Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
A School Wait List for Reserves
Last Post 01 Apr 2012 10:41 PM by pilotdudeman1. 16 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
doublelucky

--
10 Mar 2011 10:54 AM
    Do reservists get put on the A School wait list with the active duty folks or are there a certain number of spots for reservists in each class?  I know that reservists get picked to fill certain billets in the area, but once they get that billet, will they always go to school at the next class or do they just get on the list and wait it out with the active duty side?  The reserve side of the house is new to me.
    bones101

--
    10 Mar 2011 12:26 PM
    I'm not sure if they have a certain number of slots for reservists at A school but I do know that if your going reserve you want to get a guranteed A School date from your recruiter. As a reservist you can get an A school date faster then an Active duty. I was one of the un-lucky ones that did not get an A school date prior to boot camp. Because of that I'm on a long long long list to attend BM A school. Every reservist I came into contact with at basic had a gurantee A school date.
    doublelucky

--
    10 Mar 2011 12:33 PM
    @ bones: Are you a reservist? Or did you just talk to reservists at boot who already had guaranteed A schools? I think guaranteed A school for active duty is hard to come by these days.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    10 Mar 2011 04:40 PM
    if your going reserve you want to get a guranteed A School date from your recruiter

As a reservist you are required to have a guaranteed school. The rules for AD and RSV are different.

I think guaranteed A school for active duty is hard to come by these days.

You are correct. Right now FS is the only guaranteed school if I'm not mistaken.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    doublelucky

--
    10 Mar 2011 09:50 PM
    @ Gears,

Do you happen to have any idea of how long a wait is for a reserve to go to his/her A School?  Is it usually the next class they offer?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    11 Mar 2011 05:22 AM
    Double,

It depends on the Reserve program your going into. Your recruiter will set up your "A" school date prior to shipping. If you are going into the split-training program (RK), typically, you'll go to boot camp your first summer, and "A" school the next.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    doublelucky

--
    11 Mar 2011 09:57 AM
    Thanks for the input, I'll be going DEPOT because I am prior CG but the reserve stuff is new to me.  I didn't know if I would be waiting in line with the active duty folks.  Thanks again.
    bones101

--
    11 Mar 2011 02:19 PM
    @doublucky,

Yes I am a reservist and I did not have a guaranteed A school when I finished boot camp. I had to wait until I reported to my unit for the first time and then they put me on the list. All of the other reservists I spoke with at boot camp had an exact date of when they were leaving for there A school.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    11 Mar 2011 02:43 PM
    Double,

Are you changing rates? If you aren't you shouldn't have to go to "A" school at all. You should graduate DEPOT as a Petty Officer.
    doublelucky

--
    11 Mar 2011 03:32 PM
    Bones, any idea why the recruiter did not give you A school before you left for Cape May?

Gears,

Yes I am a prior BM that had coxswain letters on 3 boats, POOD, BO, R & S, and Commercial Examiner and I am being told I might still have to attend A School. I even attended Coxswain C schools. I mean I understand I might have missed something since I have been gone but I am having trouble understanding what I am going to learn at A School that I have not already performed on the job in a supervisory role? Do they really have to teach a prior coxswain how to steer a course, operate a rader or make a bowline? Who actually makes this call? Is it the recruiter or someone higher up? Looking at the EPQ the only thing I think that would be a problem is that my written exams would not be current, ie DWO. I would really hope they would just let me order the test when I arrived at my unit. Sorry I just vented a little and if the coast guard wants me to go to A school to make rate again I will. My main goal is to be back in blue. However, if it turns out that I have to go to BM A school to be a BM again, I think I will make a rate change.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    11 Mar 2011 03:58 PM
    Double,

It's up to the RFMC whether or not you get reinstated as a BM. With your list of quals you shouldn't have a problem. I agree with you though, I don't see why you would have to attend "A" school again.
    Retired Randy

--
    15 Aug 2011 05:50 PM
    Can anyone tell me how the A school thing works for reservists. My wife is going through DEPOT how long will she have to attend school after that away from her civilian job and family. Is there OJT then pre-qual testing prior to school???.......Any info is appreciated.

Also any information on DEPOT, do you graduate as E-4 or E-3. I thought E-4 was the DEPOT program??

Thanks,

Big Sarge out!
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    15 Aug 2011 06:51 PM
    Randy,
    She is already in DEPOT? She will know when and the length of the A school prior to her attending DEPOT. A school is generally 10-14 weeks after boot camp graduation, but can vary depending on the specifics of her enlistment. Her recruiter will be the best source of information for her.
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    meeks1882

--
    21 Mar 2012 01:51 PM
    I recieved my A School date before my dates for DEPOT...still waiting on my DEPOT date actually. My recruiter told me it takes a few weeks after I get my A school date that I will get my DEPOT date. Just playing the waiting game for now.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    uttexican

--
    22 Mar 2012 06:33 AM
    Same experience for me...I got my A school date first and then my DEPOT date. DEPOT is 3 weeks and A school depends on the rate. I'll be an ME so my A school will be 10 weeks (actually 9 and change). Unless I'm mistaken, you graduate DEPOT as an E-3 but you'll graduate A school as E-4. My DEPOT is in July, but my A school isn't until January 2013, so her time away from her civilian job may not be all at once. She should already know her dates though if she's in DEPOT now.
    ENS Chris LaRocque "Happiness is a choice."
    meeks1882

--
    22 Mar 2012 04:02 PM
    My BM "A" school is december 3rd. So its looking like the july or september depot for this guy
    pilotdudeman1

--
    01 Apr 2012 10:41 PM
    I got my MK a school for Sept 4th.....
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement