Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
BM question.
Last Post 02 Mar 2011 10:16 PM by Jeepin_Coastie. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Jeepin_Coastie

--
02 Mar 2011 04:00 PM

Hey everyone shipping out june 07 2011 for basic. I am most likely going to be striking my rate since the wait for A-School so long.
    I do have a couple of questions though. I am looking to work my way up to surfman so with that in mind just looking for other peoples input as to which they think would be the best option for me.

1) I hear from a lot of people that if you end up on a cutter or at a small boat station right out of basic eventually the CG will make one of your future assignments the opposite to give you experience in both environments. With that in mind and the fact that i'm going  after becoming a surfman, would it be advisable to request a cutter out of basic and strike there and get it out of the way? Or request a station and strike there and qual on the 47' MLB or any other small boat and try to get a command recommendation to be stationed at a heavy weather station/surf station for my next assignment?

2) If i should pick a cutter out of basic would it be better to try and get a larger cutter or a smaller cutter?

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    otnasirk

--
    02 Mar 2011 05:41 PM
    I wanted to be a BM but I'm 2 points short on my asvab.is there a way without retesting that I can still get in BM?

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 Mar 2011 08:20 PM
    You can beg, plead, cajole, barter for whatever station you want out of boot camp but you are at the mercies of the detailer. Also, you don't get to ask for specifics anymore, you request districts. You can put in the notes section what you might like to have. If the detailer is game they'll consider it, if not then they throw a dart over their shoulder and there you go.

Don't worry so much about striking, advancing, surfman until you actually get through boot camp. You may get to your first station, see a job you don't even know exists at this moment and do a complete 180 on what you might like to do in the CG. It isn't bad to be focused and have a plan but don't be so focused that you lose sight.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Jeepin_Coastie

--
    02 Mar 2011 10:12 PM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 02 Mar 2011 09:20 PM
    You can beg, plead, cajole, barter for whatever station you want out of boot camp but you are at the mercies of the detailer. Also, you don't get to ask for specifics anymore, you request districts. You can put in the notes section what you might like to have. If the detailer is game they'll consider it, if not then they throw a dart over their shoulder and there you go.

Don't worry so much about striking, advancing, surfman until you actually get through boot camp. You may get to your first station, see a job you don't even know exists at this moment and do a complete 180 on what you might like to do in the CG. It isn't bad to be focused and have a plan but don't be so focused that you lose sight.

Ma'am I understand and respect the opinion but i've done so much research since i was 12 pretty much half of my life time to this point i'm almost 25 next week. I know the nature of every rate and know a lot of people that are in so i know the truth. But you are right that could happen once i see it for myself. But I am so set on this  the likelyhood would be low. Heck i scare my recruiter sometimes when another applicant asks a question and i'm able to answer it lol.
    Jeepin_Coastie

--
    02 Mar 2011 10:16 PM
    Posted By otnasirk on 02 Mar 2011 06:41 PM
    I wanted to be a BM but I'm 2 points short on my asvab.is there a way without retesting that I can still get in BM?

Bro you can do 1 of 2 things. If you made the 45 AFQT score to get in and qualified for at least one job and  they process you in to go to boot camp. You can retake the sections that apply to BM they are the four sections that make up the AFQT AR, MK, PC, WK. Once you're out of boot camp you take retake specific parts of the test again. If you do not want to do that you may with the permission of the command at your first unit "Strike" the rate. Which is basically doing on the job training for your rate. If you want to go to the A-School though you would have to retake the asvab. Hope that answers your question man.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement