to the CG...I wish you the best of luck.

As I said earlier, an actve duty recruiter will help you out. CHUKLES, the moderator of this forum, is a Rceruiter In Charge, you can always send him a private message.

Best wishes

Pepper
    Baby6116

--
    27 Feb 2011 12:39 PM
    Thank you Pepper,

I have called a number of recruiters and they all just say sorry can't really help. I have a hard time taking that as an answer. The most help I have gotten has been from a Chief in MI (my home state) that is at MEPS and he helped some but not to much. I since then have called three different guys within NC that just passed me off to the next guy. It is getting very frustrating thats all. I thought i would do some more research and found this forum. 

I have just shy of a year left before my EAS so I would like to get as much info as i can. Also I would like to have something in the works so i wouldn't have to get out with hopes and dreams and now be out of a job. I am sure i could find something here but would like to avoid that transition is possible.  Even if i had something in writing from the Coast Guard saying that I would have my job and a ship date would be awesome. Not to sure on how keen i am about going to an E-3 again. It is a tough pill to swallow being a Staff Non Commissioned Officer to that. It would be very hard but I would like to find out as much as possible. 

Not to sure what the Coast Guard goes buy as far as Aviation but i know we follow the Navy standard things like the 4790, NAVAIR things like that.  So far as things that would transfer not to sure. These are the type questions i need answered. 

Again Thank you for the help I will be staying in tune with this post very closely. I would really like to be able to come into the Coast Guard.

Pepper: The V-22 is an awesome machine I love working and flying on it. Its like being in a drag car puts you to the back of the plane when you transition out to airplane mode.   
    Baby6116

--
    28 Feb 2011 04:24 PM
    Pepper I wanted to let you know I did send a message to CHUKLES. Thank you again

To anybody any thing you have for me thank you.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    28 Feb 2011 05:33 PM
     Chuck's a good guy, he'll give you the straight scoop.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    28 Feb 2011 07:21 PM
    Been slammed with homework, will get back to you soon!
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Baby6116

--
    01 Mar 2011 05:04 AM
    CHUKLES: Sounds good thank you.

Pepper: I have worked on that plane. I accepted that A/C from the factory and took it to England.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    01 Mar 2011 03:33 PM
    Baby6116,

First off, Let me start the converstion by saying thank you for your service and commitment to country. It is greatly appreciated.

Coast Guard recruiters will start working with you when you are 6 months from seperation. A DD-214 will be required.

The Major issue you have is the length of time you have in service.

Per our recruiting manual;

E-4 and Above. Applicants enlisting or re-enlisting in pay grade E-4 or above may not have more than 14 years of prior active service. This restriction does not apply to Coast Guard members re-enlisting within 24 hours of release from active duty.

2. E-3 and Below. Applicants enlisting or re-enlisting in the Coast Guard in pay grade E-3 or below, may not have more than six years of prior active service.

Aviation is not an open rate that you can transfer to so you will be coming in as an E3.

Therein lies the problem, as an E3 you have too much prior service time.

I know it is not what you want to hear, and I wish I had different answers. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Baby6116

--
    02 Mar 2011 04:31 AM
    Chukles,

Thank you for your time to answer my questions. I can tell you this that as muach as you just in the post is more than three recruiters in NC could do for me and I thank you for that. Thank all of you for the help you have given me. I have looked through this forum and it has been very helpfull.

Everyone take care and be safe

Semper fi
    Joe
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement